What Have You Bought While Waiting For Your Pandora?

I bought a Nokia N810 that I like a lot I am sure the Pandora will be better.
I am thinking to buy a Beagle Board and/or an iPod touch

...but I hope to have soon my Pandora

MS

Pleng said:
Jourdy288 said:
Didn't buy any new electronics! This is what I've been waiting for, I'll be electronically set for the next few years
(although I do want a Gamecube, I had this odd dream, I was at Wal-Mart and my mom was going to buy it when we didn't have enough money, so she took the diamond out of her wedding wring, along with some golden beads from her necklace. People in line gasped, and an old lady hit me with a purse! So we left without it, and when I got home, there was an old box for Chinese food, it contained the Gamecube! Unfortunately, it turned into some sort of remote control when I brought it inside. *SIGH* Not even in my dreams)
But I'll keep holding on for the Pandora, I've been saving every cent I could for it.

It's good that you've found the spoiler tag, really it is. You've proved to the board that you know how to use it by using it in *every* post that you've made since you found it.

Now it's time to progress to the next level; learning what context the spoiler tag should be used in and, more importantly, when it shouldn't be used.
Honestly, how many people really care to hear about my dumb dream?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't until you said it was a spoiler... I expected a lewd account of electronics being used in inappropiate ways.
Disappointed.
But the Chinese food box kept me interested.

(naw)mcx said:
trooper said:
(naw)mcx said:
I actually got some iGrados but they were shit.

Phew!, Thanks for the tip, Think i`ll stick to my PX100`s for now.

Trooper
Word of warning, apparently they are great when modded, but the screws were stripped on mine, so I could not get them open.

I see, Still think i`ll stay with my PX100`s though.

HackModford said:
Let's see...

I bought an Asus eee pc 900 (which has been one of the most useful devices I've ever bought!)

Is that the Eeepc with the 8.9" screen in the same sized case as the 701 ?, Or is that the 901 ?. All these bloody Eeepc models are too bloody confusing. :blink:

I still have a 701 (Black), But the screen`s a bit too small, Used to have a 904HD 8.9" screen, But the form factor is a bit too big.

Is the 900/901 the model i could be looking for ?.

Anyone ?.

Trooper

trooper said:

Anyone ?.

Trooper

All the 9 inch netbooks except the 904 are pretty much the same size as the 700 series. I think they have been pretty much been phased out in the EEE line so it may be hard to find one.

greendots said:
trooper said:

Anyone ?.

Trooper

All the 9 inch netbooks except the 904 are pretty much the same size as the 700 series. I think they have been pretty much been phased out in the EEE line so it may be hard to find one.

Yeah, Ok thanks, Looks like it`s going to have to be a Mini 9.

Trooper

Gameboy Micro, and I have to say it has done well to entertain me.

Now I just need to wait another couple of months for the second batch :angry:

Ive purchased alot since my interest in the pandora sparked. I purchased 2 gp32's NLU and 1 BLU, 3 nuons(2 toshiba 1 samsun) Ngage original and a Black Dingoo A320 to go with my Wiz. Now I just need to weed down some of this stuff

kuru said:
Should work out of the box with anything that can use HID interface. It worked from the start with my Nokia N95 for general typing. Installing the proper driver allowed me to use the shortcuts (like programs, inbox, excel etc.).

iGo bought up Think Outside, the ultra-slim stowaway is the same product. There's also a Dell-branded version out there. Picked mine up on eBay for 60€, but you should be able to get one of those for noticeably less.

Edit: No other portable keyboard is close to being a match to this one. It works like a charm and is very easy to fold and carry. I <3 it.

Thank-you for the information. I've now bought a brand new 'Think Outside' one from ebay for £32 (expecting delivery today). They're simply amazing, from the looks and reviews of the thing. I'm very surprised that it's so hard to get hold of one of these they're suitable for so many devices.

Also looking for a 16/32GB SD card and a screen protector, might wait on the case but it'll be a Nintendo DS Original one in all likelihood - I didn't fancy paying almost £20 for the Pandora branded one that we're all yet to see.

