Beta ptitSeb's Beta Lair

Just done a quick test. Excitebike runs about as well as before, slightly slow. Mario tennis still runs slowly with different artifacts using different plugins, Lode Runner also runs slow, but with minimal glitching. But my headline stat is that F-Zero no longer launches! Doesn't seem to matter what plugin I use, it just blinks at me and drops me back in picklelauncher.

Thanks for testing @levi . I guess I have to check with F-Zero :(

*EDIT*: yeah, segfault, in dd_read_regs, one of the new part. I must have missed some initialisation when I updated the code.
[doublepost=1465114995,1465111911][/doublepost]@levi : ok, it's fixed. I have uploaded a new build and F-Zero works now.

I have updated the mupen64 pnd.
I have fixed an old bug in the launcher where the arrow would sometimes not match the selected line.
but also...
I added a new RSP plugin: cxd4.
It sometimes doesn't works, and I cannot have any sound with it :(
But when it works it's fast (maybe because it gives no sound, even if it seems everything is proceced correctly)... I have updated my github of mupen64 with it, if anyone wants to help :)

Awesome work, ptitSeb. I look forward to testing the new version of mupen soon. I tried out the updated Xash3D and it seems to be working quite well.

I hope to have some time to mess around with some of your betas too.

Okay, I've redownloaded mupen from the front page. I don't see a cxd4 option in the rsp dropdown in the config menus. If I type it in (after the conventional prefix) and try to start my Pandora hangs for a minute or two. If I pull down the drop down to try to select something else, it also locks up.

Thanks for fixing the picklelauncher selected line mismatch though - that's been bugging me for a while, but I wasn't sure it was your domain to fix.

Edit: May not be a lockup. Some random presses on the keyboard ended up in the text area immediately, but I've never before seen a text input that can intercept alt-tabs or mouse clicks!

Last edited:
Okay, I've redownloaded mupen from the front page. I don't see a cxd4 option in the rsp dropdown in the config menus. If I type it in (after the conventional prefix) and try to start my Pandora hangs for a minute or two. If I pull down the drop down to try to select something else, it also locks up.

Thanks for fixing the picklelauncher selected line mismatch though - that's been bugging me for a while, but I wasn't sure it was your domain to fix.

Edit: May not be a lockup. Some random presses on the keyboard ended up in the text area immediately, but I've never before seen a text input that can intercept alt-tabs or mouse clicks!
Ah, yes, the Config Menu. Well, I haven't touched it (yet,, but I will). For now, use the Launcher to change the Plugins. You know that, using the Launcher, you can changes default plugins (with the big button, using touchscreen for example) or change plugin for the selected rom (using (Y) ).

Hi a Question.
That new Glshim Fastmath Function..will that maybe speedup Minecraft on the Pandora too? :)

Hi a Question.
That new Glshim Fastmath Function..will that maybe speedup Minecraft on the Pandora too? :)
Maybe. I'll will make a new build soon. I already have one, but I want to add some semi-automatic installation of OptiFine is present (like, the runscript detect an OptiFine jar is here, launch it, let the use install it, and then delete-it).

Maybe. I'll will make a new build soon. I already have one, but I want to add some semi-automatic installation of OptiFine is present (like, the runscript detect an OptiFine jar is here, launch it, let the use install it, and then delete-it).
A very simple Solution for installing Optifine is:
- Install MC on the Pandora and run it with your Fav Version
- exit
-rename your launcher.jar in .minecraft to launcher2.jar
-rename optifine.jar to launcher.jar and copy it in .minecraft

Now just run the MC PND and Optifine will install then.
After installing Optifine simply delete launcher.jar and rename launcher2.jar back into launcher.jar.

No PC needed for that :)

btw i work on a 3D Sonic with the EdukePND now..
..maybe i get it with a good Performance to work soon :)

Ah, yes, the Config Menu. Well, I haven't touched it (yet,, but I will). For now, use the Launcher to change the Plugins. You know that, using the Launcher, you can changes default plugins (with the big button, using touchscreen for example) or change plugin for the selected rom (using (Y) ).

Ah, thanks. I didn't realise I could access those buttons on my tv-out-only Pandora.

So, good news first: Excitebike runs at easily playable speeds - might even be faster than on my real N64 (which I don't have set up at the moment). But it also runs pretty well under the default RSP plugin too, even the live 1st,2nd etc. arrow doesn't glitch any more since last time I tested it.

