Votes: 131 40.3%
  • Logo Nr. 3

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Logo Nr. 4

Votes: 131 40.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already thrown Kingus logo into EDs last poll/thread, where it wasn't present although many people prefer it, so I didn't do it again in this one, but it (means: some versions of it) still is my favourite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer it too. IMO EvilDragon don't like originale things. This would give to Pyra some identity, not like an insipide pretty generic logo.
Little harsh and unfair IMO, as he has/is developing some pretty original hardware for the 'unoriginal' logo to go on.  Which is the much more impressive thing in the first place.

Pandora/Pyra aren't original it's just what an handheld device should be nowadays.

I mean, yes there isn't any device like Pandora. But there isn't anything new in it.  It is "as much useful features as we can". Of course there is some choice like the keyboard and the memory.

But Pandora is simply the best, there isn't any orginality but the will to do as good as possible for the user (so full open etc..).

That's what I wanted to say with

there is some choice like the keyboard and the memory.
But that's not the same level of originality. Because this originality serve the will of doing it as functional as possible so it's easier to find the best because there is more parameters and concrete parameters. While for a logo there is some parameters (like recognizable, clean...) but they are fewer and abstract. So the "best" is so much hard to find because there ins't enough parameters so there is much more possibilities.

So you'll need another level of originality to find a good solution. And much people will tend to take existings things as "parameters" while you don't necesseraly need them to find a good solution, of course you have to take something which isn't too original because otherwise people will reject your originality because they live in "usual arbitrary parameters" but if you want your logo to be remembered, you have to shock their "usual arbitrary parameters" so to be pretty originale. You have to be not to far from the "parameters" and not to close.

Well, I wanted to say that originality to chose a form factor isn't the same level as originality to chose a logo.

post-2326-0-75894100-1396285196_thumb.png

Honestly, I don't like that logo. At least that version. That said, there much better logos than that one.

I prefer it too. IMO EvilDragon don't like originale things. This would give to Pyra some identity, not like an insipide pretty generic logo.
Sounds like underneath jadedness from a past subject. ;)

I like how you continue to imply that Pyra doesn't already have identity.

Sounds like underneath jadedness from a past subject. ;)

I like how you continue to imply that Pyra doesn't already have identity.
I don't like how you continue to remember only what is useful to argue again and again.

That's not what I mean. A logo have to be memorable and recognizable like ED said in the first post, when a logo is recognizable it enters in the identity of the object so yes it give it some identity. What I imply is most of the 4 logos (3/4) aren't memorable.

The most memorable and recognizable logo is the n°2. The n°4 looks certainly good but it's just one more good looking logo, while I never saw a logo which look like n°2.

What I imply is that most of the 4 logos (3/4) aren't memorable.
Number 4 isn't memorable?1) Still look like dp when flipped.

2) Looks like a flame.

3) Can be expanded to dragonbox pyra.

This isn't enough to be memorable?

The most memorable and recognizable logo is the n°2. The n°4 looks certainly good but it's just one more good looking logo, while I never see a logo which look like n°2.
If you are talking about it in general.

assassinscreedlogo-1.png
Logopreview_aologo.png

n°4 is insipide. It's just like Pandora's logo but with rounded shape. I admitt that the dp/vp trick is memorable once you know that it's dp of dragonbox Pyra.

The most memorable and recognizable logo is the n°2. The n°4 looks certainly good but it's just one more good looking logo, while I never see a logo which look like n°2.
If you are talking about it in general.

assassinscreedlogo-1.png
Logopreview_aologo.png
There is an explicit similarity but n°2 have clearly his own identity, when I look at n°2  then I look at yours I don't feel the same. Maybe because n°2 is open and asymmetric.

n°2 have a strong personnality while n°4 is insipide IMO.

One thing to keep in mind about a logo which is identical when rotated by 180 degrees is that, if it is placed in the middle of the lid, it will not provide a pointer to the side from which the device opens.

One would have to look for the hinge (if it is visible), the ports, or some other salient feauture.

