Doom For Blu+

Actually the screen shearing seems to just be a blu+ motion thing.

It happens in BOR when the backround is moving quickly also.
Doh, stupid blu+.

Thanks for fixing the Doom port, I wouldn't worry about the shearing, probably unfixable.

mth411

the sheering might be to do with the increased frame rate... will have to look into it.... also the saves are not working again. urgh.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

PWADs as Alien Vendetta and Eternal Doom III are truly beautiful with this build of GP Doom. :)

I noticed 2 others things that would be great to correct if you can : put the possibility to go directly at the level 31 and 32 instead of only 30.

Some textures are not animated on the GP32 whereas they are on the original Doom.

Anyway wonderful work Craig and Guyfawkes. ;)

dang, sweet release! Western WAD now runs smooth with music! Yay!

thanks for your efforts gufawkes and craig, I'm sure you gonna get those saves working, soon!

Guyfawkes posted on Feb 1 2005 at 01:06 PM said:
Bad news is that saving/loading game saves is broke since these new builds. The reason is almost certainly down to a compiler issue as Rob has a different compiler setup to me so I need to find out whats different and all should be working as normal again soon.
I wouldn't bet on it being a compiler issue. There's a serious problem with smc access on the gp32, but I think I may have come up with a solution. When I was adding streaming music support to Quake I was opening the music then keeping the file open and seeking to the next point. This caused all kinds of trouble, mostly involving crashes. I changed the code to open the file, read the next block of music, then close it again each time and the problem vanished. I then took this idea and modified the demo playback code (that also streams the data) and the demos started half working (there were problems when trying to go from a demo back to the menu or to start a game). I've just this minute applied the same idea to Quake's pak handling code (Quake keeps open the file pointers to pak files and I think Doom does the same thing) and now all my demo problems have stopped. I've not tested game loading and saving yet (have to rush back to work in a minute), but I'm hoping they may be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi!! :lol:
this is irrelevant to some extent, but i can't find a thread for this . <_<
so can someone please help me in figuring out why my doom keeps flashing!!!
it works fine after i start it up, by after i hit a barrel with the shot gun, the screen starts flahing or splits into a multiple of four small screens. i am afraid to open it again for fear of ruining my beloved blu. :(

i wish it was the batteries...but the batteries are new, well were...
i replaced it and it still does that....
me thinkies that there is a bug or something.... :(

When the screen glitches out and then splits up is the "split screen bug" and is common on many programs. The new version of doom (V10) is not supposed to have this bug, try that one.

Is there any word on the minor bug fixes yet? It's an amazing program, and I play it constantly. Just hoping to see the Save/Load option working soon :)

Oh and this is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to have the real Doom II and Goldeneye Doom on the same SMC? I tried renaming GED, but it won't load at all. Am I doing something wrong? (haha, thank goodness I have that 16mb SMC to put it on in the meantime)

Thanks everyone,
~SickPunk

Some minor bugfixes are done, but not really worth releasing a new build just yet. I spoke to Rob yesterday about the save/load problem and sent him my sources, unfortunately it still crashed on his compile so he is going to look into it over the next few days. Hopefully it will be fixed soon one way or another.

If your interested heres a list of some bugfixes for the next release:

- Fixed Nightmare difficulty bug and related input problems. Nightmare difficulty can now be played.
- Fixed canceling Quit (or any other Yes/No confirmation screen) and returning to game and B is not working.
- Fixed skip to level 31 and 32 select bug for DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD
- Redone the menus a bit, theres a lot more space for other settings in future
- First time Doom is run it will default to 'Original GP32' type as these are more common than BLU+. Simply change this setting to BLU+ if you have one.

Outstanding known problems are:

- save/load crashes gp32
- weapon change movement bug
- fullscreen not flashing red when hit etc
- gamma fix for blu/blu+
- tearing on blu+

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it all working. Thanks very much for all your hard work.

G189 posted on Feb 9 2005 at 08:36 PM said:
Excellent, I'm looking forward to it all working. Thanks very much for all your hard work.
Same here, this is the ultimate program that all must have :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to sound stupid but I am new to this and I just got my GP32. I am not sure if it is a Blu or a Blu+, what is the difference between the two?

Back