[Rebirth Competition] Slackware for Pandora 13.37 release thread.

Did you pushed up when you created your account ?

Anyway, check /etc/group to see if your username is in plugdev, power audio, etc. groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember anything about pushing up when creating the account - remind me what that is again?

I just logged in as root and checked /etc/group. My regular user (gruso) is nowhere to be seen. Is that weird?

Yup, you missed something.

After having entered the root password, you're prompted to create an user account.

This is what you can read:

"#############################################################################"

"Now, you can create an user with adduser."

"At some explicit point, push [up] to put this user in adequate groups."

"#############################################################################"

So you enter the login name, push enter maybe once or twice to get a default user ID number and default group, and then:

Press ENTER to continue without adding any additional groups

Or press the UP arrow key to add/select/edit additional groups

When pushing up, it automatically selects "audio cdrom floppy plugdev video power netdev" groups to put you in.

So here's what you can do now:

Be root using su.

Edit /etc/group with any editor.

Add your username in all groups above.

Save ^^ (hey ! you said you're a rookie)

quit the Xfce session

logout

login

Et voilà ! :^)

---Edit: I will now display the "up" in red.

As promised in another thread, here's the distcc compilation.

I connect two OP with an USB cable, shut down the network manager, manually enter IP adress on usb0, and usb1 for the other unit.

Then i launch the distccd server, and compile a kernel this way:

Code:
export DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost 22.2.2.1"

22.2.2.1 is the "slave" unit.

Code:
make -j4 CC=distcc  uImage

make -j4 CC=distcc  modules

I went in the bus, with 2 OP in my pockets, listening music ^^. I use nice to lower the priority so i can use the OPs like there's nothing running on it.

Also one OP charge the other. The current drain is huge. There's probably a way to manually stop this.

DSC04633.JPG

DSC04638.JPG

DSC04639.JPG

DSC04640.JPG

I'm sure there is a software way to change the current draw of the Pandora, but as a hackish way maybe try just cutting the 5 volt line? Maybe that will work.

I'm sure there is a software way to change the current draw of the Pandora, but as a hackish way maybe try just cutting the 5 volt line? Maybe that will work.

I suggest removing the battery cover and shaking your Pandora a bit before use - works a treat*

*I take no responsibility for the state of your battery/anything else after this procedure

I suggest removing the battery cover and shaking your Pandora a bit before use - works a treat*

*I take no responsibility for the state of your battery/anything else after this procedure
Cutting the 5 volt line should work though, if you get rid of the 5 volt connection between the Pandora's it won't charge but the data lines will be intact.

Finally found some time to move everything off my main SD card and format it so I can give this a test.

Whats a good size of a pure OS partition if I don't plan on putting anything else on the partition but a few packages. is 6 GB good?

6G is ok.

13.37 is slimmed down so it may fit in 4G but i didn't test.

I could have removed /usr/docs, but i preferred a full OS.

-current is bigger, maybe 4.1G.

Nice work! :) I look forward to setting up a compiler-farm with my next set of Pandoras .. ;)

Hope you'll reach some peta-flops ^^.

I realized the external wifi support i announced was not covering the realtek family dongles, including the 8192. Firmware were missing.

I grabbed and tested them: it works now.

They will be included in the next releases and i may provide a small patch soon.

The later, there is no wait to turn off VBUS on host right now.
Ok, thanks for the tip.

Hi Linux Swat,

would it run webmin ?

about gnome ?
I just compiled webmin under -current. Didn't tested but it should work.

Gnome... well i don't know and i think it's useless. For OP, Xfce is a better desktop and i already shipped most gnome libraries.

Anyway, there's probably some ways to install it and consume all the ram ^^.

Back