Should I have received my final order eMail already?

I think I saw in the “more rooms” thread that they couldn’t start assembling more until the new space was set up, which I think happened this week. I am cautiously hoping that some people will start getting shipment news before the end of the month.

Last edited:
Man, I try to take months off and check on things every now and then and forget we're waiting for these, but every time I come back the progress is abysmal.

-150 Units shipped in ~9 months.
-Even with new space, if we doubled production pace, we're looking at 300 per 9 months, lets round that up to a clean 35 units shipped per month.
-I think the last time I checked the preorder queue was somewhere in the ~1200 range, may be higher now.
-Meaning to clear the remainder of the preorder queue it will likely take 2.5 Years at 2x current production pace.
-Lets assume we 4x production pace and ship 70 units per month, it will take another 14 months just to get preorders out.

I know it was discussed prior somewhere that there would likely be a break taken after the first batch (I think it was)of 500 units or so, which is not taken into account here.

Optimistically we're looking at late October/Early November 2022, Yikes.
That's a pretty flawed calculation though because production stopped after the pre-preorders, so you're including the upfront start up costs for the rest of production in the time it took to produce the units that have been already made (if total production time is units*time/unit + start up costs, then dividing by time doesn't give a very good approximation of the future rate because of the constant term). And that doesn't even include the additional people, reduction in manual steps, or shuffling boxes around as ED was building the first run.

I just noticed (after 9 months) that this thread was pinned, and there are actually other updates to read...
Ah now you point it out I just realised that it's sorting all the news threads in order by which one had recent comments on it.
Last time I was here, this exact news thread was still on the top lmao

I dont think whe can compare this: the Librem 5 is basically a PCB, a Batterie, a not that complicated case and a Screen.. this should be much faster to mass produce than the Pyra.. , also such a Smartphone Design is known so the Companys are trained to build them fast, where the Pyra is something you dont have that often.., i mean ok GPD also made these small Clamshell Computers, but usually they are much bigger..

Librem 5 is much more libre than Pyra is, though. Achieving this came with a whole load of issues as well. Librem 5 is definitely not some standardised run-of-the-mill smartphone.

Haha I know they’re not directly comparable* but it seemed like a little bit of an ongoing joke as to which would ship through preorders first, the Pyra or the Librem 5 :p
*EDIT: @matzesu IIRC there’s more than one PCB in the Librem 5

Last edited:
Well my Pyra was shipped first ^^, Ok the Librem 5 is more complex than a normal Mass Produktion Phone, but from the pictures from outside its case looked for me not that complex as an Clamshell..

True but we have only just got through the Pyra pre-preorders, not yet all the preorders. Presumably, Purism will get through their Librem 5 preorders by late January? Hoping to have my Pyra by then! ;)

I'm still looking forward to seeing photos/videos of production from the new office space, assuming they are still forthcoming. I need regular reminders that Pyras do actually exist and there is some forward momentum, however slight.

Talking of similar scoped projects, the EOMA68 has now been radio silent since late 2020, so I suspect that it unfortunately may now never move to full production (it's been on a similar timescale to the Pyra).

There is this cool YouTube channel I found recently, I heard the guy behind it shall be mega cool because he have an Unimog ^^
I would only whish his English would be better..

26889642229-35778ebee5-c.jpg

Back