Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Thanks, Cabbages. I should note I'm only clocking to 250. I can't do 266. 260 is my limit.

EDIT: Tetris Plus doesn't run anymore. I get the Jaleco logo, and if I press some buttons, the copyright screen shows for a second and then blank. Ran pretty nice on the old version. I know this version isn't about compatibility, but I thought I should mention it regardless. ;)

CABBAGES posted on Mar 31 2007 at 09:11 PM said:
Just downloading but if i remember from earlier versions it depends on teh game but most games improve as you lower the psx clock but sometimes the game will stop if you lower it too much.

EDIT: If i use a ac adaptor of 5v will that break my gp2x ? just i used one by mistake and it was working fine i was using it for a while before i realised it was 5v! Got loads of batteries but most arnt charged :(
The trick is if it actually making 5v under the drain of the GP2X. Standard power adaptors will pull down to lower voltage like 4 to 3.7 under heavy loads. So chances are that it might be okay. MK1 or MK2?

Zod, thanks for the cool programming, I will be trying this right now :). Is there going to be a USB version? PSX on a PSX pad would be too cool ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a multivolt adaptor and for some strange reason i didnt even check it when i plugged it in and 5v is the lowest it gos. If these batteries run out i will try it again :).

Is there still no way for yrou gp2x to use a usb hardrive or run files from your pc ? I mean without the BOB thiny just i can only find my 1gb card and cant fit much on it and it takes a while to put them on !:p

CABBAGES posted on Mar 31 2007 at 09:26 PM said:
Its a multivolt adaptor and for some strange reason i didnt even check it when i plugged it in and 5v is the lowest it gos. If these batteries run out i will try it again :).

Is there still no way for yrou gp2x to use a usb hardrive or run files from your pc ? I mean without the BOB thiny just i can only find my 1gb card and cant fit much on it and it takes a while to put them on !:p
I have a 30GB fat32 partition on my external drive especially for the GP2X :). I make the USB cables, see my sig.

All you need is the right cables and some simple parts.

If you have a multimeter I would set it and measure the voltage that the GP2X actually receives, if it isn't at least a 1000mAh power supply with 3 or 3.5 output on purpose I wouldn't use it. Even if it works it might melt down from too much use.

ah thnaks i will have a look at makin one of those cables :D.

I just tryed ff7 now and im getting a starnge sort of buzzing noise even once i turn sound off and its even when you are in the psx4gp2x menu.

EDIT: If you turn sound off before you start a game you wont get the buzzing :)

CABBAGES posted on Mar 31 2007 at 09:36 PM said:

I just tryed ff7 now and im getting a starnge sort of buzzing noise even once i turn sound off and its even when you are in the psx4gp2x menu.
That is a sure sign that you have a cheap power supply not meant for use with sensitive electronic equipment.

oh i wasnt using the adaptor i was using batteries there so its not that.

Im goin to try the medal of honour games now coz they ran pretty well on the old versions.

CABBAGES posted on Apr 1 2007 at 12:36 AM said:

EDIT: If you turn sound off before you start a game you wont get the buzzing :)
Mine was doing that, too. No worries.

Ive been putinig the psx clock at about 40% and it seems to be workin best but on medal of honour 2 i tryed and i seemd to sink into the ground and bits of the ground would go black. So i thoought i must need the clock at 100% so i tryed this and it fixed it i ended up back on the ground and normal level .
Then i started comin down a bit with the clock speed and it was weird some speeds you fall throught teh ground a bit and the graphics mess up a bit but other speeds you will raise up out the ground and be standing on teh ground again :D. I know its long and might not make sense so i will probably make a video to show it .

CABBAGES posted on Mar 31 2007 at 09:45 PM said:
oh i wasnt using the adaptor i was using batteries there so its not that.
I did it now, it is the sound buffer getting messed up. I always turned the sound off before the load and it never did it until I left the sound on once.

Here is a video of ff7 from the intro untill just after the first fight. I think it has got quite a bit faster than the older versions ?:-

FF7 VIDEO

Oh and i just noticed whil i was messin around with medal of honour two like i said in the last post i was actually recording so i will upload that too to see what i mean about falling through the floor and comin back up with different clock speeds.

EDIT: Heres that medal of honour 2 video :- Medal Of Honour 2 VIDEO

Battle Arena Toshinden and GTA 1 both run without any graphical glitches, although both are too slow to be playable right now. (GTA is around 5-7fps at 250mhz)

I'm pretty damn impressed though. :) Keep up the good work zottd!

Thanks for the vids; Resident Evil's still kind of slow, does sound make a difference? I expected a bigger jump since this game ran well before. FF7's looking good. It actually looks sort of playable.

Back