[gpsp] Exophase Has Done It Again! Incredible!

What does this really mean? Has Exophase written a new dynarec? or did he just rewrite it? I have read his blog and very confused...

Anyways, Exophase and zodttd are like godsent... I remember Zodttd coming from the zodiac scene (?). And now Exophase coming from the psp scene!

Awsome work!

ps: This scene needs more team work, I think. For example: Having two different SNES emus are in theory very stupid. Resources could have been spread more and we could all get a better product? But, all in all, its all up to the individual coder...

It means he has improved the existing one. At first, it will have been written just to get the job done, but not necessarily with performance in mind. Now that the concept has been proved, the focus has moved on to making it work as efficiently as possible by rewriting chunks of the code.

From speaking to Exophase I believe he rewrote the dynarec but used some of my concepts and means of getting things done. I did the grunt work and got it up and running, and made it accessible to Exophase to improve upon my work. Since we work together on this, there's no hard feelings having my dynarec rewritten Especially when it was my intent to have him eventually rewrite it. Sooner was better than later in this case. He was being careful with his wording about this on his blog since I dont.think he knew at the time if it would hurt feelings. ;)

Short answer: He used information from my dynarec to get the groundwork up for his rewritten and improved dynarec. And we're both in agreement over it that this was the best route to go with development. :)

holy crap zod! that is amazing. Exophase and you are masters of the art. Even when 9005 went public I thought "wow, this can't get better." I was certainly proven wrong over and over again...

zodttd posted on Mar 26 2007 at 04:47 AM said:
Hi everyone,
I think DaveC will be happy as will many others when this goes public!
Fantastic news Zodd and exo! :)

(watch out though i dont think DaveC's 2x clocks that high)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to zodttd and Exophase on their excellent work - it's just great what can happen when people with talent work cooperatively! :) I've been watching this project progress with some interest, and I look forward to seeing what happens over the next couple of weeks. Very exciting!

Amazing. Just amazing. Any chance I could get you to try Wing Commander Prophecy too, seeing as it's currently among the slowest games I've tried in GPsp (9008 gives 12fps for anything involving a 3D object)?

Off to read Exophase's blog... can't wait til next week!

If I had a wish, it would be to test Tactics Ogre - Knights of Lodis, to see if that could speed up a bit. In case you're all out of things to test for :)

Apart from that, I'm just dumbstruck by your collective awesomeness :eek: :D

Julius posted on Mar 26 2007 at 01:48 PM said:
Now if exophase next project was to optimise the PSX dynarec....

:)

Great work!!!
He still wouldn't achieve anything worth playing....it's just not possible. This is ARM --> ARM.

Heh, it looks like zodttd blew my cover.. I was wondering why people were suddenly posting in the blog. I think the improvements are probably not as good across the board as he makes them out to be, but I also still have a lot more things to do.. if you look at my checklist from the last blog post I've completed up to step 4.

What I'm really happy about is that doing this has helped me to fix a bug in the other versions that has been plaguing me for months. Since I'm using the GP2X's ARM to natively calculate flags it gives guaranteed accurate results, and since the dynarecs (the PC version and the GP2X version are what I test against each other) are synchronized I can fairly easily/quickly determine where the two differentiate from each other and find out what's wrong. Turned out that I wasn't calculating the C flag for the SBC operation correctly.

This fixes FF6, the single largest compatability concern I had at the moment (and the one game everyone wanted working). I think it saved me several, maybe dozens of hours of debugging work. This is good news for anyone who's bitter about me focusing on the GP2X version instead of the core/PSP version right now ;)

zodttd posted on Mar 26 2007 at 05:26 AM said:
At 240MHz Metroid Fusion ran at 53 FPS well into the first level until I stopped testing it.
Please test my Metroid Fusion Savegame. I had made it at one of these later, FPS critical Areas and it's not even the slowest area. (Full-Water areas or full heat areas are a FPS Nightmare! ^^ ) Play around and take a look at your FPS and listen to the Sound... ;)

My Settings: 266MHz, Fast RAM-Timings, manuel FS 1
FPS: 15-25, crappy sound. ^^

http://rapidshare.com/files/22870439/0690_...n__U_4.rar.html

P.S.: Sorry for Rapidshare ^^""""

zodttd posted on Mar 26 2007 at 03:47 AM said:
I am currently playing Sonic Advance 2 with frameskip turned off and sound turned on at 260MHz and I'm getting a steady 60 FPS. I think DaveC will be happy as will many others when this goes public! A lot of work has gone into this dynarec from Exophase and myself, so I strongly encourage you to give Exophase some appreciatation by at very least visiting his blog linked in my signature!

Well that is pretty good, improvements of any kind are great. As far as me being happy well kind of but I can't go to 260 MHz ;) 240 is tops. Others with L337 GP2Xs that go to 260 and don't mind 15 min. battery life will be happier :p Still good news though, thanks Exophase for the great work :)

Does this release fix the stuttery sound?

Stuttery sound was already fixed, the cause of stuttery sound in .9008 was the autoframeskip 4, putting it to manual would fix that.

Also, from Exophase's blog :p
(well, I only have about 9 days as allotted by zodttd, maybe he'll give me an extension if I need it and have shown good progress though).

zodttd posted on Mar 26 2007 at 01:38 AM said:
Tag team :p

Skeezix lives! He lives! Thanks for the compliment, and good to see you around here. ;P

Oh, I'm always around, but having just spawned a baby, very busy and underslept :)

Too many friends here to ignore the place, and I'm still plodding along doing my works. Just spending my free time (!!) vegging instead of coding right now, as I'm still in the 'surviving the baby' phase :p

jeff

Draken posted on Mar 26 2007 at 02:22 PM said:
Stuttery sound was already fixed, the cause of stuttery sound in .9008 was the autoframeskip 4, putting it to manual would fix that.

Also, from Exophase's blog :p
(well, I only have about 9 days as allotted by zodttd, maybe he'll give me an extension if I need it and have shown good progress though).

I have tried everything to eliminate the stuttery sound in .9008. If I put the frameskip that high it would be unplayably choppy at 240 MHz though.

Why would Zod' only give him 9 days? I would think things like this can't be rushed. I would think Exophase should have as much time as he needs to get it the way he wants it and is happy with it. Kind of odd.

Odd, games like Metroid and Zelda: Minish Cap work fine for me at 200mhz with manual frameskip 2 with perfect normal sound. (unless there's too much action on the screen, obviously)

As far as I know it was really the autoframeskip that caused the stuttery sound.

Also: apparantly ZodTTD and Exophase agreed on a 2 week period in which Exophase would work on improving Zod's original dynarec. I guess it was meant as a joke that he has only 9 days left.

DaveC posted on Mar 26 2007 at 04:36 PM said:
I have tried everything to eliminate the stuttery sound in .9008. If I put the frameskip that high it would be unplayably choppy at 240 MHz though.

Manual FS2 works fine for me at 240Mhz. Have you tried overclocking using the gpmenu2x application setting? I'm almost certain that you're only really running it at 200Mhz, because I had the same problems.

Try knocking it down to '150Mhz' to see if it runs the same?

Back