The Pyra-Logo

I apologise for blowing my own trumpet here, but can I point out that the logo we actually voted on (#1) was entirely my work.

Faeminx added some little flicks - and they do improve it - but I drew the original version:
Yea, he's right.

(Anyways, I like the original one better. Sorry, FaeMinx)
Me too but I like the tweaked one as well... I'll get used to it :)

Faeminx:

Do you have a vector image of your version of the logo?

If so, its probably worth posting here to save hassle for anyone developing it further.

Here's an SVG file of the original version:

pyra-logo-original.svg.zip

Attachments

• pyra-logo-original.svg.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 288
At last. No more RFCs please ^^

I guess I'll still be sketching up a logo now and then, great for those few minutes of boredom inbetween :D

Ah, right, sorry Binky, I was so tired yesterday, I almost fell asleep in front of my PC and didn't manage to browse through the old threads to find out where the original logo came from...

Thanks to you as well, of course :)

Faeminx:

Do you have a vector image of your version of the logo?

If so, its probably worth posting here to save hassle for anyone developing it further.

Here's an SVG file of the original version:

pyra-logo-original.svg.zip
Thank you for the SVG file!

I actually don't have any vectors of my tweaks, they were all hand drawn.

If I have time today I'll see how successful I am at replicating Ed's choice in a vector app... I have a couple on my tablet, but haven't really used them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original was crap, a banal tribal tattoo which was loved by many because it was insipid and because of the cool! overused dp trick. Thanks Faeminx you saved us (even if Ed might have chosen #2 if there wasn't  this logo).

Ah, right, sorry Binky, I was so tired yesterday, I almost fell asleep in front of my PC and didn't manage to browse through the old threads to find out where the original logo came from...

Thanks to you as well, of course :)
That's ok :)

The original was crap, a banal tribal tattoo which was loved by many because it was insipid and because of the cool! overused dp trick.
That's your opinion. About half of the people here disagree.

Also, may I  draw you attention to forum rule #4 -calling people's (mine or anyone else's) work "crap, banal and insipid" is not conducive to a friendly or constructive discussion.

Just want to clarify, the logo should split apart to form
"dragonbox pyra" (maybe "dp" can burn away) and then change to "Dragonbox Pyra" with the below font.

rBAI7Wr.png
I can dig it.

Thanks for the both of you for making the logo possible.

We could discuss a lot about what the logo should be, but this one is quite nice and I wouldn't mind seeing it on the pyra.

(For some reason I would personally keep the brand and model separate, as the logo wouldn't fit on a third model not named starting with a P. D'oh! discussing again)

Could you put the text under the logo? (last time the text and logo looked good but not if you have them together)

Here's a sketch of how it can look on the lid:

Pyra is discharging:

flame.gif

Pyra is charging:

flame_charging.gif

Pyra is discharging and you've got a notification:

flame_notif.gif

That works. Tho I think red should only flicker when it is about to or close to dying.

After a quick scan for a font, I've found this one

rBAI7Wr.png

It's the Goodtimes font from fonts1001.  Slightly odd in that it's not redistributable (in TTF form, presumably) but safe for commercial use.  Plus it's apparently a clone of an old Pontiac logo, not sure if that it problematic.  And thirdly, I think I'd like it if it was a little bolder, but only one weight is supplied.  Might be a good starting point though.
I'm digging that font a lot, way cool. This gets my vote.

I apologise for blowing my own trumpet here, but can I point out that the logo we actually voted on (#1) was entirely my work.

Faeminx added some little flicks - and they do improve it - but I drew the original version:
Oh of course! I certainly wouldn't presume to take credit for the core logo... I'm just glad to have been able to help in tweaking it in a way that appeals to Ed.

Well done for coming up with it - I love the concept (obviously). ;)
Thanks Binky & Faeminx, both of your efforts are greatly appreciated. I originally didn't like the number 1 option, but after seeing the tweaks, I now think it was the best choice. Goes to show "teamwork" is key :lol:

Chris

I think it'd make sense if the logo was static if it was discharging as we'd be wasting power for nothing.
A led is not e-paper: it does not become any cheaper in power consumption by making it static. I'm assuming there that the color changes can be done in a way that does not keep the CPU awake of course -- I'm not sure if that is a reasonable assumption, but I hope it is.

A blinking led that alternates x ms of being on with x ms of being off should consume about half as much power as a led that is just on. So the flickering flame thing may actually save power :)

I'd hope changing the colour of the LED could be handled by the M4 waking up every few milliseconds, or some other bit of low power hardware on board.  Not free, but hopefully not too expensive.

That said, _wb_'s examples just prove to me how undecipherable I find these flickering colours, I'm afraid.  After some study, I can discern that the last logo alernates between red, orange, blue and white.  I guess the red and orange are the discharging, and the white is the notification, but what's the blue?

If I get the chance I think I'd prefer a solid colour for charging or discharging.  If it needs to be multiplexed with other colours to indicate other states I'd say the colour should change only every 500ms as a minimum, with an except for white notifications which could 'sparkle' by appearing for say 100ms every second.  I'd like for example a notification to be for when the wifi is connected to an AP, so it could be solid orange when disconnected, and orange with white flecks when connected.

Edit: _wb_ did the flashing examples, not Binky!

Back