Wait The Initial Release Is Only 3000 Units

geo12 said:
Since we're on the topic, is there any speculation about when the second batch will be out.
Probably shortly after the first batch has sold out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
geo12 said:
Since we're on the topic, is there any speculation about when the second batch will be out.
Probably shortly after the first batch has sold out?

I'd guess it'd depend *heavily* on how fast the first batch are selling. I'd imagine they'll have predicted a rate of sale in addition to the numbers (based on, probably, GP2x sales in the first month or so after release).

If they find that that rate is too high (only a subset of GP2x users have yet been convinced), then they'll make the second batch later. If they find they've finished all their pre-orders in a week, when they were expecting a month, then they'll probably send in the second order faster. Assuming this is possible, of course...

The only thing we know for sure is that they will not be ordering the second batch until they've made some money on the first batch :)

Off topic, but I'm amazed at how many people from the early GP32 days are still around.

Sphinxter said:
I think it's a lot since 3k units is about 2% of all the gp2x's ever sold.
I haven't heard any GP2X sales estimates that were nearly as generous as 150,000 units sold. I expect it to be closer to 1/5th that.

Exophase said:
Sphinxter said:
I haven't heard any GP2X sales estimates that were nearly as generous as 150,000 units sold. I expect it to be closer to 1/5th that.

was about to say the same thing...without real numbers i'd say even that's generous. and in any case, it took a couple of years to sell that many.

the pandora may well outsell the gp2x, it certainly appears to be done right. but there's a big difference between people saying that they're interested and saying "i'll take it".

(i'll be somewhat disappointed if it turns out gph was "right"...make 'em cheap, sell 'em kinda cheap, get in, get out, ignore the complaints. i hope people are prepared to pay for quality...)

Exophase said:
Sphinxter said:

Can't remember where I read it, was probably 50.000.

Sphinxter said:
Exophase said:
Sphinxter said:

Can't remember where I read it, was probably 50.000.

Here ?.

Trooper

Avigrace said:
Off topic, but I'm amazed at how many people from the early GP32 days are still around.
I was just playing my GP32 a little last week. :)

I thought the GP2X was approaching 75k sales.

Anyway...3000 should be enough to get the word out. I imagine a second batch of 3k will come around shortly after. ;)

Listen to the wise ledow.

If GPH are telling the truth the GP2X sales must be over 50k now which is pretty good, I think we would be very happy with 50k Pandoras sold!

You would have to think Pandora could go close to matching, even surpassing, the GP2X's sales. It's in with a chance, anyway!

GunPei2X said:
You would have to think Pandora could go close to matching, even surpassing, the GP2X's sales. It's in with a chance, anyway!
A very big chance i`d say, Especially once word really gets out and the hardware is ready for all those grubby hands.

Trooper

trooper said:
GunPei2X said:
A very big chance i`d say, Especially once word really gets out and the hardware is ready for all those grubby hands.

Trooper

Exactly. The Pandora will influence anyone who has a GP2X (pretty much anyway) and will also penetrate the handheld market to an extent. Even with a higher price than the F200 it has many more abilities than it which means it will justify the price and get sold more. (bit-o-mumbo jumbo there)

Anyway I'd expect the Pandora to do quite well.

Well i don't know if we can expected more sold than GP2X, maybe or maybe not :rolleyes:

For me no problem Pandora is exactly the pocket computer game i want

But maybe i am an "E.T." : a gamer ( and girl :D ) who loves pocket computer and have a little of money for that ;)

Pure gamer don't buy Pandora i think ....

Geeks ( who couldn't resist to buy all gaming devices like PS3, Wii, Xbox, DS and PSP ) maybe if they have enough money yet :p

people who want a pda and love gaming ? maybe ..... if Pandora has good program for business ( dialer .... ) of course

but i'm afraid than Pandora is not serious look to compete against PDA :p

And i think than many people who want a Pandora don't have the money for :( ( i'm hope i'm wrong )

trooper said:
GunPei2X said:

Trooper

I would like to see it sell as much as possible, but I've a feeling it won't take off as fast as some might hope, mainly due to price and nothing amazing (at the minute) to show it off with, sure it will sell steadily with the first 3000 selling out within the month and maybe 10,000 by xmas IF there are big enough differences to see from the GP2X i.e wifi Quake 3 and other OpenGL ports, but it is £80 more than the GP2X and £200 is really pushing it with most people's price range esp in the current climate we are having, heck i want one badly but may have to sell something to get one.

Just my opinions of course, hope it does sell well though, everyone wants to have as many homebrewers/testers/devs etc on board otherwise we may as well get a cheaper GP2X!

jaycee900 said:
I would like to see it sell as much as possible, but I've a feeling it won't take off as fast as some might hope, mainly due to price and nothing amazing (at the minute) to show it off with, sure it will sell steadily with the first 3000 selling out within the month and maybe 10,000 by xmas IF there are big enough differences to see from the GP2X i.e wifi Quake 3 and other OpenGL ports, but it is £80 more than the GP2X and £200 is really pushing it with most people's price range esp in the current climate we are having, heck i want one badly but may have to sell something to get one.

Just my opinions of course, hope it does sell well though, everyone wants to have as many homebrewers/testers/devs etc on board otherwise we may as well get a cheaper GP2X!
Well, I dunno. I know a number of people (me included) that would gladly and smilingly sacrifice any requested number of unnecessary body extremities for a UMPC with the features the Pandora promises (battery life, Linux, multimedia capabilities, that gorgeous screen, connectivity, expandability and yes, even the game playing thingie).

For a UMPC, the Pandora is ridiculously cheap (but don't tell Craig! It might give him ideas...).

Karel Jansens said:
Well, I dunno. I know a number of people (me included) that would gladly and smilingly sacrifice any requested number of unnecessary body extremities for a UMPC with the features the Pandora promises (battery life, Linux, multimedia capabilities, that gorgeous screen, connectivity, expandability and yes, even the game playing thingie).
Yes but, and I say this with the utmost respect, you're not normal. When I first heard about the project, my reaction was something like "Holy crap! That's exactly what I've been waiting for!". I'm sure many people on these forums had a similar reaction.

But when you look at the responses to Pandora articles on more traditional gaming and tech sites, the consensus is an overwhelming "Meh." Nintendo and Sony fanboys aside, most people seem to think it's generally a good idea, but they either think it's too expensive or they already have a device which already does either gaming or computing, and they don't care about the other functions.

The average person does not want or need a Pandora. They're not willing to give up $330 for one, let alone any body parts. I think there's enough of us weirdos around that Craig won't have much trouble selling all his stock, but don't expect Pandora to be the next big thing outside of our niche.

Chip said:
The average person does not want or need a Pandora. They're not willing to give up $330 for one, let alone any body parts. I think there's enough of us weirdos around that Craig won't have much trouble selling all his stock, but don't expect Pandora to be the next big thing outside of our niche.
In fairness, I wasn't talking about the "average person" (who for all I know might think a computer has very small nomes (Hi, Terry!) inside that do all the magical stuff), but rather about that awkward subsection of the population that

0) understands computers and
1) wants those computers to be as near to them as possible at all times.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Pandora is not just a gaming handheld and that the interest for non-gaming use might be severely underestimated. Heck, even an N810 is lots more expensive than a Pandora.

Chip said:
Yes but, and I say this with the utmost respect, you're not normal.
Oh and: What gave me away? It's the hat, right? B)

Back