Transfers... Tranzfers..

I have a plan, not sure how feasible it is though.

Remember the 'Hacker Pandora' idea that might be available to developers that have already pre-ordered? Just the main board and screen and battery etc. without the case?

How about this. Extending on that idea, why not send us whatever components are ready to us, and we assemble it altogether (following a manual or guide) bit by bit until we have everything we need to make our complete Pandora's? It would save some manual work on your end I think, and those that are really impatient can get whatever bits and bobs that are available now alleviating the 30-day credit card order limit problem.

Of course not everyone would be willing to assemble their own, but if there is a choice it could help :)

Love to try a DIY thing myself actually :p

It's pretty irritating to see official responses in this thread that STILL do not tell us why the CC orders aren't just happening closer to the shipping date.

The next time I pay for the Pandora it will have been my FOURTH payment. If it gets to five I'm not sure I can even allow myself to order again, as I'm losing money every single time it moves from my accounts to yours.

craigix said:
Oh and if HSBC really won't refund those AMEX orders we will just have to take the hit and honour them anyway. I've had a meeting with them about it but I may as well have been speaking to a brick wall.
Craigix,
What do you mean by "take a hit and honour them anyway"? Will HSBC pay you NOTHING for these orders? Or do you mean you will only get a portion of the money for some reason due to fees, etc? I am particularly interested in this because I am one of the people who paid this way.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
jakewastaken said:
It's pretty irritating to see official responses in this thread that STILL do not tell us why the CC orders aren't just happening closer to the shipping date.
Exactly my thinking. I just did a bank transfer today, but had I seen this thread beforehand, and the fact that craigx hasn't answered the question, has made me (slightly) suspicious. Up until now I had no doubt about openPandora, but now..... TBH I'm tempted to ask for a refund once the transfer once it goes through... just in case...

EDIT: Just checked Lloyds TSB and found out you can cancel the transfer, so I did. Am waiting till we get some straight answers before I re-order.

I never got any email originally when they refunded my money, and now I never got the credit card email (I heard united states was first). If I can't pay by credit card, I guess I wont be able to get one...

I will be ready to pay by credit card when they are ready to accept credit card orders.
If that means waiting until they are shipping, going to the end of the queue, or slipping to the next batch, so be it.

atomicthumbs said:
So, uh...

what do those of us in the United States do?

From the Tranzfers FAQ:
Currently you can send funds between the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Canada and funds to South Africa.
No, Tranzfers does work in the US (that FAQ is outdated), and they only charge $5.

I think this thread was probably a mistake, craigix, it will stir up more anxiety and the "CD" suggestion is too dodgy to consider for most.

Anyway, here are a few other transfer options that I've seen recommended around the net:

http://www.moneybookers.com/
http://www.neteller.com/
https://www.obopay.com/

And a slightly wacky option I've heard about that apparently works well: http://www.e-gold.com/

There is also Anypay.com which I had not heard much about, but could be a good alternative to Paypal.

MDave said:

Remember the 'Hacker Pandora' idea that might be available to developers that have already pre-ordered? Just the main board and screen and battery etc. without the case?

How about this. Extending on that idea, why not send us whatever components are ready to us, and we assemble it altogether (following a manual or guide) bit by bit until we have everything we need to make our complete Pandora's? It would save some manual work on your end I think, and those that are really impatient can get whatever bits and bobs that are available now alleviating the 30-day credit card order limit problem.

Of course not everyone would be willing to assemble their own, but if there is a choice it could help :)

Wow, I knew this year was flying by but I didn't realise it was April 1st yet. You've GOT to be kidding, right? The last thing people want after waiting patiently for the Pandora to arrive is for it to finally do so - in pieces!!

Hell, why not start a magazine that gives away a piece of the Pandora every fortnight..

Anyone?

I really wish more people would consider transfers. There are plenty of options (as demonstrated by GunPei2x) and it doesn't have to cost you 40 odd dollars.

When did the world get brainwashed into believing that credit is the only way to do things. :( Credit is why the world markets went to shit, and subsequently why this whole problem came about for us. Yet people are persistent. Credit credit credit. It's like flogging the dead empty horse that kicked you in the shins in the first place.

Don't make me get Steve Ballmer in here to shout "transfer" 35 times.

Gruso said:
I really wish more people would consider transfers. There are plenty of options (as demonstrated by GunPei2x) and it doesn't have to cost you 40 odd dollars.

