Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Alex. said:
Yes I remember the bridges, never say never :)
Cool. :) If bridges over road tiles are possible, I'm sure, tunnels under a non road tile are possible to. :lol:

RHLinuxGUY said:
Alex. said:
You can never have too many towers, I'll put this on the list as well. :) By the way, the Quad Fortress works in a similar way to what you described, where it shoots a lot of bullets, fast. However, it targets specific enemies as opposed to shooting randomly.
Yes I understand, so then the Garden Sprinkler tower should be thrice the power of the super tower, take less space, and cost a hell of a lot.

The strategy behind it could be to put it at close quarters that is next to a road that forces the mobs to go a long way before it is out of the area of effect of said tower. So the spread isn't so large and hits more then when further away.

"garden sprinkler"? :huh: I'm not sure if my imagination is big enough to know, how this is meant and how this will fit into the game. ^^"" But it sounds funny. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
EEEYYY

awesome!

In the next version, will there be theme switching? I'm not sure whether I like this one or the old one better.

Forgot to give you some feedback Alex!

I really like the latest version! Solid gameplay. It really has a commercial feel to it. Very very polished. I like the recent additions of a level-editor and the new booster towers. Also I think it's great that we can choose between classic gameplay and V1.2 gameplay.

Can't get used to that green theme though. I liked the old one better. Please put skinning support on your to-do list for future versions. Switching themes is okay, but I would love to be able to produce my own skins!

xnopasaranx said:
Can't get used to that green theme though. I liked the old one better. Please put skinning support on your to-do list for future versions. Switching themes is okay, but I would love to be able to produce my own skins!
I agree, I also prefer the old theme. :)

Hi,

What about adding a kind of experience system to Sqdef ? The more you use a tower, the more powerful it becomes. When one of your tower is responsible for the death of an enemy it gains some XP points and does some more damage. Bigger enemies = more XP points, boss = even more XP points. It would value towers you have used from the beginning of the game, and this way, one would think twice before selling them...

Sorry for my bad english I'm drunk :)

Bye, Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
What about adding a kind of experience system to Sqdef ? The more you use a tower, the more powerful it becomes. When one of your tower is responsible for the death of an enemy it gains some XP points and does some more damage. Bigger enemies = more XP points, boss = even more XP points. It would value towers you have used from the beginning of the game, and this way, one would think twice before selling them...
I like this idea a lot, I'll implement it in 1.3 :)

Magic Sam said:
Sorry for my bad english I'm drunk :)
Cheers :D (though your English needs no apologies)

I like the idea of Magic Sam as well, but although it adds another variable that makes it more complicated it doesn't enhances gameplay a lot. Would love to see more wave specific attack towers and the possibility to adjust wave type and wave order.

Hey Alex - Is there any way of knowing whether or not you've completed the 60 level maps? I've done the first few, but there's no extra medal. I realise that it's a bonus level, but it would be cool if you could see what score you got, or even just an indication that you'd done it - maybe a box around all three medals - a platinum medal would be nice!

I really enjoyed it the first time those two bosses turned up on the same level - good job I had stacks of lives at the time! I was expecting three bosses next, but the transparent ones were just as cool...

Another idea for a tower: One where when selected, you get a slightly different cursor which can then be used to target one of the enemies and it stays locked on to it. You could be forced to retarget it if the enemy gets to the end maybe...

Hi Grunt :) Sqdef (1.2A) remembers that you've beaten 60 waves, and in 1.3 there'll be a special medal displayed for that accomplishment. I never completed 60 waves myself, I'm glad to hear that it runs all the way to the end.

As for the new tower, that would be a nice feature for all towers methinks. However it would require touchscreen for accuracy, and right now I'm not sure if I'll get to adding touch support to Sqdef.

Btw 1.3 is coming sometime this week if all goes well :)

In one of my favorite starcraft tower defense maps there was last wave of monsters, which were able to damage and destroy towers. Is that feature planned in future of sqdef?

Yes, that's something to think about for a future version. :)

I remember walling always triggered attacks in SC td maps, poor newbies :D

whats coming in 1.3? looking forward to it. Also i see on your site you have planned downfall 1.5 whats planned for that? any chance at maybe a small update to your first game Airplyr? looks like your giving us a lot to look forward to for the gp2x.

Alex. said:
Hi Grunt :) Sqdef (1.2A) remembers that you've beaten 60 waves, and in 1.3 there'll be a special medal displayed for that accomplishment. I never completed 60 waves myself, I'm glad to hear that it runs all the way to the end.
How is it shown? I couldn't see anything, but then I'm not the most observant!

As for the new tower, that would be a nice feature for all towers methinks. However it would require touchscreen for accuracy, and right now I'm not sure if I'll get to adding touch support to Sqdef.

I hadn't thought about touchscreen - funnily enough though, I was thinking of the panic induced by trying to target a moving enemy with the joystick! I'd imagined you would just put the cursor ahead of the enemy (or enemies) and fire when it goes underneath...

Nice one! I feel another donation coming on...

New tower idea.
"Big Bertha"
Costs a LOT to build, very slow firing rate.
But a direct hit kills instantly, or at least damages them a lot. High splash damage for surrounding attackers.

deps said:
New tower idea.
"Big Bertha"
Costs a LOT to build, very slow firing rate.
But a direct hit kills instantly, or at least damages them a lot. High splash damage for surrounding attackers.
I had a similar idea once: a new panic option, like a laser beam shot from a satellite, it would cost a lot, but would be a one shot kill, useful for the last boss when you only have one remaining life. You could select your target with the d-pad / joystick, or with the stylus :)

deps said:
New tower idea.
"Big Bertha"
It is sounds more like idea of making homebrew clone of "total anihilation"

Alex. said:

Wow, Wave 60 sounds cool. I've stuck somewhere in wave 56 or 57 but I think i had built some things wrong. To beat wave 60 you have to plan some things early in the game. And I think wave 60 is not possible at every map. ^^""

1.3 sounds cool, can't wait. :)

Oh, I had made a test map to test if a long wave can "bite" it's own "tail" (so a bridge would make sense) but waves doesn't seem to make loopings. They always use the "short" way. Hm...
sqdef00019zq7.gif

You're going to need plenty of cash for the last couple of waves - you'll lose at least 20 lives on wave 59 - and lives are pretty expensive by then.

My technique is using at least 24 depots to rack up serious cash. You need to buy them as soon as you've got $2000 spare - they cost nearly $10000 each by the time you get to wave 60...

Gruntfuggly said:
You're going to need plenty of cash for the last couple of waves - you'll lose at least 20 lives on wave 59 - and lives are pretty expensive by then.

My technique is using at least 24 depots to rack up serious cash. You need to buy them as soon as you've got $2000 spare - they cost nearly $10000 each by the time you get to wave 60...
I like to play without buying much lives, I hope there is a way to do this above wave 55 :lol:
It's better to wait with buying Depots as long as possible. At least you should have 3000 ore more gold and then buying as much depots as you can IN ONE ROUND because so you can have many Depots at the same small price. ;) So you start with a big % Bonus instead of slightly increasing the Bonus. Some Money should be left over because 100% Bonus of 0 is 0. :lol:

Back