Transfers... Tranzfers..

With GC you still have the question of how people would pay; which would still be bank transfer or credit card. To be able to allow credit card OP would still run the risk of the bank not accepting payments.

BTW, gp2x-shop is ED's shop I believe.

yes but they can send out a gift card by credit card as the item can be sent within 30 days..
this does not break pay pal or CC rules then

But it doesn't give any real protection either. (Protection from outside factors scuppering things, not OP )

It would avoid bank transfer fees, but how likely is it that the bank would allow it?

it may again allow credit card use which in that case the credit card will supply some protection...
hopefully..(from whatever)

No, it won't provide protection. You would order a GC. When said gift certificate turns up the transaction is complete and there is no further protection. And you don't think the bank are going to spot these masses of transactions and wonder what is going on?

mali said:
conso said:
why not just sell gift-certificates for the gp2x-shop in the price-range of the pandora? :huh:

Good idea IMO :)
+1

Will people get over this whole need for protection thing. If you're worried about the Pandora not being made cancel your pre-order and let people with more courage be in the first batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thousands of sites, (I shouldn't have to give examples), sell gift certificates every day. You can purchase these items credit card - returning consumer protection. Once you have a gift certificate, no one can stop Ed from taking them in exchange for a preorder. Plus, if anything should happen, God forbid, you just buy a wiz....or something. If you don't get your money back from an actual shop, gift certificate or otherwise, there are very real things you can do to get your money back.

Protection is zero, but it would be a better practice than selling CDs, that's for sure.

but then again if my credit card company goes bankrupt I lose it all wah!!!
Anyone got a solution wah!! I don't want to use my credit card now its too insecure! wah!!

I think the gift certificate is a great idea. It's just down to Craig now to see if it's a workable solution or not.

DCillusion said:
Thousands of sites, (I shouldn't have to give examples), sell gift certificates every day. You can purchase these items credit card - returning consumer protection. Once you have a gift certificate, no one can stop Ed from taking them in exchange for a preorder. Plus, if anything should happen, God forbid, you just buy a wiz....or something. If you don't get your money back from an actual shop, gift certificate or otherwise, there are very real things you can do to get your money back.
Ah, but that's not what the CC fans are asking for. They want a way to ensure they'll get their money back, no matter what. For those that trust the OpenPandora team gift vouchers are the perfect solution (notice I put a +1 in my post above).

For those who believe the Pandora is too risky and want to be able to get a refund through their bank (even though the OpenPandora team have obviously proved they can be trusted by sorting out the first set of refunds), these are the people who should wait for the 2nd batch, because no matter what words the team uses they aren't going to be satisfied.

Gift certificates are by far the best idea to solve the banking issues (IMHO).

I've posted that FAQ on the unofficial blog, as it's one of the only useful bits of information from this thread.

mazza558 said:
I've posted that FAQ on the unofficial blog, as it's one of the only useful bits of information from this thread.
I agree, but this thread wasn't about useful information, it's about suggestions for alternative payment methods, which the gift certificate seems to be the most sensible thus far, I just hope Craig reads this and lets us no how viable it is.

---_Won_--- said:
you should have given all the info you could, the main one being how many more people still need to pay for there pre-order.
How many people need to preorder? None. We don't need money from anybody else to make Pandoras for those who have already paid. I'm trying to convince Craig to call off additional preorders entirely and just make units for the existing orders. Obviously no CC merchant system is willing to sell preorders, and anybody who is willing to pay via bank transfer has already done so. We'd like to be able to provide a reorder option for everybody who ordered originally, but obviously that just isn't possible.

Those who are not comfortable with a bank transfer are welcome to wait until we have Pandoras in stock and can accept normal CC orders.

Chip said:
---_Won_--- said:
you should have given all the info you could, the main one being how many more people still need to pay for there pre-order.
How many people need to preorder? None. We don't need money from anybody else to make Pandoras for those who have already paid. I'm trying to convince Craig to call off additional preorders entirely and just make units for the existing orders. Obviously no CC merchant system is willing to sell preorders, and anybody who is willing to pay via bank transfer has already done so. We'd like to be able to provide a reorder option for everybody who ordered originally, but obviously that just isn't possible.

Those who are not comfortable with a bank transfer are welcome to wait until we have Pandoras in stock and can accept normal CC orders.
I agree, I think we should give up on the pre-order idea, however, I would like to be able to order as soon as the units are made (that being an order, not a pre-order) and maybe somehow get priority on my order due to having originally pre-ordered.

Chip said:
---_Won_--- said:

That's good to hear. Thanks for the anwser. If it is true that you can already produce pandora for everyone that paid it isn't that bad at all. People won't keep their place in the order queue but I think that matters little now.

I have to say the whole team is doing a great job designing and getting the pandora together... however when it comes to communication there is a need to be more careful and more professional IMO.
The post that craig made was quite devastating. A lot of ppl are waiting for the product and they need good clear update on what's going on, especially on the ordering/payment part. It's not about posting every day but from time to time a good professional update is welcome. I am no saying you haven't been doing this at all, we did have some great upgrade about the product and all. But the whole pre-order has been quite a roller coaster.
It's up to the team to find a solution to the order problem and that isn't / doesn't look like a credit card "fraud". If that involves shipping the pandora to ppl that paid by bank transfer first, so be it. No solution is going to make everyone happy anyway.

Having people feeling of being "forced" into making a bank transfer when they always though they would be able to pay by CC is something but should be avoided.

mazza558 said:
I've posted that FAQ on the unofficial blog, as it's one of the only useful bits of information from this thread
I've updated the FAQ, and I've PM'ed the BBCode to you, just in case you wanted to update the blog.

If I have to update it again, I'll just move it to the Wiki. :p

Back