Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

ZodTTD,... you and your guys aspecially Tinnus are the greatest !!!

Do you want to recompile palmpsx ? I am an owner of a zod2 ! Is this project dead ?

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER AND HELP ! :unsure:

zodttd said:
Exophase wrapped his claws back around gpSP. ;P
So my homebrew freetime has been focused on psx4all.

No problem, i'm sure he can handle gpsp on his own ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
tililse said:
Do you want to recompile palmpsx ? I am an owner of a zod2 ! Is this project dead ?
I'd be curious to see it run on the Zod as well, but it's probably easier/faster to develop on the GP2X.

Problem with the Zod in this is the lower CPU speed. Zods only do 200Mhz whereas most people can clock their GP2X to 250Mhz. That's a significant difference in speed.

However as Exophase has found out, GCC doesn't seem to compile very efficient ARM code - perhaps Codewarrior for Palm is better. so this could make up for the lack of GCC ability. I'm only guessing here. Vilmos, creator of PalmMAME is pretty keen on Codewarrior and has indicated that it produces reasonably optimized code but I don't know to what degree. (A comparison of the object code produced by Exophase's alpha blender code compiled on GCC and Codewarrior would be an interesting exercise).

The Zod does have better graphics hardware but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to psx4all. Do previous versions of psx4all (for Zod) use the hardware? Probably for screen scaling but anything else, I wouldn't know.

slaanesh said:
tililse said:
I'd be curious to see it run on the Zod as well, but it's probably easier/faster to develop on the GP2X.

Problem with the Zod in this is the lower CPU speed. Zods only do 200Mhz whereas most people can clock their GP2X to 250Mhz. That's a significant difference in speed. If the Zods have a FPU it could really help though.

The Zod does have better graphics hardware but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to psx4all. Do previous versions of psx4all (for Zod) use the hardware? Probably for screen scaling but anything else, I wouldn't know.

I should hope it uses whatever hardware it can get, but I think that would mostly depend on who writes the rendering engine for the Zodiac.

I would also be very interested in a zodiac release. I think the zod does have an fpu... not entirely sure though.

nubie said:
slaanesh said:
tililse said:

Problem with the Zod in this is the lower CPU speed. Zods only do 200Mhz whereas most people can clock their GP2X to 250Mhz. That's a significant difference in speed. If the Zods have a FPU it could really help though.

I should hope it uses whatever hardware it can get, but I think that would mostly depend on who writes the rendering engine for the Zodiac.

FPU wouldn't help even a little bit. PS1 is a strictly integer machine, and while FPU might allow you to do a few of the high precision GTE operations in fewer instructions, the overhead of converting from integer to floating point would completely negate that. That's assuming it has a 64bit FPU in the first place, which it probably doesn't.

hmm, I recieved Driver 2 today and I cannot get it to work. I set the OC to 2560mhz, sound off, load the ISO (600mb!) that I got from ISOBuster, but it just is a blank screen... nothing else happens. Any ideas? I miss driver 2 :D

edit, I have driver working, but I cannot change the PS1 clock, I press right trigger and vol +/- but nothing happens at all.

2560mhz ? That's why it wouldn't load: you were overclocking too high! :D

alright, 250 mhz... :p still, how do I under clock the CPU?

but mm, no luck with driver 2, and something has gone funny with my disk, according to ISOBuster I have 3350 odd unreadable sectors, though before it worked fine.. :/

I wasn't able to get that damn ISObuster program to generate useable ISOs on my PC. All the ISOs it created wouldn't run in PC emus even. Didn't give me any errors or anything, just didn't create ISOs which the emus could run.

In the end, I use CDRWIN to get a bin/cue image, then use pocketISO to rip it/compress it a bit.

BTW, in theory you're doing the right thing to underclock/overclock the PSX cpu (i.e. right trigger + Vol Up or Vol Down) so I'm afraid I can't help you there. The only thing I can suggest is that you are somehow still using the older builds which used Push Stick + Vol Up or Vol Down.

for me, Push Stick + Vol up/down changes the VSync rate...

thanks for the info on ISOBuster, I was worried about my amazingly expensive copy of driver 2 not working :p

I got a very kind PM with a note about whether I will continue this project. I felt I should just publically state, yes I am continuing on with this project. I've just been feeling sick as of late.

I got Unai the updated code, so maybe we can crank things up. :)

EDIT: The newest version of psx4gp2x no longer uses push-stick as some d-pad mod users do not have such a button.

I hope you get well soon Zod :)

No need to rush things when it comes to your health, take all the rest you need.

just found out my psx4gp2x is timestamped 04 october 06 :p

get well soon, Zodttd!

edit: whoa, a nice speed difference!!
still not sure whether I am actually underclocking the PS1 though...

edit: found I was still (!) using an older version (march 07)... under/overclocking doesnt make much of a difference to driver though.

zodttd said:
I got a very kind PM with a note about whether I will continue this project. I felt I should just publically state, yes I am continuing on with this project. I've just been feeling sick as of late.

EDIT: The newest version of psx4gp2x no longer uses push-stick as some d-pad mod users do not have such a button.
Very good news, as always, thank you very much Zodttd :)

zodttd said:

It's been like a week since your last release. There's no reason for anyone to start thinking you've quit. After a year they can maybe start thinking that.

No offense to the person who sent you the IM but people should calm down about this sort of thing (and I mean all people, not just people with regard to zodttd and this emulator) :/

Updates code from Unai? sounds good ;) Take your time, don't waste your health! (even if I miss the frequent updates lol)

reiboul said:
Updates code from Unai? sounds good ;) Take your time, don't waste your health! (even if I miss the frequent updates lol)

hear hear!

Im actually quite enjoying playing Driver in slow motion, its very cinematic, and I have time to consider the next move in a chase :D

Im up to 5/6 fps with driver at 70% ps1 cpu. Awesome.

!!DRIVER 2 WORKS NOW!!

er, at about 1-3 fps... still, thats awesome :D

Back