Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

At 266 I'm finding most games running slow and very choppy sound.
Best game I've found so far is Metroid Fusion which is only a little slow with passable sound.

Only bug I've found so far is for "0613 - Lord of the Rings, The - The Fellowship of the Ring (US)
Which is fine until you click on newgame then all the graphics are corrupted.

Haven't tested any of the optimised games yet so I'm looking foward to those :)

Coming from someone who's tried the release, I can assure you its not ready for prime time just yet. I think it is incredible for what's arguably the first release of this emulator (despite the past releases). However, the sound glitch that affects almost every single game is gonna turn alot of people off initially.

Give it time. Considering that the sound problem affects almost every game I'm sure Zod has put it at the top of his priority list. Almost willing to bet that it's that's what's keeping him from releasing it into the wild.

Give it time, and try not to salivate too much :3

Godmil posted on Mar 9 2007 at 11:01 AM said:
At 266 I'm finding most games running slow and very choppy sound.

Is the MMU hack working correctly? See zodttd's previous post.

And.. PayPal is working again now, I was able to donate $20 earlier today

Last edited by a moderator:
The thought of MMU problems had occured to me, but I dont have the slow loading issue mentioned and some games seem almost fullspeed.

Pete posted on Mar 9 2007 at 09:41 AM said:
Hi, I would like to know if this new version of gpSP its much metter and faster than the last release ( GPsp 08 gp2x r3 ).

thks!

No faster, but it does as it says, it fixes the palette glitch, which was in a lot of games.

If nothing else it looks alot more accurate now 8)

Auritribe posted on Mar 9 2007 at 02:20 PM said:
Hi, I would like to know if this new version of gpSP its much metter and faster than the last release ( GPsp 08 gp2x r3 ).

thks!

No faster, but it does as it says, it fixes the palette glitch, which was in a lot of games.

I think you misread! It is faster then the 08 release, thanks to the dynarec. A few videos are on the way.
I can't show fps since there doesb't seem to be an option.

Some suggestions: The config files and savs should have their own directories IMO, the rom directory is getting rather untidy currently.
I don't like the current CPU setting (Having CPU_SPEED as part of the emulator) I'd rather just set it in gmenu, but preferably it would be better to have a config menu to set the cpuspeed on a per game basis.
And an fps display might be handy :)

EDIT: Videos! I try using the unscaled mode but it seemed too squashed vertically... these are all scaled 3:2.
Metroid Zero Mission (U)
Super Mario Advance (U)
Pokémon Fire Red (U)

Auritribe posted on Mar 9 2007 at 03:20 PM said:

thks!

Hey, I think he meant the last version of the interpreter.. And yes, its much faster...!

Nice release! I've had pretty much the same issues everyone has--stuttering sound but greatly improved gameplay speed. I tested Lunar Legend, Scurge: Hive, FFI&II, Iridion 3D, and Tales of Phantasia.

Speech in Tales of Phantasia seems to REALLY slow things down. And the intro's speech sounds lower than it should.

Iridion 3D's music is completely messed up.

Everything else I tested plays fine outside of the stuttering. :)

One other thing I noticed is when going from one game to the next, sound from the previous game sometimes continues after loading the first one.

cowai posted on Mar 9 2007 at 02:52 PM said:
Auritribe posted on Mar 9 2007 at 03:20 PM said:

thks!

Hey, I think he meant the last version of the interpreter.. And yes, its much faster...!
Yeah, sorry, I misread. It's much faster than .9002? I guess I wasn't paying attention ^^;;

Castle Vania Circle of The Moon at 266Mhz v9003b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbWM2Tw4FjI

theres a 2-3 sound delay and it gargles at the begginging.

Well, the new beta is looking great. Still speed/sound issues as before, but iirc this isn't the point of this one - what's really good news is that the palette problems are pretty much gone!

Zelda Minish Cap looks and runs great at 200mhz. Outrun on the Sega Arcade Classics pack looks better, but still.... well, wrong in some way. I'll have a look at it in VBA...