I found todays dilbert really apropriate to the pandora situation so i'll spam it here

70675.strip.gif

Bosbeetle said:
I found todays dilbert really apropriate to the pandora situation so i'll spam it here

Haha :D I read that too but somehow didn't make a connection to the pandora :)

Not bought anything, but I've dusted off the ol' NeoGeo Pocket Color while I wait for Pandora. Nice.

Do you think a blue tooth dongle would affect the battery life of the pandora much?

This might be neat if you can mod it to shake on different types of events like IM's ect, especiialy in long sleeve weather so you can cover it up LOL.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/on-sale/9e31/

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
Do you think a blue tooth dongle would affect the battery life of the pandora much?
Yes, a bluetooth dongle will drain the battery. It's probably better to just use the built in bluetooth transceiver ;)

edit: not saying the internal won't use battery, just that it's probably at least as efficient as a dongle, and probably a little more so since it doesn't have to pass through the USB bus first.

trooper said:
Is that the Eeepc with the 8.9" screen in the same sized case as the 701 ?, Or is that the 901 ?. All these bloody Eeepc models are too bloody confusing. :blink:

I still have a 701 (Black), But the screen`s a bit too small, Used to have a 904HD 8.9" screen, But the form factor is a bit too big.

Anyone ?.

Trooper

The Asus 900 is a Celeron 900Mhz. The 901 is an Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz machine.

I have a 901, it's a magnificent machine. It makes a fantastic MythTV frontend. If you can afford the extra $$$, go for the 901. (There may be much better models by now, you'd need to research that). Try out Ubuntu Netbook Remix if you do get a netbook, it's a fantastic OS for these little machines.

To answer the original question, I've purchased a Garmin eTrex Venture HCx GPS unit and started up Geocaching. I've also purchased an iPod touch 16GB, hoping to do development eventually (I was very disappointed to discover you need a Mac to develop for it!)

My health still sucks though and I've not had a chance to do any more coding in the past year, though I did try playing Galactic Artifact last night and was inspired by it. I'm hoping that when I eventually get my Pandora I'll be inspired enough to finish it off... :)

MrBlais said:
A year of school that set me back $5,500... Glad to see people are still buying 'toys'.. ;)

Wow, your school is a much better deal than mine, price-wise. I just started, and it's about that same amount, but per semester. My job might cover half of it, though, which would make us even. :)

My "tech" budget for a year usually averages out to about $500, including computer hardware, computer software, phones, embedded devices and video game hardware (not video game software or accessories, but I generally buy those when I find good deals, like this week's B2G1 from Toys'R'Us and Amazon). Last year was a new PC (Shuttle Athlon X2 system), this year was a Pandora. I'm buying a house, though (my "house" budget is considerably larger than my tech budget and in fact considerably larger than my savings), and I will have to get some support equipment, such as a good UPS and some sort of wireless router, for my tech stuff. Also, it turns out that the local fiber optic Internet/TV/Phone service comes with a free netbook, so depending on when this part happens and when my Pandora comes to me, I may have "bought" that stuff while waiting.

I am also keeping my eye on the SheevaPlug, which is almost exactly what I need to replace my aging (~11yo) home server while decreasing my power footprint and looking into replacement monitors. My 13yo monitor has a 20" viewable screen with 4:3 aspect ratio. I like 5:3 aspect ratios, but 16:9 seems ridiculously ribbon-like. Still, I will eventually upgrade when I can get a relatively inexpensive monitor that isn't in any way a downgrade from what I have now. I worked out that it'd have to be 24.5" diagonal minimum to not be a vertical downgrade.

Also, a couple times I just barely avoided the temptation to buy a video game system which is packaged in the Pandora form factor.

I want to buy something cell-phone-sized that I can program, but they all seem to be very expensive, and Nokia doesn't even want to tell me how I would go about programming any of their stuff.

Lots of beer and curries.

Oh, and an SF4 Madcatz tournie fight stick for super-enhanced XBLA and MAME arcade goodness. Sweet :)
(Can anyone recommend any classic 2D shooters in the Raiden/1942 ilk?)

Can't quite rememeber why I ordered a Pandora...........I'm sure it'll come back to me.

;)

Back