Some more of my ideas

It can't get worse than what we have now.

Screws are horrible and self destructing if used several times.
you are supposed to turn the screw backwards till it drops into the old thread before tightening. otherwise you cut a new thread and can strip the thread entirely.

been doing it for 30 years in my service career.... metal inserts are ok but they do break if not gusseted correctly and i have had many that just spin inside the plastic holding the insert.......

i have had many that just spin inside the plastic holding the insert.......
That's due to failures of the manufacturers and not of the design.

In my workshop, we put (sometimes hanging when used) threaded metal inserts into wood which are used for screwing in not so little solid steel balls and they do not fall out.

We do this for years, you just need to use the right components (good epoxy does well) and cut an indentation into the outside of the insert before putting it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think my Pandora is particularly badly made - it's a lateish silver unit and hasn't cracked anywhere yet, but the biggest problem I had getting it apart was that some of the wells that the screwheads sit in are apparently big enough to put the screws in in the first place, but too small to get the screws out again, at least on the bottom two screws on my unit. It stuck so well that it was a question of don't press down hard enough and strip the head, or press too hard and strip the thread, or at least I feared that.

So I drilled out the screw with a small bit, used a bigger bit freehand just to scrape the edges of the hole a little wider (avoid scraping the bottom of the well as much as you can), then replaced those screws with brand new 2.5mm x 8mm screws.

I'm sure I wrote this up somewhere on here already, but my search-fu is failing me.

Re: Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic

Very yes. I have owned several CFRP laptops (older ThinkPad laptops for example) and they still look as good as they did when new. FRP is also used in injection molded parts for RC cars; that should give you a good idea of the type of beating it can take.

i have had many that just spin inside the plastic holding the insert.......
That's due to failures of the manufacturers and not of the design.

In my workshop, we put (sometimes hanging when used) threaded metal inserts into wood which are used for screwing in not so little solid steel balls and they do not fall out.

We do this for years, you just need to use the right components (good epoxy does well) and cut an indentation into the outside of the insert before putting it in.
im talking of Toshiba, cannon, Konica products. the outside of the insert is heavily knurled to give grip in the moulded plastic but they can still be abused and broken out. non cylindrical inserts would probably cost more to manufacture.

Whit all these expensive Parts, the four shuolderbuttons, the 5 ^ Screen, the Case from a European Company, i think the Pandora 2 i think i have to spare some money until the preorder..

(not realy, as i safed some Mony because i ditnt bought PS3, PS4, XBOX 360 or XBOX ONE as im Handheld Gamer..) ,

Is there a idea alleready how much the succesor will cost ?

Ed said multiple times, that he does not take preorders but sells them when they are ready.

Why does everyone want to preorder stuff?

The current Pandora price (or the Price in 2008) was much to low, so a Pandora 2 will have to be a bit more expensiver ..

I dont want to preorder, as this was the longest waitingtime (and the interessting) i ever had for a little PC.. ,

It was a great time because the interessting Boards Talk, and the "Vorfreude"..

I wants to Order :)

Ed said multiple times, that he does not take preorders but sells them when they are ready.

Nope. He said it will be a pre order or part pre order.
It makes sense as he would have to invest alot of money otherwise.

He said he want a working prototype and the production and supplier of the parts completly set up (and probably he will have done a testrun for a few production samples to see if the production is working).

The costs for 1000 Open Pyras are quite expensive (probably 300.000 euros) so they I think he will have to collect the money to produce in advance them, and won't sell them from stock. Bit I think this is not realy preordering since, it takes just a short time to produce them (sending of the parts and putting them together in europe should work quite fast, if the parts from other countrys are bought in advance).

I want to say I want an OpenPyra :) .

Not cheaper than the current Pandora price, that's almost given.  
I hope not. I actualy had a much cheaper price in mind during the entire successor discussion. 300€/350$ maybe, otherwise we will end up again with a expencive niche device that barely finds new customers. I will not buy the "P2" it it is not cheaper than the current Pandora price Tag (~500€ in ED's shop). I was lucky that I preordered my CC Pandora for 250€, I know it can't get that cheap anymore but 300€ are a good value in between quality I think and an still attractive price to gain more attention outside of a small community.

If all the issues that made the P1 so expencive can be eliminated, I'm sure the new Device can be built much cheaper and still better than the old one. "Measure twice, cut once", saves alot of stress and money. :)

Who knows...? :)
A little hint maybe? Or at least name some SoC's that will be definitely NOT choosen. ;)

Not cheaper than the current Pandora price, that's almost given.  
I hope not. I actualy had a much cheaper price in mind during the entire successor discussion. 300€/350$ maybe, otherwise we will end up again with a expencive niche device that barely finds new customers. I will not buy the "P2" it it is not cheaper than the current Pandora price Tag (~500€ in ED's shop). I was lucky that I preordered my CC Pandora for 250€, I know it can't get that cheap anymore but 300€ are a good value in between quality I think and an still attractive price to gain more attention outside of a small community.

If all the issues that made the P1 so expencive can be eliminated, I'm sure the new Device can be built much cheaper and still better than the old one. "Measure twice, cut once", saves alot of stress and money. :)

Who knows...? :)
A little hint maybe? Or at least name some SoC's that will be definitely NOT choosen. ;)
Pandora 1 is a niche device.  Pandora successor will be as well.  I would say 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% niche :)   If it's not niche it's gonna be the same crap out there now :)

The nicher the better!   The less people have it the more I feel special :)

Back