Squidgesnes 0.39

Id try saving by using the standard ingame save, and go from there.
I had to do this with shinigforce on DrMD to get my sound back.

gaterooze posted on Oct 24 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
Can't you load the state with sound disabled, then re-enable sound and save a new state?

No, because as soon as you enable sound, the game will freeze up and you can't save it, or if you can save it then it will still have no sound once you load it up and it will only unfreeze if you turn sound off again ... lol

Gotta try the ingame save option now, ... does SquidgeSNES support SRAM saving then?
EDIT: I just tried that, but when resetting the game the SRAM save is gone and I have to start from 0%.

EDIT 2: I got another one for you, hehe ... ever played Axelay and finished the 1st level? For some reason the game simply remains on a black screen and doesn't load the 2nd level, with or without sound enabled. Interesting.

"SunSpire"

Last edited by a moderator:
SunSpire posted on Oct 24 2006 at 11:41 PM said:
Then later, when I turned sound emulation on again I could not load the savegames that I made during audio being turned off ...

Quite odd but maybe it can be fixed? :) I have to finish the game without sound now or start over from the beginning, argh
When you disable sound chips they are faked and their state is no longer known. So when you enable them back it is not clear where spc700 should be executing and what should be in it's RAM. So no, it can't be fixed (at least I don't know how). That is what the "mute audio" option is for.

gaterooze posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:52 PM said:
yalborap posted on Oct 23 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
Ninja Warriors is sadly still at 15-30 FPS, even when I overclock.

I found with Ninja Warriors that the autoframeskip didn't work as well on .39 as .38, but when I set it to FS1 it worked better than ever.

And yes, this game seems to be more CPU-intesive than almost any other without a special chip.

FS1, you say? At what clockspeed?

yalborap posted on Oct 24 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
FS1, you say? At what clockspeed?

275mhz. Apologies, I sometimes forget not everyone can clock that high.

stormyandcold posted on Oct 23 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Donkey Kong Country works great on some levels and jerkily on others.

The very first level for example runs around 20fps but the 2nd level (dark setting) runs well, bonus levels (from the 2 that I've tried so far) run very smoothly if not perfect and gives us an idea of how the game would feel if it was running 100% all the time. In-game character sections also suffer from this slowdown even though theres hardly anything going on.

Any idea whats causing the slowdown?

Great work Notaz, thanks!

Raster interrupts. Those really tank the speed of the emu. It must be the way SNES9X handles them (NKs emu isn't effected as much?).

Some of the backgrounds of DKC use them (sky)

In Contra Alien war when you get the shield it uses rasters and that little colored circle around the guy brings down the speed alot.

In James pond Robocod as soon as you enter the level (rainbow backgrounds) the framerate drops to about 3 per second, again rasters.

Q*bert III same thing. If the raster interrupt handling could somehow be improved, alot of those games wouldn't slow down as much.

Well, it's an excellent effort and has finally made snes emulation on gp2x enjoyable for me :D

Having near complete rom sets for both snes and megadrive though, choosing what to play is a bit over-whelming but its nice to always have something "new" to try :D

Its a very good time to be a GP2X owner! :p

DaveC posted on Oct 25 2006 at 04:42 AM said:
Raster interrupts. Those really tank the speed of the emu. It must be the way SNES9X handles them (NKs emu isn't effected as much?).
Thanks for the info. There is a similar case with FF6, if you completely disable all rendering it is still too slow.. I think it has something to do with HDMA there..

notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
WhiteFalcon posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
Is it just me or are .fig files not supported anymore? (at least inside zip files). They just kick me back into the menu after trying to load them.
Probably broke that. What are other formats besides .smc .swc .sfc and .bin ?

There are probably more, but the most common are, afaik, .smc, .fig and numbers for multipart roms.

Maybe I've been playing Mario Kart on the DS too much but Super Mario Kart on the SNES feels like a totally different game from what I remember when I used to play it on the SNES. I realise it's being emulated and the framerate makes it feel choppy but even the graphics look different! The gameplay just feels really different... doing powerslides round corners with Toad causes me to crash into barriers everytime! I need to dig out my old SNES to test if its just me going crazy I think lol

anyway - good work... Streetfighter 2 Turbo is completely perfect... reason enough to buy a gp2x on its own!

This release is excellent! It runs really well now for me. I find at 240Mhz that Mario Kart is finally playable =D Strange that the title screen is really slow though?? What's different about the title screen?

MiL0 posted on Oct 25 2006 at 01:06 PM said:
Maybe I've been playing Mario Kart on the DS too much but Super Mario Kart on the SNES feels like a totally different game from what I remember when I used to play it on the SNES. I realise it's being emulated and the framerate makes it feel choppy but even the graphics look different! The gameplay just feels really different... doing powerslides round corners with Toad causes me to crash into barriers everytime! I need to dig out my old SNES to test if its just me going crazy I think lol
Cleary, you played too much to MKDS :D. I have the exact same problem with powerslide when I play Mario kart snes :lol: The same goes for the gba version. The slide tech is completly different between each version.

yea actually there is no real slide thing in super mario kart and mario kart: super circuit for the gba. it was only used i the n64, gamecube and nds version.

Vollgasasi posted on Oct 25 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
yea actually there is no real slide thing in super mario kart and mario kart: super circuit for the gba. it was only used i the n64, gamecube and nds version.

hmm you mean there was no power slide turbo in the snes and gba versions? I seem to remember I used to sorta 'hop' round corners on the snes version whereas on the ds you hold the powerslide button, press the opposide direction and then the same direction as the turn on the d-pad a few times and finally release the powerslide button to do a turbo boost. But even so, the snes versions feels so weird! I really hope it's the choppyness of the emulator causing this because as much as I love the ds version I always felt the snes version had superior gameplay. I guess some games are best left as memories :'(

For me, Super Mario Kart is still the best Mario Kart :)
But i have not palyed Gamecube and DS versions.

well super mario kart runs fullspeed for me on the emulator so it should be your skill that makes you fail :p

and btw i just tried star ocean and star fox... they both work!!!

i actually flew around in star fox a bit but it gets messed up after playing for 15 seconds. but it works! even the sound but its slow!

and star ocean has a completely messed up menu and than seems to hang. but it also works! it loads the rom both times! its great to see this emu getting better and better!

Back