Post Here When Your Refund Clears

joa said:
I wonder which method they are using to refund, reason being... the money came out quickly enough, 10 days after email and it isn't back in yet. sorry if i'm repeating myself.

If i recieved notification that a refund had been processed i would usually wait 5 working days max, then complain. Money in limbo really is not good, especially in limbo for 10 or so days.
I don't get why people are concerned... it just mystifies me.

They have very clearly said that nobody will loose their place in the queue. They have said there is no hurry to re-pay (in fact you can't pay yet via cc only bank transfer). They have said that you only need to re-pay after the money clears.

So you aren't loosing anything by this delay. So why stress yourself (and those reading this and similar posts)?

Its also more than likely that banks make it much easier to accept payment quickly (and take their cut) than return money - especially when doing thousands at a time and you are between banks.

We need a collective chill pill. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not worried; I'm frustrated and sympathetic--frustrated because, well, I was hoping for a Pan earlier, and sympathetic because, well...

I once wrote a shareware game, and even with a one-person shop where I controlled everything, getting that out the door was a train wreck of last-minute changes with the publisher, last-minute bug fixes, people not getting me game levels on time, art disasters... and that was just a simple GAME.

These guys are creating a pretty incredible technical piece of hardware, with software support, with a very small team and without the backing of a major corporation, dealing with nightmares of production, late delivery of LCD panels, bank issues, Paypal issues...

And frankly they've been doing a great job of communicating everything, and even improving the device with the extra memory at the last minute, and even offering refunds if people want to back out.

You think WE'RE frustrated? These guys are living a nightmare. I have utmost respect for anyone trying to bring a new product to market even WITHOUT all these issues.

I'm not backing out for a second, and I'm not worried. I wish the refund had gotten here already because I'm eager to proceed with the order, but that's livable.

I agree with your comments Vputz. I still have not got a email or refund. but not worried have full faith in the team :).

I reckon Craig and team are doing great job keeping us informed. I'd rather the team get it right with my hardware then rush it out just cause some whinny people needed it sooner or they will demand a refund.

1 month from now peoples are we will start to see some handhelds I predit :)

The real fun will start when newer versions of emulators are released pretty much every couple weeks. That's what I look forward to the possiblies. I love seeing how much better emulators can get performance and feature wise. Like Zodttd said * Exciting times ahead *

So, so far, after 10 days of refunds coming, one and only person has received a refund into their account?

That does sound slightly odd.

i had to ring openpandora to enquire about where the hell the refund is. hopefully theyll get back to me on monday.

my faith is fading fast tbh.
you have my money, tell me wtf is going on with it.

I emailed them and I got a reply on Friday saying the credit card reorder page will be ready in 5-10 days. So Wednesday 19th - Monday 24th November.

I can see some people are getting worried so I'll just point out the brilliant reputation that gbax.com have maintained over the years. They're known for their great customer service from a small team, and you'll never come away unhappy with an order.

The general rule is you tend to get *more* than you pay for! I remember asking them for a GP32 that would clock to 166Mhz. You wouldn't get many companies that would open up boxes and find one for you! Then there were the thumbstick caps that they produced to ship with their GP2Xs, and moving on to the Pandora, once again the customer is coming out on top, this time with extra ram. There's a common trend here..

My current status is that I've received the email, and the money hasn't as yet been refunded. I'm not worried though. My 'queue' position is safe, as is everyones. The money is safe, they're a honest, reliable company. Yes, it's nice to have everything sorted but it's unfortunate, that's all.

Anyone who does decide not to re-order when they receive a refund will be kicking themselves once the Pandoras begin shipping. Excuse the big pic, but let's just look at it one more time :)

open-pandora.jpg

ste_167 said:
My current status is that I've received the email, and the money hasn't as yet been refunded. I'm not worried though. My 'queue' position is safe, as is everyones. The money is safe, they're a honest, reliable company. Yes, it's nice to have everything sorted but it's unfortunate, that's all.
I am in the same position as ste_167 and feel similarly confident about the situation. Maybe it is blind optimism or just a sense of rationale over the situation but either way I will happily wait a very long time for everything to come together. Yes I am excited about getting my hands on a Pandora but I absolutely appreciate the scope of what these guys are doing and the potential issues and trials they were likely to and are facing. Thats why I am happy to wait. What is, shall we say, harshing my buzz, for this wonderful project is all the ridiculous panic and the overwhelming abuse and rudeness about it all. We ordered a month and a half ago yes? We knew where things stood then:

a) the PCBs were made but they were the first or second prototype. This was redesigned and printed after the pre-order
B) parts could not be ordered until they knew the demand for the machine. the orders were delayed to allow for more people to get their hands on the machine, pushing things back for the sake of the many.
c) just how many parts are there? you try making that many parts in 6 weeks.
d) the proper cases needed to be designed round the new PCBs, moulds made, tested, etc. This isnt easy!
e) the keyboard... matt things had to be made
f) people still needed to work on the software that the Pandora comes with. I know this is unlikely to slow down manufacture but it takes a lot of resources and is more work being done towards it.
g) the banking issues also taking resources away
h) and finally 3800 pandoras to be put together. Its been around 45 days since the preorders started. That means that even if they started putting together and testing them immediately, they would be needing to do about 85 a day. That is an IMMENSE amount of work.

