Release New Pandora Video

'ashdjones' said:
Also, Craig sounds bloody posh for a guy living in Newcastle! Where are you from?
Yep, nothing like the geordies I have to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
'borgqueenx' said:
best video so far :D i love the design of the media player. if i see the screen like that, i think....wtf is that a HD screen? but that cant be :p
i dont understand HD
it should take into account screensize

'borgqueenx' said:
HD=high defenition. or something like that.
You aren't understanding what he means by not understanding it ;).

I am not going to explain it to you. Think about it for a while.

Where is evildragons new video with a new emulator, coming soon i hope :D

'antheus123' said:
Where is evildragons new video with a new emulator, coming soon i hope :D
He was waiting for DJWillis to point him to some Matchbox files before he could demo. That was the last I heard.

'Peter R' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
You aren't understanding what he means by not understanding it ;).

I am not going to explain it to you. Think about it for a while.

Hahaha, wait see if he'll get it.

'borgqueenx' said:
i meant HD is one large marketing scam and has little relevance to do with picture quality, which many believe it does

ie i could pay couple of thousand for a 50" inch HD (1080i) tv and a 22" inch HD (1080i) for 100 quid [has anyone seen a 1080p 22" ?]

while the 22" should produce a 'sharper' image than 50", the 50" is alot more expensive even though the pixels are larger, and so many believe should cost less.

The HD specification should take into consideration

horizontal pixels/width of screen >= x
vertical pixels/height of screen >= x

anyway this is just speculation, something may be inaccurate such as the smaller the pixel the larger the production cost

another case of supply and demand

'emcp' said:
''borgqueenx'' said:
i meant HD is one large marketing scam and has little relevance to do with picture quality, which many believe it does

ie i could pay couple of thousand for a 50" inch HD (1080i) tv and a 22" inch HD (1080i) for 100 quid [has anyone seen a 1080p 22" ?]

while the 22" should produce a ''sharper'' image than 50", the 50" is alot more expensive even though the pixels are larger, and so many believe should cost less.

The HD specification should take into consideration

horizontal pixels/width of screen >= x
vertical pixels/height of screen >= x

anyway this is just speculation, something may be inaccurate such as the smaller the pixel the larger the production cost

another case of supply and demand

Well, HD is all about resolution so you would have a perceived lower quality with a bigger screen compared to a smaller screen. However, viewing distance is also important. If you are really close to a small screen you will get the same low quality. Another way to look at this is that a higher resolution allows you to have a larger screen without loosing the sharpness of your SD screen. Also HD allows for more details, such as hair, texture or fur, to be more visible.

OMG you all fail. Hard.

He's saying that HD shouldn't be about resolution, it should all be relative. (I guess he's saying it should be about dot pitch, more or less.) It shouldn't matter where you sit relative to the screen, if it's considered HD, it should be able to display a certain amount of detail in the provided space. The larger the screen, the more total detail, but the same amount of detail in a 4" square (or something like that). That's his point, and it's a very valid one.

'emcp' said:

while the 22" should produce a ''''''''''''''''sharper'''''''''''''''' image than 50", the 50" is alot more expensive even though the pixels are larger, and so many believe should cost less.

First, 1080p is enough resolution for a 110" screen at 8 feet away. Second, only blu-ray and rendered material will feed these displays 1080p stuff. UHD standard is being produced, but the storage medium and throughput needed to feed that type of display would be costly. The only thing worth it in the beginning would be rendered material and even than look at this generation of consoles. The most they are doing is 720p. And the case with the 360 is that its getting upconverted to 1080p. You need a very fast gaming rig to get decent FPS at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on. Just because it would be possible to have the resolution relative to size, it doesn't help when the current HD medium can just barely cover 1080p.

Ultimately, buying a 720p 42" panel is just as good as a 1080p 42" panel (provided the features are the same) if you are sitting 8 feet away from it.

Also I bought a Samsung 26" 1920x1200 Panel for $470 USD. Is that VAT that is jacking the price up?

So, the video. It's cool. I assume from the Winamp-like UI that it's XMMS there?
Cool...
I'm using Rhythmbox, I wonder if xmms would be better.

'Phawx' said:
Ultimately, buying a 720p 42" panel is just as good as a 1080p 42" panel (provided the features are the same) if you are sitting 8 feet away from it.
I have to disagree here. The difference is not obvious if you only watch videos or play games, but in desktop use there's a big difference. I have a 42" 1080p screen hooked up to my media center pc (mythtv+xbmc), and I sometimes use it as a desktop computer from a distance of ~2.5m (about 8 feet?). When compared to similar systems with comparable screen size and 720p resolution the difference is clear.

Did anyone else find Craig's voice rather hypnotic? I watched the video at work and almost fell asleep. But other than that this is the proper kick for all of those who considered Pandora a fake :)

'lulzfish' said:
So, the video. It's cool. I assume from the Winamp-like UI that it's XMMS there?
Cool...
I'm using Rhythmbox, I wonder if xmms would be better.
I hate XMMS but it's very light on resources in comparison to the Gnome/KDE media players.

Back