When did the world get brainwashed into believing that credit is the only way to do things. :( Credit is why the world markets went to shit, and subsequently why this whole problem came about for us. Yet people are persistent. Credit credit credit. It's like flogging the dead empty horse that kicked you in the shins in the first place.

I'd pay by transfer, but I am one of the unfortunate AMEX users. So I haven't even been handed my refund yet.

Gruso said:

You really are missing THE point Credit Cards give security when buying. its not about buying something you cant afford its about spending a couple of hundred pounds and knowing if Pandora doesnt ship then we still get our money back.

Gruso said:

The problem is that credit cards give the buyer security, in the form of chargebacks, etc; transfers don't. (if I'm not mistaken) It's for this reason, plus the perks and convienience, I use credit for all but the most mundane things. I pay my balances in full each month, and so don't pay any surcharges or interest.

I, unfortunately, ordered via AMEX and therefore haven't gotten a refund. The issue of whether or not I'm willing to pay via transfer (and therefore, pay fees- I hate fees!) is moot, since I can't/won't reorder until I do get a refund.

danjh0 said:
MDave said:

Wow, I knew this year was flying by but I didn't realise it was April 1st yet. You've GOT to be kidding, right? The last thing people want after waiting patiently for the Pandora to arrive is for it to finally do so - in pieces!!

Hell, why not start a magazine that gives away a piece of the Pandora every fortnight..

Anyone?

You missed the point if you think I'm kidding :lol: by default it comes fully assembled etc like how your expecting it to come, but for those that want something to develop/play on asap get the option to through a DIY style system that hopefully covers the credit card ordering problem, where you get the parts needed when they are ready to stay within the 30 day limit :p Of course you don't start off with a few screws and wires, hah. Just the mainboard like what some software devs have had to use up to now. Then the case and keypad/buttons when they are ready. Then whatever else is left.

Gruso said:

The point is that ppl where expecting to pay by CC. If you pay by CC you get some sort a protection. You don't get that if you do a transfer and that's the really important point here. Seriously how are the ppl paying by credit card wrong ?? If somebody is to blame here it is the pandora team. Then should have know that CC order wouldn't be possible and say that you can only order by bank transfer.

Of course then ppl would have been suspicious and scared because you don't get any protection when doing a transfer. Still it would have been more correct for them to say that they just needed the money first to produce the items.

Right now there are a lot of ppl that have paid for they pandora by bank transfer. They don't have any guaranty and there are basically financing the project. I can't see it otherwise.
The pandora team is saying they have no money problem but that just doesn't make any sense any more. It look to me they are badly looking for money. I mean ship a CD for the price of the pandora ?
The community deserve to know the truth. Especially those ppl who put they money on the line.

Strictly, this doesn't concern me; I payed by transfer immediately after pre-ordering started.

But Craig, please! If pre-ordering really matters so much to you (i.e. you need the cash), then say so clearly and tell us something more precise about the state of affairs. I know you're a business man and your accounts shouldn't concern us, but you're really asking a lot, so you have to give something in return. And I don't mean a CD. I mean the kind of information we can't download from a git server.

On the other hand, if the project is backed by enough cash and credits, you could lay low instead and not stir up an already overly nervous crowd.

Just my 2 cents. I'm ready to wait some more, but if cash is the problem, you should call it by its proper name. There's a solution for everything.

Plus, although my payment has gone okay, I'd still know in advance whether the project is seriously threatened. I'd hate to lose my money without even a chance of intervention.
Enough other people have stated similar concerns. So please clarify!

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!

I'm not missing any points. You can ask AMEX customers about the "security" of their money. (Thankfully it looks like they'll get looked after either way).

Right now, my bank transferred money has more chance of being traced & reclaimed than any money on the wrong side of the AMEX double-brick wall.

Not that there's any chance I'll go down that path, because I trust the developers and want the project to forge ahead. It would be great if more people felt this way.

+1 for clarification. Flatly, How many Pandora's can be built with no other outside funds?

krooked said:
paying all that money for a data cd would be just as insecure as bank transfer if the Pandora isn't also being mentioned in the CC order- which is exactly what is causing the problem.
Interesting. What if an e-mail receipt was sent after purchasing the CD or whatever that clearly stated a free Pandora was to sent at a later date? Then there would be some sort of written contract.

DisgruntleElf said:
Interesting. What if an e-mail receipt was sent after purchasing the CD or whatever that clearly stated a free Pandora was to sent at a later date? Then there would be some sort of written contract.
That just sounds so desperate

Back