(Edit: gabriel There is no right way to place something on a laptop lid, because it shifts y axis from your point of view to an onlooker as you open it, its not a good idea beforehand, and its not a good idea afterwards. Marely because a non y axis symmetric design doesn't do both.

At this point if you try to do either, if fails, because both variants are in the wild, so previously learnt behaviour can turn both ways even if you do want people to have an easy time opening the lid. Something that is arbritrary but yet a known "way to do it" is no reason to. ABXY is relevant here.

However good that might have been, it is now ruined. Even I have to accept the thinkpad way is not a right way up anymore.

I assume a handheld device is opened by hand, and then you are holding it, weight isn't a giveaway unless you have it upside down, but it usually isnt that way. Just like you can assume your girlfriend isnt upside down provided the room is sufficiently dark, but I digress, and will leave this exercise for the reader.

Tactile feel is present, you can seek the L and R for example. Or better, feel the groove of the slots. Thats a solid and "real" tactile feedback.
A little bit of texture to each corner on the front for fingerspitzengefühl, done right it feels right. Also easier to open. Visually who knows, but the whole thing could be rougher, i digress again.

If you somehow are directly above it, and its turned off (no leds) and you cant remember how you left it, then for the case of argument you bestow your eyes on a perfectly symmetric object, i don't think in any event studying the logo and making the mental connection is the most primary action. Enjoy the view, looking at something is a feat onto itself.)

To above:

While i can agree theoretically that adding features to a known platform isn't actually an original initiative as such, thats where the comparison ends. And in practice its all about execution.

Anticipating even the things you think are going to go by itself is also part of the picture, aside from how things dont happen by themselves.

You can plan to add what you want, if it isn't implemented as a sum of its parts then go back to planning with that argument.

A keyboard is equally a known method of entering input onto a system, and you are adding buttons beyond one to further that goal.

There may be nothing original about qwerty, but a lot of things do fall into an set puzzle frame from thereon. Compromise is an art too, I see that.

Refinement of things that are known to work is a. Ad nauseum.

Other than making changes to a in this case 2d plane there isn't really anything set about a creative design.

The potential for originality and known ideas, increases the level of difficulty. It is in my opinion therefore strange to compare something with such potential
to a known platform.

Even if its the pandora that we leave behind, there is no shame in bringing every part of what we created along the way, what we are, that is us, the community.

One can not have that compare to anything else, nor do I want it to.

I want it to be bold, unique, and while it knowingly may not be for absolutely everyone, it leaves a magical impression in daring to be different.

To explore that path is the selling point here, I take pride in that. And i enjoy the ride.

Edit: I appreciate immensely the support for my lid design, and to continue i think the GP2X tried to just rehash what works too much. Similarly the gwz seems to have a total disconnect between top and bottom.

I can appreciate EDs right to not persue this idea just as much as he cant afford not to listen to what those of you who want that want, provided there are a great many of you.

I do wonder about that, and what the ED-plan is, because its his vision. There is a bit of a disconnect here, and I made this http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14923-logo-idea-by-comradekingu-is-logo-idea/page-14#entry327133 to try and meet halfway.

Not trying to coup the vote, but as far as adjustments and whatnot go, I would like to know if that contribution is to your liking. To learn from you ED and the community at large.

Trying to do a d-p design thats primarily more wide. Less aggressive, less pointy, less tribal, and alluring to roundness if you see what i mean.

There needs to be another poll without the word Pyra under the logos.

This variant of #4:

pyralogo20-sm-i.png

with #2's Pyra font.

Given that my vote was based more on which I disliked least as opposed to which I liked most, I've been trying to understand why I dislike #4 so much.  I think a big part of it is that the lettering (in the logo itself) is in lower case which gives it a 'wrong' feeling.   I can't help feeling that the lower case lettering detracts more than benefits gained from being an ambigram.  Of course that's entirely a matter of personal preference on my part,  but it does leave #2 as the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

*shrugs*

- Neelix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back