DragonBox Z

DragonBox Crystal

DragonBox Ayora

DragonBox Iris

DragonBox Flash

DragonBox Z ...remaind me something... :p

but what you think about...

DragonBox Zed  ?

DragonBox is the name of the company/shop, Z+ED (ED is Michael..)

In my opinion, Dragonbox sounds too 'nerdy' in a bad way, it also sounds like a Toys R Us toy. "Pandora" was a really simple word with yet so much meaning, DragonBox to me sounds like a badly stitched together word for a handheld system. It gets worse by adding a cryptic term after it like "Myridon" (horrible pronounciation!). Pandora in contrast was a word that everybody heard already and is easily being said and is thus easy to memorize.

In other words, say you have a Dragonbox to a girl and she'll probably turn somewhere else :p

Personally, I would prefer the name to be "Pangea", even though the suggestion might be in vain now.

Reasons:

- The word is close to Pandora and thus shows that it is a successor

- It means a supercontinent: the community contributes from all over the world, i.e. all continents work together (well, on the software part)

- It detaches the connection between EvilDragon - Dragonbox, instead emphasizing the community part. To me, Dragonbox sounds like EvilDragon's device, while technically true, it's probably nicer to emphasize the community instead of one man on the device itself. To an outsider, it might seem too arrogant to connect the name of the device to the name of the inventor.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ if a guy told a girl he had a Dragonbox, I'm guessing she might take that a totally different way than the way your thinking. :p

To me, Dragonbox sounds like EvilDragon's device, while technically true, it's probably nicer to emphasize the community instead of one man on the device itself. To an outsider, it might seem too arrogant to connect the name of the device to the name of the inventor.
Allow me to disagree. The P2 *is* ED device based on community input. But that's where the community part stop. The community isnt part of the team. None of us have looked for quote on parts. None of us have invested money into it. None of us have taken a single risk. Beside ED and his investors, that is.As the only one risking anything here, he is free to name the device the way he wants. Using his shop as base name sound about right in that respect...

EvilBox also sounds interesting (and has a clear connection to Pandora, since she opened a box full of evils)... although maybe it sounds a bit too, uh, evil.

EvilBox Dragora

EvilBox Myriad/Miriad

EvilBox Myridon

EvilBox Pandragon

EvilBox Pyragon

EvilBox DragonFly

EvilBox Pyrrha

EvilBox Pyra

DROX

A merge of the two DRagonbOX

But I see it already exists as a game, DROX Operative

EvilBox also sounds interesting (and has a clear connection to Pandora, since she opened a box full of evils)... although maybe it sounds a bit too, uh, evil.

EvilBox Dragora

EvilBox Myriad/Miriad

EvilBox Myridon

EvilBox Pandragon

EvilBox Pyragon

EvilBox DragonFly

EvilBox Pyrrha

EvilBox Pyra
MMmmm... if it's going to be an EvilBox, then it can't be all flowers and prettiness on the back end.

EvilBox White (Conquest)

EvilBox Red (War)

EvilBox Black (Famine)

EvilBox Pale (Death)

EvilBox (Insert Demon Name Here)

EvilBox (Insert name of someone convicted of war crimes here)

OK, so maybe this post is in the wrong thread - none of these are remotely practical.

I should do something to redeem this for this thread.

From a marketing perspective... Make 2 cases. Put the same components in them.

Deep burnish reddish black.

Silvery titanium white.

Call them the DragonBox GoodBox and the DragonBox EvilBox. Or maybe just DragonBox Good and DragonBox Evil?

Make the logo a pair of dragons (reddish black and silvery white) twisted around each other.

Oh - and have 2 strings of serial numbers. Auction the first 25 of each as matched pairs. I wonder what the pair of consoles with G0000001 and E0000001 would sell for?

The community isnt part of the team. None of us have looked for quote on parts. None of us have invested money into it. None of us have taken a single risk. Beside ED and his investors, that is.
Yeah, it's a good reminder that it's not a community project, and design is not democratic. It's nice enough ED is asking for a lot of feedback, but I hope he takes it and does what he wants with it and does not go necessarily with what 51% of folks want everytime. When you follow democratic process for cooking, you end up with pasta everyday, and I don't want the Pandora successor to be dull.

EvilBox Dragora

EvilBox Myriad/Miriad

EvilBox Myridon

EvilBox Pandragon

EvilBox Pyragon

EvilBox DragonFly

EvilBox Pyrrha

EvilBox Pyra
I remeber from these boards the word "devil" (= diabolically evil) scaring christians off. Will a letter short thereof will protect thereagainst?

Why not just DragonBox then DragonBox², DragonBox³ etc.

A box is already a 3-dimensional object. I wouldn't add more dimensions to it. Also, I'd prefer a name that can be written in plain ASCII, no special characters or superscripts.

DragonBox2 or DragonBox3 etc.

I was just meaning why have names when quite a few manufacturers just have numbers after their product name to signify the model in the range.

A box is already a 3-dimensional object. I wouldn't add more dimensions to it. Also, I'd prefer a name that can be written in plain ASCII, no special characters or superscripts.
Actually... Maybe that is exactly what should be done. We've had a lot of word play around the 'Dragon' in 'DragonBox'. What about the box?

The Pandora Successor has something in common with the Pandora. It's bigger on the inside. I.e. the capabilities, functions and capacity of the machine is far in excess of what a person would logically think could be contained within that little box.

DragonBox Tardis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

OK, maybe too English. Probably trademarked to hell and back.

4th dimensional box:

DragonBox Tesseract

(also known as a DragonBox HyperCube)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

For the Tesseract or HyperCube logo - make the lines thicker and remove the red dots from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:4-cube_t0.svg

Stare at that long enough and you will start to see things.

Interesting animation and decompile of a tesseract here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensional_space

And glad at least one person understands and voices that this is no community project. Somehow I expected it to be, despite seeing all the signs of the opposite. Clinging to the old magic I guess.

Yeah ED is nice enough to ask for a name, if it's not for a lack of a good idea anyway. I guess I changed my view, name it whatever you damn well please m8.

I will just print a few business cards with whatever the successors name is and wordlessly hand those out when asked what it is. Silently call it P2 when nobody's listening :p

What's your favourite, ED, or do you have a (new) idea of your own, sparing your pet from the half-assed and outright bad ones?

This is not a community project (just like the Pandora 1 was not a community project), it is ED's project, with a lot of community input. Input means the community can suggest things, discuss things, give arguments and counterarguments for potential design decisions, and so on. This subforum is full of such threads. Input does not mean that all decisions have to be made by means of a public forum poll. There should be a good balance between taking community input seriously, while not endlessly waiting for a complete community consensus to be reached, because that is probably impossible most of the time.

Total democracy doesn't work, just as total dictatorships doesn't work as well. everything needs a middle ground.

EDIT: Software wise the Pandora is a true community effort.. mostly driven by a core group of users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back