Wait The Initial Release Is Only 3000 Units

1 AUD = 0.954062 USD which I'd say meant you needed to add about $15 to the USD price, so $345 ex shipping and any taxes and/or duties that maybe incurred.

JuhoZero said:
So is it like, if we find some bugs on the first 3000 units, do they get patch fixes?
No. All sales are final and there will be no support. :rolleyes:

Of course there will be updates and patches if necessary. They're not going to pull a Microsoft and ship a product with dozens of known problems, expecting to fix them in a service pack. But in the event that some bug does get through the testing phase, there will certainly be a fix made available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
JuhoZero said:
So is it like, if we find some bugs on the first 3000 units, do they get patch fixes?
No. All sales are final and there will be no support. :rolleyes:

Of course there will be updates and patches if necessary. They're not going to pull a Microsoft and ship a product with dozens of known problems, expecting to fix them in a service pack. But in the event that some bug does get through the testing phase, there will certainly be a fix made available.

I tought, it would be that way... Just had to make sure :lol:

Sorry... i wasnt sure where to ask this...
but i was wondering wat formats does the Pandora run...
for example since it runs linux...
does it run .exe files or something?
i don really kno wat linux is so... yeh...
>_<

-aznJun

aznJun said:
Sorry... i wasnt sure where to ask this...
but i was wondering wat formats does the Pandora run...
for example since it runs linux...
does it run .exe files or something?
i don really kno wat linux is so... yeh...
>_<

-aznJun
It runs Linux executables, which are usually ELF files, but they don't have a particular extension.

It runs Linux, and Linux software. Running EXE's on the Pandora is impossible. If you think of using WINE, it won't work because WINE requires a different processor.

In short, any software you want to use on the Pandora will first have to be ported, which can be either extremely easy or extremely difficult depending on what the software itself uses.

Speaking of WINE, since it won't work, what kind of speed/power are we expecting at this point out of x86 emulators like dosbox and qemu? Have any dev's tried it? Does anyone have a guess?

jbr said:
Speaking of WINE, since it won't work, what kind of speed/power are we expecting at this point out of x86 emulators like dosbox and qemu? Have any dev's tried it? Does anyone have a guess?
Yes, we have a guess.

jbr said:
...what kind of speed/power are we expecting at this point out of x86 emulators like dosbox and qemu? Have any dev's tried it? Does anyone have a guess?
FAQ

edit: Chip was quicker ;-)

hey

Anyhows this is my first post here.

I was never around in the gp32 days, but I did hang out at the official gp2x forums when it was first made and when they were deciding on the name and such up until around the time it was released, I think there was alot of chaos and such in the forum.

Anyhows I was put off by everything that was going on and all the software and hardware bugs and bricking units and such, and so never ended up getting one.

I think there was alot of over promising or whatever of the gp2x, and I think they over stated the battery life and such, although there were fixes to the firmware that ended up making it last longer, but it still not as originally stated or whatever, but I dunno.

Anyhows looking over the official pandora website they seem much more trusting to me, but I'm still iffy about the first batch. I'm still thinking about whether I should get a pandora or not, but I seem to be taking quite a liking to it, I just hope the battery really does last 10 hours and it would be nice if it didn't take long to start up so I could make use of it for other things (such as graphical calculator or whatever).

It seems most people will be using this thing for emulation, but if I was to get one I'd have to find other uses (which is kinda exciting, hehe), and another thing is that I'm mostly at home anyhows. I don't really play commercial roms (well don't really play any sorta roms, hehe), although there was a time when I was right into it and had lots of roms and such, but now days I think it's like stealing and it spoils you and ya lose appreciation for the games, but I dunno. Now days I only have roms for testing/debugging me emus :\, although there are alot of homebrew roms that are really nice for testing/debugging. So yea, I'd only use for emulation if I learn more about electronics and make my own cartridge dumper (I got some nes, gameboy, and gameboy advance games).

Well I look forward to seeing what original games people make, I know I'd like to make my own games for it and is one of the things that intrigue me. If I do happen to get a pandora I might consider porting my original gbemu and nesemu if I get them up to scratch, my gbemu has a vblank timing bug that I could never figure out (although most games seem to work) and I gotta get the ppu timing and whatever else for the nes up to scratch, and they both don't have sound and I need to add support for more cartridge memory mapping schemes mainly for me nesemu. But yea, I'd much rather try make an original games and programs for it.

Hmm, it will be interesting to see how things turn out, I seem to think things will go well and are interested how others think things will turn out? The thing that would turn me away is a poor battery life, so I hope it really does turn out to be around 10 hours. I know it would be a bit disapointing to wait for the second batch, and find the first batch was perfectly fine. Hmm, I do wonder what the price will end up being, hopefully if I do go ahead with things then I got enough spare to pay for it, hehe.

Anyhows it seems there are 278 pages with 50 members per page on the member list page, oddly 108 pages of those members have made 0 posts, and around 82 pages of members with no more than 5 posts, so there are around 88 pages of members who have made over 5 posts (around 4400 actual members). But yea, that's for the entire forum and really I don't think this tells ya that much about how the pandora will go, hehe.

cyas

I think 3000 is a perfect number- I believe they will have a few hundred pre orders, then after it gets released and gets monster press from gaming websites, it will get several hundred more over the next couple days, and over the next month more will trickle in.
Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, but it 's just speculation.

SONY said:
Just letting everyone here know that I will be one of the first 3000 to get a PANDORA. :)
I weep for the orphan pandora that gets set down next to a disgusting ps3.

Back