Should I have received my final order eMail already?

I would be happy to get a Pyra as a kit and assemble it myself. It would be a chance to mod a bit, maybe add thermal pads here or there.

I would be happy to get a Pyra as a kit and assemble it myself. It would be a chance to mod a bit, maybe add thermal pads here or there.

I'm not sure I'd want to sell those kit if I was the Pyra seller. From what I've heard the case need modifications, like sanding at places or cutting something or whatever.
So it's not just a kit that people can mount. If people mount them without altering the case, some issues may arise, and complicate post-purchase service.
If they would sell the kits with the modifications already made, them the time to prepare the kits would be close to the time to prepare a fully built Pyra, so little point.
I don't know. Maybe it depends on the user skills, but it would also require more extensive mechanical documentation...

Still wondering when I will get my pre ordered pyra. The order number XXXXXXX for my preorder does not seem to work on your links for delivery. This is 2024 and Iwoild like to know if you have any plans to deliver
As I understood it, once everything was finalized then RS would start to assemble the pyra. This did not happen, but rather each pyra is hand assembled during a lunch break. Meaning 1 pyra a week might roll off the .. production line... can we call it that? Expect a long long long wait. It is highly unlikely for anything to change at all with regards to increasing production.

It was first the masterplan to let GC assemble the Pyra but then it was found out the Case needs that much manuall afterwork that it would be much too expensive to let this do the employes of Global Components, , remember: The whole Pyra had become allready much more expensive to make than its selling price ..

I'm not sure I'd want to sell those kit if I was the Pyra seller. From what I've heard the case need modifications, like sanding at places or cutting something or whatever.
So it's not just a kit that people can mount. If people mount them without altering the case, some issues may arise, and complicate post-purchase service.
If they would sell the kits with the modifications already made, them the time to prepare the kits would be close to the time to prepare a fully built Pyra, so little point.
I don't know. Maybe it depends on the user skills, but it would also require more extensive mechanical documentation...
I have a 3d printer, give me the STLs and components and let me build it, I say.

I'm not sure I understand the situation correctly. But I think nobody has the STLs to give away, even if that person wanted to give them away. AFAIK there're physical molds made, which come from some digital design, but then were physically tweaked afterwards, and then there are physical tweaks to the case produced with those molds. So if there is a stl, that's not the exact version needed. So before giving aways stls someone would need to create or modify them, test that they produce somethign useful, and then license and publish them.

Then there are possible differences in flexibility, strength or thermal properties between the current cases and whatever one can build with a 3D printer, but I don't know well enough about that difference if any.

At least that's the picture in my mind. Maybe I just don't get it.

As someone who has dissassembled and reassembled their pyra, as well as modified the prototype case to be suitable for assembly its my opinion that nothing in the process is beyond the means of anyone with basic skills in electronics. So long as the kit is advertised in a way that manages the expectations of the person buying it there really shouldn't be any problem that I can see.

But I can also respect that may not be something ED wants to do.

Personally I think its a great idea and would get more pyras out there. But they probably should stay the course.

everywhere i look i am reminded that i don't have a pyra

1713696963287.png

Reactions: rSl
Here is some update:

- We are out of black housings. I cleaned some so they can be painted and that will happen next month probably
- I have nothing to do at the moment and am waiting for my professors so to clarify if I start as a PhD student or not. Until then I will have a new contract with ED to come back and help building Pyras.
- Right now I am mass preparing copper cases so that the production will be faster. I do not continue this "20 units per batch" course but want to prepare 100-200 housings and parts per batch
- So initially there might be a bit of a delay with new units coming out. However once all the housings are prepared, the production should be quite smooth as long as PCBs are available

During the end of February and March, we made about 50 Pyras if I remember correctly. Since most people want black units, there is now a delay until we get new housings.

The takeaway is, that finally I am working on Pyras again for a couple of hours per week and production will start rolling again. Slowly but steadily.

The Pyra will not be as much of a priority for me any more like the Pandora was (at least not while it is in its current messy state).
However I do not want to let the project die and since I need a side job to pay my insurance and basic needs, I can as well help building Pyras :)

I most of the time will not work at the Dragonox shop any more since I now live 2 hours away from ED's place.
I will visit him every 1-3 weeks for a day and take parts with me to prepare at home.
That is why shipping 10-20 units pr week is not the target.
Last week for example I took all the copper cases with me to cut them and prepare as many lids as possible.
Same will be done with black housings once available.

Unfortunately there are many micro steps involved for each Pyra to be done that are necessary because of flaws during the design process.
Those steps are super easy to do and do not take long individually but add up a lot when combined.
I first want to get those out of the way for the next 100-200 units so that we can build the units super quickly once orders come in.
In the current situation this is the most efficient and practical way of producing Pyras.

Once the black housings are painted, we need to find a balance so that we can ship new units as quickly as possible but in a way so that the production overall is running ass efficient as possible.

I hope that's good enough of an update right now.

Back