$1 Pandora.

why not add some advertisement in the forum pages to get some money?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be perceived as unprofessional by potential customers if the official forum of the company is ad supported.

So could asking for donations. Just saying. I don't know how relevant that is at this point.

That said, I'm sure many people here would rather donate than deal with ads, if it came to that.

but IMO for some people it could be an easy way to dismiss the opinions of those who have not paid to support the forums.
I do however think what someone suggested earlier about badges (with a whole system for all sorts of Pandora related support like application development) would be the best way to implement this system and would be a great way to judge the quality of advice given out on the boards.
Because a badge is a clear indicator of helpfulness? Aren't you doing exactly that what you described in the previous paragraph? I.e. dismiss posts by those who don't have the proper badge.

Not necessarily. Having just a badge for forum support splits the community into two groups: Those that supported the forum via donation and those that did not. Having a multitude of badges breaks us up into much more meaningful groups, so I feel the urge to dismiss non-contributors is less.

You know what.... Nevermind. Clearly I am talking out of both sides of my mouth and I'm starting to see that. Please ignore everything I've said about badges. Just let all users have access to news and purchases and I'll go sit back in my corner until there is another forum topic that needs muddy-ing. =)

SHxKl.png
People really like blinky's coin better than Muggie's? blinky's idea for forum icons is great, and the rest of those icons look good, but his coin doesn't even look like a coin. Do people seriously prefer that over Muggie's? Muggie's coin looks damn good and should be used. The heart looks great, too. Maybe make it optional for people who donate.

It's not going to completely divide the community, but IMO for some people it could be an easy way to dismiss the opinions of those who have not paid to support the forums.

Anyone who dismisses the opinions of others based on whether or not that person donated is clearly an idiot whose opinion should be dismissed. ;)

People really like blinky's coin better than Muggie's?
I prefer Muggie's. Blinky's icons are hosted somewhere that is apparently blocked at work so I can't see them :p
It's hosted on the server that the forums are on. It's uploaded as an attachment to the forums. They should be visible if you can use the forums. Are you sure you're not forgetting to click the link next to the attachment icon? It only shows up in the post for on his original post. It doesn't show up in quoted posts unless you click the link.

Do you really think that having an extra icon will split the community??? lol

It's not going to completely divide the community, but IMO for some people it could be an easy way to dismiss the opinions of those who have not paid to support the forums...

Reasonable people will automatically dismiss opinions based on that way of thinking...

I love that animation. For some reason it reminds me of Donkey Kong Country 2. :lol:

I agree that Muggie's coin is heaps better that mine but I' not sure weather animated ones would be too prominent on a page?

chip_20x20.gifcoin-anim3ozk_20x20.gif

(my chip for hardware devs)(fusionpower's coin scalled to 20x20)

Contribution icon discussion Here

I think we should have "levels".

Kind of like the geek-code, but with icons. For example, I've only ported one app - others have ported more. Some porters are god-like and make high quality software for the Pandora, where others just hit the compile button and bundle the result in a .pnd. What about those of us that have been around since the Craiginator days on GP32X? A "long service" medal or somesuch comes to mind.

D.

Animated coins looks great for the first couple of seconds. If it's going to rotate and blink next to every forum post I'll ad-block it immediately.

Back