But I couldn't get any of my other slow games to run under the RSP plugin - it just black screens on me and won't even quit with Escape - I need to hold Pandora key to stop it. I guess I might need to come out of the picklelauncher and actually kill the process too, since after testing a few games my Pandora became periodically unresponsive, and I ended up having to pull the battery on it, because I couldn't even shut the system down properly.

thanks for the feedback @levi

I'm still working on that rsp plugin. I'm comparing status register of the emulated rsp with the one from the z64 plugin, trying to find some differences.
I have spoted some strange result with the "srl" instruction, where the srl r1, r27, 23 with r26=0x7000000 gives r1=0xe with z64 (correct), and r1=0 with cxd4 (why???).

And btw, the slow responsivness is probably the SGX driver, from experience, I notice this things doesn't really like repetitive "killing".
[doublepost=1465252580,1465251786][/doublepost]I found the issue, the lead was a good one.

I now have sound.
Unfortunatly, as expected, it's now much slower. Slower the the hle-rsp, and basicaly non-playable on the Pandora :(

Here is a perf top of Super Mario 64, demo screen:
Code:
   PerfTop:    1006 irqs/sec  kernel: 1.6%  exact:  0.0% [1000Hz cycles],  (all, 1 CPU)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

39.76%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] run_task
    14.24%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] madn_v_msp
     9.34%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] mulf_v_msp
     5.98%  perf-31677.map                 [.] 0x40c09aec
     3.53%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] madh_v_msp
     3.09%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] madm_v_msp
     2.74%  libGLESv2.so.1.10.2359475      [.] 0xbb30
     2.04%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] add_v_msp
     1.39%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] LDV
     1.33%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] macf_v_msp
     1.31%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] SQV
     0.83%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] mudn_v_msp
     0.74%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] LQV
     0.53%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] LRV
     0.52%  mupen64plus-video-gles2n64.so  [.] gDPLoadBlock(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)
     0.51%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] MT_DMA_READ_LENGTH.lto_priv.6
     0.50%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] and_v_msp
     0.48%  libmupen64plus.so.2.0.0        [.] .D2
     0.48%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] ge_v_msp
     0.47%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] cl_v_msp
     0.46%  [kernel]                       [k] __do_softirq
     0.37%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] mudm_v_msp
     0.35%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] mudl_v_msp
     0.28%  libmupen64plus.so.2.0.0        [.] dynamic_linker
     0.28%  mupen64plus-rsp-cxd4.so        [.] mudh_v_msp
     0.28%  mupen64plus-video-gles2n64.so  [.] CRC_Calculate(unsigned int, void*, unsigned int)

I'll update the PND tomorrow, it's too late now.

FWIW, I had sound already in Excitebike. In terms of frame rate in game it was basically comparable to the default plugin, so hopefully you've not slowed it down too much. I'll gladly test it tomorrow when it's up either way.

I guess I should try running LiveSystemInfo while I'm testing things to get comparable frame rate stats. That will work, right?

Just uploaded the new build with the fixed rsp.
You had sound in Excite bike? I had no sound in all the rom I tried. It should no hang anymore also now.
About speed, well, now it works more, so it may be slower.
Also, I changed the config menu to add this plugin.

Thanks. Yes, all games i tried under this plugin now worked! Unfortunately, they were all slower than the HLE plugin, except for Excitebike where both are still playable!

It shows the grass court in Mario Tennis differently... but unfortunately neither are a good representation of what you see on a real N64 (but that's not the only problem that game has - missing shadows and smash stars are more problematic).

The Excitebike dump I have is a clone of my real PAL Excitebike cart done via my Retrode adaptor, by the way.

All tests done under the Rice plugin, fwiw.

I have updated the Postal PND in the first post. It should works better with GoG data, and the Gamma is adjusted too.
Also, I switched both nubs to joystick mode, but not sure it's usefull yet.

*EDIT* Also, the game now use 800x480 for the gameplay (the menus stays in 640x480 as designed).

Last edited:
Does someone with the GoG release of Postal tried the new release? (well, the one with the Steam version can also try the new release too, with the large screen support and gamma, it's worth it).

I just played your update of Postal with the steam version, it works great and the full screen and gamma changes improve the game a lot. Thanks!

Why is it not on the Repo though?

Back