Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

Well what about us kids (i'm probably the only one, and more a teen than a kid, but still too young) who don't have a paypal account or credit card and want to donate but can't? :(

Great to see such support! This makes me really happy. The beta will be sent out in about 8 to 12 hours or less. So far everyone who's requested to be in the beta has made it.

Donators in the beta so far:
GunPei2X
shinneri
Senor Quack
daclassicgamingmaster
Hilary Cheng
Auritribe
icurafu
wiseguy109

If you're a donator and have requested to be in the private beta but aren't on the list let me know and I'll be sure to add you. :)

karmax75 posted on Mar 7 2007 at 10:19 PM said:
Well what about us kids (i'm probably the only one, and more a teen than a kid, but still too young) who don't have a paypal account or credit card and want to donate but can't? :(
You either wait a week or steal a credit card. ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
karmax75: Good point. I didn't think about that. :( ...There's people who have donated to me for projects such as psx4gp2x that never got a final version, and I'd like to return the favor to them, and this is the idea I had. I'll try to figure something out for those who aren't able to donate for one reason or another.

I've been wondering why it's possible that gpSP may end up doing a more capable job than the SNES emulators.

To me it seems that the GBA hardware is a "superset" of the SNES. After all, this is why GBA emulators such as the *GBA* version of PocketSNES even exist. Given that, I would have thought it would have been many times more difficult to emulate a GBA then a SNES.

Now given that the SNES has a fairly easy to emulate CPU (is this true?) and the GBA has a considerably more substantial CPU, is it also true to say that the dynarec, to a degree compensates for this disparity?
So what's left to emulatre? Graphics hardware and sound.

In terms of graphics and my previous argument, I would have thought that the GBA would have been more difficult to emulate than the SNES? :blink:

I'm not sure what the comparitive differences are in terms of sound. I know the SNES has a seperate CPU to handle this, whereas the GBA does not.

Is it because the GBA is a "cleaner" machine to emulate? Less special cases to handle?

Can anyone enlighten me?

I donated $15 so you can buy the $5 Dominoes pizza deal, so when you think of $15 think of dominoes pizza. I will PM you my email, just make sure you put something in the subject line that wont cause me to delete it. Love your work Zod, everyone else feel free to flame me for donating at the last minute, atleast Zod is eating pizza.

Avoid_the_Noid_-_EGA.gif

Hes an old dominoes pizza mascot. My ex use to love his cartoon-show

slaanesh: I think it comes down to the emulator's author and their commitment. With SNES, nobody's had the time and extreme effort to write an emulator from scratch with a portable/performance mindset. If they did, it may land up coming out much cleaner than existing SNES emulators. Though I'm not sure. Most developers, including me, take existing emulators and port them to handhelds and *then* optimize. With the GBA I got lucky and found Exophase who wrote gpSP from the ground up with handhelds and performance in mind. I was then able to take his well written GBA emulator and port it with fair ease to the GP2X. More performance was needed over the interpreter, so I wrote the dynarec (huge pain in the arse to do!) and with Exophase's help came along far enough to get a good GBA emulator out. Compare this to VBA which, although very accurate in emulation, just doesn't have the performance needed for handhelds, it had x86 Windows in mind.

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:26 AM said:
There's people who have donated to me for projects such as psx4gp2x that never got a final version, and I'd like to return the favor to them, and this is the idea I had. I'll try to figure something out for those who aren't able to donate for one reason or another.
No need to feel guilty or anything about that, Zod! You did awesome work (and put in many, many hours) on psx4gp2x. I'm sure everyone will agree you deserved the donations just for that. And I personally still believe we could have fully playable PSX on GP2X some day. :)

But until then, I'm very happy with OpenTTD and gpSP. :D

A new OpenTTD is in the works as well. No more viewport or weird scaling this time around. :)

yay :)
Im waiting for a improved ttd versions sine you first released it, ttd is one of my all time favourites.

I donated $10 when gpsp was first ported. Can you please add me to your list?

ah crao... this is what I get for being cheap. I never donated to anyone as of yet!!! Oh well... I will have to put up with waiting for the public release ^^

I hope you guys post some detailled testing results! Cheers zodttd! I am excited now ;-)

Auritribe posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:34 PM said:
By the way, you use Ubuntu, maybe you could tell me. Why wont rhythmbox play mp3s? I've tried installing gstreamer or whatever, I've installed all the plug in packages, and yet edgy eft still rhythmbox still wont 'find the plugins' I dont get it :(

You dont have to answer if ya dont want to, but if you know it off the top of your head let me know ^^;; no biggie, I know this isn't tech support.

I don't know if this was targeted at just zodttd. but, I had the same problem. I'd just install XMMS or Audacity, I think they install the codec as a dependancy, or something.

I donated $5, I think, back when you were doing the dynarec for Psx4all.

Would be great to be on the beta, but bear in mind that I'm unlikely to be able to report back with much game data before I go to France, which, if the planned full release is in a week, might mean I'd not actually get a chance to add to any reports. Email is my username + googlemail.com .

Heh, I donated some cash to exophase so he could get a gp2x and work on GPSP but I guess that doesnt qualify me....

but just in case I am very interested. ;)

Iorgy77 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 10:05 AM said:
Heh, I donated some cash to exophase so he could get a gp2x and work on GPSP but I guess that doesnt qualify me....
That wouldn't seem particularly fair, given that it's exophase's emulator.

Back