Reordering Update

And as people have already suggested, send them out in the order they were ordered, but only to those who have paid.

This will encourage people to pay by bank transfer (either because they want theirs asap, or because once people have the devices they will be more willing to take a chance with the lack of CC protection because they can see something concrete).

Fwiw I've not paid by bank transfer and would be quite happy to be jumped in the line until I have paid (somehow).

oblivioner said:
Also Wibrain I1 has surfaced again with Feb 09 release date when I thought it was dead, so I think I'm going to get one instead, and probably go for 2nd batch Pandora by mid year if it's already out and doing well.
Each to their own though in my opinion your decision is pretty foolish. This probably isnt the place for it but Pandora looks in much better shape than that and its cheaper and I think you will get a lot more value for your money. It just doesnt seem the logical alternative to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
RenegadeChic said:
oblivioner said:
Also Wibrain I1 has surfaced again with Feb 09 release date when I thought it was dead, so I think I'm going to get one instead, and probably go for 2nd batch Pandora by mid year if it's already out and doing well.
Each to their own though in my opinion your decision is pretty foolish. This probably isnt the place for it but Pandora looks in much better shape than that and its cheaper and I think you will get a lot more value for your money. It just doesnt seem the logical alternative to me...

Well, it's a product that at least exists in a finished form ( http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/12/xp-on-in...-sample-arrived ) that you will be able to purchase through retail with a credit card.

Sorry to add to the off topic, but the (older)wibrain is more a room heater than anything else, I don't know yet, if the new model solves that problem. I'm fairly up to date in UMPC tech, since I'm very interested in that technology in general. Pandora's tech is the best available in handheld space, no doubt.

mali said:
Sorry to add to the off topic, but the (older)wibrain is more a room heater than anything else, I don't know yet, if the new model solves that problem. I'm fairly up to date in UMPC tech, since I'm very interested in that technology in general. Pandora's tech is the best available in handheld space, no doubt.
It seems I1 solves that, Chippy mentions that "Noise and heat is better that b1 so far (B1 would have been hot and noisy after 10 mins. This is quiet and cool"

I agree that Pandora on paper is a much better device, but I'm just tired of all the problems around it.

well they are quite different devices. it will be interesting to see them side by side in the near future when both are released. being torn between the two i would probably hold out to see what happens a few months after theyre out. though of course if you have money to burn you could just buy both :)

kattle87 said:
Brockway said:
So, with the Xoom thing. I can't seem to get the recipient information right. It asks for first and last names, address, town, county, postal code, and the address information in the email doesn't match up. I'm not entirely sure what goes where, and it won't let me go to the next step without a first and last name. Help please?
I've made some rough calculus with Xoom fee calculator ( https://www.xoom.com/sendmoneynow/money-transfer-fees ). If you are using standard payment method (you pay Xoom via CC, Paypal, or Debit card) you are paying 335 $ for sending 200 £. If the team decides to "lower the price" since they do not pay incoming CC fees, say they want 191 £, you spend 320 $ (everything included).
Convert it and you get 219 €. Add some $ or € for CC fee (if your bank has one), and we get a really good solution to this mess, both for American and European people.

:) Hope this helps

From what I read, we just resend what we got refunded, right? Mine was 307.26. With the $5 fee, it seems to say Craig and them will get 192.69 £. Or do we have to take currency fluctuations into account again?

Has anyone used Xoom yet? What did you put for the first and last names? County? I'd pay mine off right now if I could get passed this dang step.

joa said:
It is really hard to transfer funds abroad? With hsbc online banking it takes about 5 clicks to send money anywhere in world. yes there is a £10 fee or so...
It's not hard my case but it is expensive like 30 £.

Regards

André

Let me know if it works. If people get through fine, I'm game. :)

Edit: And Craig, if it works, that would be the perfect option to present to US customers considering a bank transfer.

It seems to have gone through. It says its in the processing phase though, probably take a few days I guess. I used a credit card. I'm kind of curious, since Xoom is the intermediary, it should work without causing them problems, right?

Has anyone suggested just giving us our Pandoras and we'll settle up with you, you know, next time we see you or something?

BeefJerky said:
Has anyone suggested just giving us our Pandoras and we'll settle up with you, you know, next time we see you or something?
only with mob style interest ;)

It's funny some still think Craig is scamming them when refunds were made and the Pandora team hasn't disappeared to Somalian waters.

Damn you all who can do an inexpensive bank transfer. :lol:

craigix said:
Having been selling online since 1996(!) I've never seen a situation like this before, and it does seem that the whole credit industry is falling apart - but we will get though it.
My great grandfather used to say that credit would destroy our nation. I think he may have meant the entire world though, as that seems to be what is happening.

The company I work for was started during the great depression. The founder took everything he had, and put it all on the line. Sound familiar? :) People said he couldn't make it through such a hard crisis, that it was a bad idea to even think of starting a company at the time. And yet here I am, an employee about 75 years later. :lol:

Hang in there, Craig.

You could always offer shares as an incentive to people willing to pay by bank transfer.

ie One purchase would give a single share in the company. Obviously you may need to re-organize the share structure of your current company if it's currently a 'standard' private limited company with 1000 shares.

Multiply that amount to 10,000, then if 1000 people pay by bank transfer you've still only surrendered 10% ownership of the company.

Given the belief I have in the potential of the Pandora, even a 0.01% steak in the company would sway me in favour of bank transfers. :p

rmm21 said:
Brockway said:
javaJake said:
Anyone tried that Xoom service here? It looks real and useable, and relatively without fees to boot (just don't try to contact their customer support).

I'm doing it right now. Jacquelyn helped me with filling in the info. Looks like a $15 fee if you pay by credit card/paypal, $5 bank.

$5 bank transfer by Xoom from US to UK sounds fantastic! Viable method perhaps.

Just FYI to those planning on using Xoom. Their "exchange rate" is adjusted so that they will be making ~$10 on the transaction. Just thought I should mention that caveat since I'm the one that brought it up in the first place...

Chip said:
Craig had a Paypal account that rarely saw more than a few hundred dollars per month in transactions. Then, all in one week, there were tens of thousands of dollars in international payments. An algorithm in Paypal's computer system flagged that as "probable fraud" and locked the account. If we take Paypal again, the same problem will occur. There is no way around it.
If Craig had called PayPal (it is possible) and said - "heads up folks - I'm about to take tens of thousands of dollars of international payments it's all legit" (and jumped through a few hoops to show them that he is legit) then the crisis may have been able to be avoided. PayPal is a business - they'd love to take his money and the more large customers they can keep happy the better.

Personally, I'm glad PayPal's algorithms kicked in and said "whoa - let's stop this we don't know what's going on" - but they kicked on because they had no prior knowledge that this was legit and they erred on the side of caution...

Back