Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

So I decided to make 2 videos of WipeOut and Final Fantasy 9 with my crappy digital camera in a dark room in my cellar so you don't see my reflection ^^

Both games are played mostly with the standard psx clock, FF9 in the last minutes with psx clock 20-50%.

Here you go.

The emulator is running at 310 Mhz with ram timings ON.

Wipeout: http://weltenbrand.eu/files/gp2x/wipeout_psx4gp2x_040507.avi
FF9: http://weltenbrand.eu/files/gp2x/ff9_psx4gp2x_040507.avi

damn i really need to buy a tv out cable :p

btw ff9 seems to have different movie formats. In the first intro sounds works but graphical glitches are there. In the second intro (after starting a new game) sound does not work but there aren't any graphical glitches.

Heh, 310 MHz. :eek:
Wipeout looks great, but I agree, your camera is crap. :)
Can't read any of the text, everything is very blurry.

I will still record Wipeout 2 and FF7 later tonight, my 2X only go as far as 250 MHz though.

hackgrind, you might want to host that on youtube or something, that will be some serious bandwidth, whether its your site or someone elses host. Im about to check out wipeout now.

hackgrid said:
So I decided to make 2 videos of WipeOut and Final Fantasy 9 with my crappy digital camera in a dark room in my cellar so you don't see my reflection ^^
Except that causes a longer shutter time and MORE blurryness, maybe it would be better to set it up so that you are in the dark and the GP is in the light? Maybe with a small lamp or something that has a shield on it so it won't light up you.

damn i really need to buy a tv out cable :p

Or make one ;).

On 040507 build I get 33+ FPS in the Ridge-Racer menu :D, even with the cars and everything.

According to the Namco extras disk that comes with RR4, the developers were trying to make the game run at 60fps and failed, could that have anything to do with the bad code?

In game it seems a little more responsive, but I really need to rip a different game to test.

Last edited by a moderator:
greenmikey said:
hackgrind, you might want to host that on youtube or something, that will be some serious bandwidth, whether its your site or someone elses host. Im about to check out wipeout now.
It's mine and I don't care ;)

@nubie: Mh...make one? Are EXT-Connector-thingies available now? I think I'll just spend 10€ on the original GP tv thingy when ED comes back from holiday ^^

Wow, anyone who thinks the GP2X can't do PSX emulation needs to watch that wipeout video - and Zod has said there is still much room for optimisation!

The fastest PSX emu ever made on any system? Has to be!

craigix said:
Wow, anyone who thinks the GP2X can't do PSX emulation needs to watch that wipeout video - and Zod has said there is still much room for optimisation!

Yea for the 1% of us that can overclock to *310 MHz* ;)

The rest of us get a slideshow.

I think it's time to think about framelimitting :D

No seriously, I had around 55fps in FF7 (simple screen without scrolling, only 1 character) and the game runs TOO fast :) but @30FPS the speed is normal

I'm happy to see you spotted the bug that causes garbage in Oddworld, because those game are already fast WITH (almost) good sound ;)

Wipeout is 13-16 FPS for me (270Mhz, ram timings, interlacing 1) unfortunately I don't have any cameras :( it is almost smooth, but half the speed

Tekken 3 is also running fine with interlacing 1 (thanks to it's resolution, there is no black lines)

DaveC said:
craigix said:

Yea for the 1% of us that can overclock to *310 MHz* ;)

310Mhz is rare indeed, but according to the chart on the overclocking post, most of us can clock between 260 and 280

at 270 i'm getting an average ~15fps :p

Yea for the 1% of us that can overclock to *310 MHz* wink.gif

Yeah DaveC, because this project completely never got any faster with new revisions. ;P

I think the overclocking poll suggests that people with nicely overclockable GP2Xs like to tell people about it ;-)

With the psx clock @ 40% (310Mhz,+RAMT) i get 17-21fps, that feels really smooth :)

edit:
@ste_167: I can overclock my gp2x to 325Mhz but it crashes then, ps4gp2x is able to handle 320Mhz without ram timings to run for some minutes and i really liked to tell you about that ;D

Dave C, so easily despaired....
The point of that video isn't the clock speed, its the simple fact that the emulator was able to run like that on a 2X.
If it can run that smooth at 310, and optimisations are still being made, doesn't it stand to reason that in time we can ALL expect similar or same performance regardless of our abilities (or lack of) to overclock!?!?

Come on now, BIG PICTURE!

I now have a stable build that pushed games like Buster Bros Collection from 41 FPS in-game to 47 FPS in-game. 6 FPS increase isn't too shabby. ;P

I'm testing it with other games first.

As for framelimiting, I should really talk to Unai about it. It is needed at least in certain points in games already, but since I dont know how to calculate the games normal framerate when running compared to the vsync which we know. What can be done if Unai can't determine the framerate of a game, I can add to the menu a framelimit option that defaults to 60 but can be changed to whatever is needed.

Next build will be a good one. :)

In my GP2X at 275 OC Wipeout 1 with interlaced 1 And Progressive ON is like 13 or so, and it is very playable.But i prefer to play with normal screen (it´s beautiful and no blurry) and i only loss 2 frames :)

The day i can get 20 frames in Wipeout it will be fully playable, and i think Zodttd, Unai and Company will get that sooner or later.

Thanks for the hard work :)

When?!? When?!?
(I'm leaving early in the morning for vacation/gp2x-betatesting :p

Awesome work, ZOD, you and your friends make a good team!

I also just fixed the loading of a new game from within a current game. This will be in today's (first?) build. :)

I always turn off sound, is like a nigthmare :D
It should be turned off by default.

Umm about the tekken think, as progrsive render each time one frame... if blitting and rendering are desincroniced it look bad, ussually for teken the key is to use interlace 1 and prograsive off, before launching the game.

for time limmiting... there si nothing to do with fps, what we have to do is to limit vsinc etiher to 50 or 60 depending on pal or nsc mode...

Back