<looks>

yep, the road "stripes" aren't displaying properly - just a blank expanse most noticeable to the left and right of the road. This is more than likely nothing to do with the previous (now fixed) palette problem.

D.

Cervante posted on Mar 9 2007 at 07:15 AM said:

I think you need to fix whatever is wrong with your camera, or conversion/upload process, it isn't possible to learn much about the emulator because the video is all jacked up, very jerky and annoying.

I don't like cpuspeed integrated, I might once I go read up on it and find craigix's timings so I can set them manually, as-is I can't figure it out right now. If you plan to leave it (even as an option), I suggest throwing in the readme for cpuspeed and some generic settings and also craigix's settings.

I am going to go read up on the cpuspeed program now. Also all the roms seem to be acting really weird today, AKA crashing and locking up. Don't get excited, it could be that my SD has crapped out, or that my cpuspeed settings are wrong. I will also delete all the cfg files in the rom dir and see if that was the problem.

It is working again. I did a complete re-install, wiped the entire gpsp dir and unzipped all roms and 9003b again. Re-downloaded bios and checked md5.

All my games are working great except The Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past (U)(Mode7) white screen hang with this displayed: bad jump dc034e24 (200003a) (will get different rom and try it.) (bad rom, (E)(CEZAR) rom does work)

NFS Porsche unleashed is faster, NFS carbon is still half-speed, even with sound off and frameskip manual 2/3/4 and auto @250mhz.

Ok, this is a bit weird.

I've been using v9003b and test with 260MHz OC, and I can play nearly all games I throw at it with ease. I'm wondering if those expierencing slowness with 9003b (which is faster than all previous releases) are really overclocking.

*** TO SET THE OVERCLOCK YOU MUST PRESS *SELECT* ***
*** IF YOU PRESS START IT WILL ***NOT*** OVERCLOCK ***

Also, if you overclock too far, you will notice slower than normal execution, probably due to some sort of error correction going on, though I'm not sure.

PLEASE USE THE LATEST VERSION.

*** THE AUDIO BUFFER IS VERY IMPORTANT IN TERMS OF PERFORMANCE ***

My default audio buffer for v9003b is 512, but some games might prefer different settings...

*** TO CHANGE THE AUDIO BUFFER SETTING, AFTER IT IS SET YOU *MUST* EXIT gpSP AND RUN IT AGAIN FOR THE NEW SETTING TO TAKE EFFECT ***

If you are running v9003b just as I have it in the zip and just add the bios and roms, at a hefty overclock of 260MHz I can play all Super Mario games without any stutter/jittery music. It plays great. The only difference is SOMETIMES in some games it prefers a manual frameskip of 1.

If you use the above techniques and are still having performance problems please let me know. Something is defintely different between my results since I am able to play some of the games shown above at much better speeds.

nubie posted on Mar 9 2007 at 12:41 PM said:
Cervante posted on Mar 9 2007 at 07:15 AM said:

I think you need to fix whatever is wrong with your camera, or conversion/upload process, it isn't possible to learn much about the emulator because the video is all jacked up, very jerky and annoying.

Ill purchased a PCI capture card next week.

I have definately been overclocking when I took those videos... some frames may have been dropped during encoding, not sure. All the videos were captured at 240MHz all other settings were left alone and this was with v0.9003b. Admittedly I haven't added optimised RAM timings, since I can't remember the numbers :S

PokeParadox: I saw you're earlier videos and they were on par with what I got with the versions you used. Have you made v9003b videos? I'd like to see some of Super Mario Bros if possible, just to get a comparison. I'm wondering why some get better performance than others. It may very well be bad rom dumps or different region roms. I usually use US roms, as they will run MUCH faster usually than EU/JP roms on gpSP2X.

The legendary Squidge got me up to speed on how to use the MMU patch. It may be implemented wrong the way I currently have it, so I'm going to see if I can make things faster. I'm using Firmware 3.0 so it may be that the MMU patch is working for me but not others as well.

Any beta testers using FW 3.0 ? If not, it could be the difference.

I'll definitely check into this now as it makes a big difference when using HW SDL.

Back