1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Slackware for Pandora 14.1

Discussion in 'Alternative OS' started by Linux-SWAT, Feb 3, 2014.

1. joachim

joachim Member

You are right. But most time I am offline. Or is there a database file I can use offline ?

2. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Advanced Member

3. joachim

joachim Member

Thanks for the tip.

I found a way to run the Arduino IDE 1.0.4 (pnd is not running directly). Not from sbopkg - this makes errors at install (no ARM version).
    But it is not perfect.

How to run Arduino IDE in Slackware
    Java is needed, so install it.
    Use a hub or the OTG port as its USB 1.1
    Start Arduino in Slackware. Copy /mnt/utmp/hdonk_arduino dir to your Slackware SD
    eg. ~/arduino. Copy ~/arduino/avr dir to ~/avr. In ~/arduino/arduino.sh outcomment
    all (gksudo gives error) but the last 2 lines. The first time start in ~/arduino
    with ./arduino.sh. This makes needed PATH. The next time start with
    sh ~/arduino/arduino/arduino.

What I found so far :

- Software seems to work so far when started as root so you have to copy the avr dir into /root/avr dir too
    - working with Arduino nano
    - no connection with Leonardo, is showing /dev/ttyACM0 and HiD in dmesg but not in Arduino
    - as I have no Uno I could not try ; maybe someone can test it.

Why not as user ? No serial port showing.
    I tried to add user to group dialout but that doesn't help - it frezzes the Pandora after starting Arduino, only mouse cursor moving.
    What is dialout for , because it is set in pnd and even in SZ /etc/group ? root is not in dialout in Slackware and it works.
    I get the error messages " no permission to create lockfile" when java is trying /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyO0-/dev/ttyO3 at start.
    As root all is ok.
    Maybe someone can help here.

4. Linux-SWAT

Check permissions on the /dev/* you need and add yourself to the groups, then log again.

5. joachim

joachim Member

I checked permissions of /dev/ttyO1 which is owned by root an rw by group dialout (thats why dialout group!) but as written, when I set user to dialout the system seems to hang when using Arduino menu. I set /dev/ttyO1 rw for all and now it shows up in serial ports in the IDE but it says "error lock file" again. I checked in the net and found there is a /var/lock dir. After setting it to rw for user all
    works well (maybe this should do the dialout group too). I hope not doing something wrong.
    So far I am happy with it. Thanks for kind and fast help.
    Have I said I love Slackware?

Edit : After a test there seems a problem with the libs. They are not found as user. When trying to compile I
    get a stdlib.h not found error. As root all is working. Further checking.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  6. Linux-SWAT

7. joachim

joachim Member

Some good news. I found the missing path. So you have to add ~/avr/avr/include to the
    PATH too and all is working. Another one is the freeze problem. Maybe this is because of the Open Java I am using as other Java programs like MediathekView and TVBrowser are two programs sometimes I have to start two or three times until they work. When freezing in Arduino at start you need not do a hard reset because the shutdown menu is still working. You can end the session and login again. This is faster than a reboot. So I hope all is ok. Maybe I try the version from sbopkg again - thought I tried the source version which needs lots of SD space as mentioned.

Edit : tried again the source version called Arduino with the same result.
    Error Target "${platform}-build" does not exist in the project "Arduino". In the xml file only Mac,Win
    and Linux 32/64 are shown. So maybe I try an older version from the web site.

Edit 2 : After checking the web some have a solution for Arduino on ARM but its a bit tricky.
    I got avidemux from sbopkg working after changing two files. Anyone interested ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  8. Holliefant

Holliefant Member

Hmm I can´t get all the updates to work... some of them just won´t compile. Fontforge for example. Is that normal? Or am I doing something wrong?
    I usually do sbopkg and then sync. After that I install the queue..

9. Linux-SWAT

I don't know. Maybe a fontforge update broke the ARM compilation.

10. joachim

joachim Member

I have two things. When trying Bluetooth with toggle it always says "enabling.. " also the
    LED is not going off and after a reboot the LED is on from the start. Whats that?

2. I have a controller board with a CP2102 USB/serial interface that does not connect
    (no "connect as /dev/ttyUSB0 "). Is the module missing / how can I fix it?

Edit : I found that I need a file cp210x.ko but it seems all I can get is for Intel. Or is there help?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. Linux-SWAT

I have to fix LEDs after suspend with the next major release, but it's not a priority.

Do you use a hub ? Usually those adapters are USB 1.

12. joachim

joachim Member

1. the LED goes on after reboot

2. using hub but without cp210x.ko nothing works

13. Linux-SWAT

You may ask notaz to include the module if it's missing.

14. tony.pigram

tony.pigram Still Fresh

Just a curiosity question: I installed Slackware 14.1, no problems at all. I downloaded from the repository the node.tar.gz, expanded to a folder, copied the node-v0.12.7.tar.gz into the folder and then executed ./node.SlackBuild. That was nearly 12 hours ago...... does anyone know how long it will take to create the node*_SBo.tgz file?

I did run Gslapt and updated to the 14.1 repository, but when I do a search for "node" I do not get any results. The question I have here is: "if" node did appear in the list, would it just download the end result node*_SBo.tgz file and install it straight away? Is there an FTP site with all the end result *.tgz files already?

15. Linux-SWAT

Better use sbopkg :
    http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware#Installing_a_program_from_source

Dependency check :
    https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/development/nodejs/

Dunno for the compilation time.
    Let the thing finish, but maybe try another build later with optimizations mentioned in the SL4P wiki.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 13, 2016 ---
    About the pre-compiled archives, I don't ship nodejs, but I may.
    Here's the repo :
    http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/index.php?dir=sl4p/sl4p-14.1/packages
    Check the wiki for explanations.

16. tony.pigram

tony.pigram Still Fresh

Ah! I missed the multi-paging of the files in the sub-folders. Excellent news.

Yeah, I followed the instructions about sbopkg....I'll just leave it compiling, so long as it finishes before I have to get on a plane on Sunday :)

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: It finished @ 23:50...started at 08:30 this morning.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  17. Linux-SWAT

And does it work ?

18. joachim

joachim Member

What I found with Gparted : when starting as user the format menu only shows hfs and
    nothing else so I used SZ all the time. After a try from CLI as root all works. So I have to
    work as root for Gparted.

19. tony.pigram

tony.pigram Still Fresh

It seems to have worked. I ran a test node project1.app and it worked. Will give it a good testing later this evening.

20. joachim

joachim Member

What I found about Gparted : as normal user I cannot format a partition (only hfs selectable) so I used SZ. After trying as root all is ok.