I honestly feel disgusted at the response of some of the users of this forum for their impatience and their bad karma. Considering what is being fought for and the efforts being put into it, the response has been disgraceful and I really question how much they deserve what they will eventually be getting. If they can do better they should question why they dont with a "oh.. yeah, sorry".

Final thought then...

This is a thrilling ride and it is coming close to its final realisation. Its the home straight in terms of the machine (and the starting line for the future capabilities of it all of course). I've only been lurking here since the summer so have had less time buzzing over this than some others but if we just swallow our egos and nerves and paranoia we should be able to sit this out to the end being polite and grateful and the whole community will be better off for it. I'm not saying people shouldn't have the right to free speech when they have concerns but panic, paranoia, a lack of perspective and biting of the hand that feeds you is pathetic.

Phew I've wanted to get that off my chest for a couple of weeks now.

Nick

i dont want to come accross as ungrateful, i will be eternally grateful when i have the device in my hands. what does annoy me is the constant stream of empty promises made to us by the devs. they were going to have a finished pandora to show us in july/august (for the gadget show), if you remember. thats just one of a million promises which have never seen the light of day.

but whatever, i can wait and i will wait for it to be finished.

RenegadeChic said:

There has been a very good reason for any "promise" that has been made and well, thats what this community is built on. The forum members aren't treated like customers, they're treated like assisted devs or people within the circle of confidential information. If we really were going to be treated like customers not only would we not have been privvy to the last 2 years and been offered no input, but we wouldnt know about the product at all until it was done. How would you like it? Be involved warts'n'all or just see the final product and any features you dont like about it you can just lump it? I am pretty sure you would rather be in the loop rather than out of it.
Now that you mention it, I realise that is the way I've been thinking about it. In a way, we're not customers: we're investors. Pretty small scale investors with an expected return of a percentage of what is produced from the first batch.

I've been waiting for a device like the Pandora for literally years, and now I've been given a chance to help bring it into existance by putting money where my mouth is. And in return, I'm expecting one of the first 4000 ever made. That is pretty amazing stuff.

As for the promises, it's no comfort I'm sure, but none of them really were 'promises'. They were statements of intent and estimates. And yeah, a lot of them didn't come out. It's likely that there will be more to come like that.

The three questions I ask myself, and which I confirm on the forum are:
  1. Will I get my Pandora? - Yes. Nothing at this stage indicates otherwise.
  2. Will I get it when I originally thought I would as I preordered (Early December)? - Probably not.
  3. Will I get it when I currently think I will(mid December)? - Maybe not.
Sure, I wish the answer to all three was: "Duh, you already have it and you're writing this post on it..." but as long as I can still answer yes to number 1, things are ok.

I'll stir the pot a bit.
My conjecture as to why nobody (only one?) has received the refund is as follows:
1. The bank was getting pissy about the chargeback liability on the account from the pre-orderers.
2. The devs said, piss up a rope, we'll take our business elsewhere.
3. In the process of setting up the refunds with the devs, the bank realizes that most everyone in the pre-order pool is sticking with the purchase, and is unlikely to ask for refund or chargeback from their credit card account.
4. The bank slows down the refund process, hoping to keep the account and the future growth potential.
5. The devs are in a tough spot, allow the bank to continue, hoping they will now keep their word and work with them, or go through with the switch, and have to live with the current bank slowing everything down.

Total conjecture on my part, but, hey, I've got nothing better to do, my Pandora isn't here yet.

I hope this is what is going on, as it will preclude the refunds, and explains the lack of progress in the current refund situation.

Yeah, i suspect to the same j.pickens. It's not a great situation to be in. We'll have to wait it out.

I don't think its got anything to do with them leaving the bank though, banks are rubbish and slow for all, whether your coming or going. especially as this ordeal looks as if it requires some manual human process (on the banks part).

I could be wrong.

Well I guess I'm being a little naughty posting here as my refund hasn't cleared yet, but I've just made the bank transfer and want to wish them all the best!

mahousaru said:
Well I guess I'm being a little naughty posting here as my refund hasn't cleared yet, but I've just made the bank transfer and want to wish them all the best!
When did you received the re-order e-mail?

JS

Back