Have The Moulds Been Ordered? If So, When?

lingenfr

This was kicked around in another thread, but no answer.

Have the moulds been ordered?

If so, when?

If not, when will they be ordered?

Not all of them, we are still tweaking the hinge area to prevent any possible snaps. The rest is done though.

This isn't a big deal as the order for that can progress as the MP boards roll off the line and are tested.

Testing the boards is a bigger deal.

I should add in that it's such a big deal as this is one of the most advanced portable devices ever made, and it isn't Sony or Nintendo, it's us. So after all the work these tests must be as near to flawless as possible.

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 02:20 PM said:
I should add in that it's such a big deal as this is one of the most advanced portable devices ever made, and it isn't Sony or Nintendo, it's us. So after all the work these tests must be as near to flawless as possible.
I hope, there is something like a good "PCB-designing-Software" that helps to make such a board nearly free of errors. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The board is free of errors, it's the actual manufacture and population we are testing. This is something which takes any factory some trial and error to get right in mass production, especially for a board this complex.

I suppose that I (and probably others) have focused on the moulds as the timeline states 30-35 days from order. So the moulds seemed like the long pole in the tent.

A smaller part can take less time, but it's the boards which we want done, putting the case on them is pretty easy in comparison.

Apart from the hinge, disassemblers won't like that part!

Thanks for the updates, Craig. Even small updates, I think, help keep the (sometimes angry) masses appeased. Glad you all are playing it safe with all the testing -- I must admit, that was a hesitation of mine before I pre-ordered (QC). Can't wait! :)

Nice updates Craig. The fact that the PAndora isnt out yet isnt the worst thing ever, games keep getting ported over the Padnora, and we will have a large libary of games once the Pandora is out.

Based on this, I'm not optimistic but regardless, I appreciate the update. I was hoping for a definitive answer of yes/no the moulds have been ordered but I suppose with a project like this it is never that simple. The rolled conducter tape in the hinge concerned me so I am reassured that they are paying special attention to the hinge. Hopefully soon we will get a definitive answer that all that moulds for all the parts have been ordered. When I hear what appears to be an iterative process of board testing and remember the multi-stop shipping issues, it leads me to believe that July is probably off the table, but regardless I am glad to know of the progress.

Would it be possible to put a finer point on what is left hanging right now? Has everything been ordered except the piece attached to the hinge and the final order for the boards? Are there other pieces that haven't yet been placed as a final order? How long do you estimate it will be until it ships? Thanks for the updates so far, and good luck getting this stuff done!

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 01:20 PM said:
Not all of them, we are still tweaking the hinge area to prevent any possible snaps. The rest is done though.

This isn't a big deal as the order for that can progress as the MP boards roll off the line and are tested.

Testing the boards is a bigger deal.

Well at least i'll have my new camera and a couple of photoshoots to keep me busy in the interim.

btw Craig if you would like some product shots of the final unit for promotion etc... let me know, would gladly make my contribution to the project. Would be nice to get bumped up the queue If I do though ;) hehe

Oh, I forgot, DaveC is adjusting the Dpad too, it needs a bigger pivot as the current 'sink depth' is a mm or so too far, this change should stop what I used to call 'Crazy Taxi Thumb', ie after a couple of hours your thumb starts to hurt.

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 05:00 PM said:
Oh, I forgot, DaveC is adjusting the Dpad too, it needs a bigger pivot as the current 'sink depth' is a mm or so too far, this change should stop what I used to call 'Crazy Taxi Thumb', ie after a couple of hours your thumb starts to hurt.
ah see now this is the kind of attention to detail i like. it does frustrate me when people get all "oh no, its been so long its not relevant anymore" because a) thats rubbish anyway, for all the time it is functional it will be relevant and B) the more its rushed out the more little things like this will go unresolved.

on the subject of relevancy, i do find it strange how people view the shelf life of things. i mean, there has got to be people out there still playing their classic game boys, their spectrums, their ataris, etc. technology doesnt die, we just have MORE technology. things only lose relevance if you decide to ignore them. so long as people have the skills out their to program and hack around, especially on a machine as versatile as the pandora will be, it will always be relevant.

btw this is a bit off tangent and not actually targetted at anyone, i just remember it being mentioned before. its saturday, im bored and should be outside. probably good to vent before i get out though!

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 12:00 PM said:
after a couple of hours your thumb starts to hurt.
That's the sign that you should take a break. Remove that, and people will be forced to play their games for hours and hours on end! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

RenegadeChic posted on May 23 2009 at 04:47 PM said:
technology doesnt die
You're obviously not an Xbox 360 owner then :D

Asmo posted on May 23 2009 at 07:09 PM said:
technology doesnt die
Or he owns a new Xbox 360 , just like me. Those Xboxes doent die (or mine still has to die, but its already half a year old, so I hope it wont die)

Mithrildor posted on May 23 2009 at 06:49 PM said:
Asmo posted on May 23 2009 at 07:09 PM said:
technology doesnt die
Or he owns a new Xbox 360 , just like me. Those Xboxes doent die (or mine still has to die, but its already half a year old, so I hope it wont die)

sadly i dont have any of the latest generation of consoles. i have a Game Cube and a Gameboy Colour. if i was going to go for any of them though it would probably be a PS3. i am not as keen on the controller (i love the game cube controller and the 360 one is pretty nice too) but i arbitrarily prefer the system. the most likely systems for me to get any time soon though are a PS2 and a Dreamcast as i somewhat inherited about 50 or so games across those systems!

Mithrildor posted on May 23 2009 at 06:49 PM) [quote="Asmo posted on May 23 2009 at 07:09 PM said:
technology doesnt die
Or he owns a new Xbox 360 , just like me. Those Xboxes doent die (or mine still has to die, but its already half a year old, so I hope it wont die"]
[/quote]Yeah but you can't beat the old Xbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAz0LSaGfg...feature=related

I just came across that video randomly, i'm watching it now and laughing like an idiot. :D
I dropped mine down three flights of stairs onto a hard floor and apart from some scuffs it still worked!

Back