Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

After all those frame or two, We'll realy be playing FF7 at 20 FR in battle :)

zodttd posted on Mar 29 2007 at 02:00 PM said:
ninja sauce: Right now the PSP will handle things much better. I won't make any promises of fullspeed, at least not yet.

First I must say tht FF7 seems to be a game that only needs 30 FPS to be considered fullspeed, and hence can be underclocked heavily, which it was in this test. I also used a high overclock of 266MHz.
My tests with my last build of psx4gp2x with FF7 when in-game were:
- Jumping off the train in the starting of in-game got about 20 Frames Drawn Per Second (FR - Framerate). The VSync was at about 65.
- The first battle was still slow, but faster than before. I got 9 FR.
- When walking outside to the plant's entrance I got about 17 FR.
- When going into the power plant I got a definite fullspeed of 32 FR.
- The running through the power plant was slightly slower than fullspeed.
- The elevator scene was fullspeed.
- Battles seem to be stuck at that 9 FR.

This game has a lot of potential of becoming fullspeed on psx4gp2x, when given some good work on the dynarec. I'm working on improving it's performance now.

So no high expectations should be set yet for psx4gp2x, but it is improving daily. :)

Doesn't FF7 run at 15fps in battle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, just looked it up: 3 pages since yesterday without any news ;) . I just hope that there will be a time when psx4gp2x runs well, I can play my MGS and even DaveC is happy with maybe halfspeed!!
Tomorrow at the same time there will be 3 pages more without any particular sense :p .....

So, stay Cheesey!

lol Gavie at your sig! Someone needs to make a vid of Mario 64 running through the media player and put it up on YouTube. :lol: Pretend like you're playing too!

zodttd posted on Mar 29 2007 at 03:28 PM said:
If psx4gp2x runs even halfspeed on the GP2X, imagine psx4gp3x. :p
Yes, we need a MMSP2+ with dual FPU and a 3D renderer @ 360mhz stock (and on-core TV-Out and USB 2.0 host :D)

MagicEyes MMSP2+ Webpage

Dual CPU Cores
Over 700MIPS CPU Performance with dual ARM9 processor
- ARM926T : Host processor, 360MHz(I/D:16KB/16KB)
- ARM946T : Programmable Coprocessor, 300MHz(I/D: 4KB/4KB, 16KB D-TCM)

Display Controller
up to 1280x1024 @ 60Hz
4 Layers support
Independent Dual Display mode support
Internal NTSC/PAL encoder with Video DAC

Graphics
3D Performance : 100M Texel/sec, 1M Polygon/sec
2D Performance : 400M Pixel/sec (I see you DaveC :p)
3D Texture Mapping, Lighting, Shading, Fogging, Z-Buffer, Alpha Blending
WinCE GDI up to 1280 x 1024
OpenGL ES 1.1 support (Limited)

Edit: Dual display, we could have a DS emulator with a TV connected. :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I want to release a small wip build of psx4gp2x just to show the dynarec is progressing. The emulator needs a LOT of work though. I'm working on performance only right now, so it's not meant to be playable. So it's current build would be considered purely tech demo imho. I have done so much work on the dynarec that I actually went back a few frames in performance by getting lost in the code.

My question to everyone is, what if I get a browsable directory on http://www.spookysoftsite.com/psx4all/ where people can find whatever build I make and feel is worth putting there? Nothing official, and it's just for fun for people to look at. I don't want the pressure of knowing things are broken or not up to par just yet. But I do want to show whats being worked on.

Sound like a good idea?

Sounds like a goodidea: that way people won't be constantly asking for the next build all the time, since they can just go and check themselves... no wait, they will still ask anyway :)

It's a great idea though. Go for it!

Following PSX4GP2X with something like a nightly build? I strongly agree :) Even weekly updates are exciting enough for me to spend my WE on them ;)

Please tell, can I stay awake long enough for the first build to be online, or should I go sleep? :p
I still have a compressed ISO of Castlevania SotN on my SD, and ripped a lot of CD's back in the days ;)

I could release something right now but it will be about 4 FPS slower than a proper build. Even with that, I imagine SOTN would run like utter crap. :p

I'm going to spend an hour on the dynarec. If in 30 minutes I think I can get a build out tonight, I'll let everyone know then. :)

Please don't expect much from this initial builds though as it's just meant to show progress being made. :)

Back