Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

fusion_power posted on Apr 1 2007 at 04:54 PM said:
zodttd posted on Apr 1 2007 at 03:19 PM said:
euro48k: I'll definitely get right on that. Making a pretty menu system for an emulator that runs games at 1/3rd their speed will be my top priority. :p
Just ask other people to make the menus. ;) (For me a good Menu also is important)

See, that's the problem with these home-bru thingies - No sense of estetics. I tell you, had this been a commercial endeavor, it'd have had a menu so beautiful it would have made little children cry with joy, with every option from frameskip to ram timings to running cold and hot water (out the ext port).

...'cept none of the options would have made any difference...

...And it'd cost $65...

...and it still would run the games at 1/3 speed. But the screenshots of the menu would look beautiful on the box :)

Honestly, guys - This is a WIP of an emulator engine. If you crave menus, you've simply jumped aboard the train too early.

Exophase posted on Apr 1 2007 at 05:47 PM said:
fusion_power posted on Apr 1 2007 at 02:54 PM said:
zodttd posted on Apr 1 2007 at 03:19 PM said:
euro48k: I'll definitely get right on that. Making a pretty menu system for an emulator that runs games at 1/3rd their speed will be my top priority. :p
Just ask other people to make the menus. ;) I'm sure here enough guys with talent so they can concentrate on the menus (for GPSP to!) and you and Exo can concentrate on the more important stuff! :) (For me a good Menu also is important)

I'm perfectly capable of doing a sufficient menu myself thanks ;P gpSP's base menu is fine, it just needs to be tweaked more for GP2X. I don't know why everyone is so in love with PicoDrive's menu

It's because the savages fear the unknown - "Oooo! It's a menu unlike our old menu! Careful - it might be cursed!!!". That, and also the here demonstrated lack of understanding of the words "Work in progress".

Edit:

I seem to have forgotten this: :)

Last edited by a moderator:
offtopic

@moxie
well ..i know it is a wip and i didn`t jump aboard the train
the menu itself has the same very-sensitive way of changing options ..
and when i say pico-fashion-menu .. i say that one stick-move or press-button is one stick-move not 2 or 3
thankyou

edit
@moxie

jesus christ mate .. savages fear the unknown ?

@Moxie
Full Ack.

@Exophase

The whole menu discussion is pure nonsense. No offence here, but is it really necessary to flame Notaz great work?
BTW, I have no doubt, that people like you and zodttd can do a perfect menu on your own.

Please back to topic now...

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on Apr 1 2007 at 07:05 PM said:
The whole menu discussion is pure nonsense. No offence here, but is it really necessary to flame Notaz great work?
Well he is right about autorepeat, it's somewhat useless right now, will go and patch it. And yes, menus should not be something to grade emus from.

Moxie posted on Apr 1 2007 at 06:00 PM said:
...and it still would run the games at 1/3 speed. But the screenshots of the menu would look beautiful on the box :)
That's the way, how PSP games sell, maybe they are not good....but they LOOK good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, you are right. A menu is unimportant until the program itself isn't nearly finished. All I wanted to say is, that such a thing could improve any programs visual and "feeled" appearance mainly for GP2X bashing DS or PSP kiddies...or your girlfriend, I don't know...but it has time. (oh, and I never mentioned PicoDrive ;) ) In the END, many Programs on GP2X could benefit from some more (unimportant) polishing here and there if we want to beat PSP and DS a little bit more in the ass (our mission or? :lol: )
Me for myself has no problem with simple menus, can be text-only to. But I don't want to EXIT the whole emulator when I just wanted to return to game from menu or SAVE instead of LOAD state... (happend in GPSP sometimes because exact navigation is a little bit...tricky)

fusion_power said:
Moxie said:
That's the way, how PSP games sell, maybe they are not good....but they LOOK good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, you are right. A menu is unimportant until the program itself isn't nearly finished. All I wanted to say is, that such a thing could improve any programs visual and "feeled" appearance mainly for GP2X bashing DS or PSP kiddies...or your girlfriend, I don't know...but it has time. (oh, and I never mentioned PicoDrive ;) ) In the END, many Programs on GP2X could benefit from some more (unimportant) polishing here and there if we want to beat PSP and DS a little bit more in the ass (our mission or? :lol: )
Me for myself has no problem with simple menus, can be text-only to. But I don't want to EXIT the whole emulator when I just wanted to return to game from menu or SAVE instead of LOAD state... (happend in GPSP sometimes because exact navigation is a little bit...tricky)

PSP games sell?

Exophase said:
I don't know why everyone is so in love with PicoDrive's menu, its cursor speed is poor, it fakes autorepeat instead of doing it generally (by making it go faster after several movements, but then it's STILL too slow). gpSP's menu as of the version I have sitting on my GP2X does auto-repeat correctly and the file list menu is better than PicoDrive's if you know how to use it.
Probably because the gpSp version wasn't working right in the version we have from Zod. It did alot of weird things like when you tried to select an option it would back out if you held the button too long, so you had to time it just right to make it do what you wanted. When you went to the romlist it would just stick until you moved the pad right or left first. It just didn't feel natural, it felt like you were fighting the menu to get to what you wanted. Now that you say it has been fixed we should wait and see how it turned out. Chances are it will be fine now.

i hope none of this is coming across as sounding ungrateful to those involved in these great projects - still early days so people shouldnt panic just yet...though like FP i would love to see pico taken in hand and given a new look. i dont use it anywhere near as much as i used to run DrMD, though clearly it is the better emu, just as the whole experience isnt as welcoming. maybe i'm just shallow like that...

But anyway, just tested another game:

Vandal Hearts 2 - no sound, overclocked to 260 and i am getting between 7-12 fps, which i personally think is quite impressive for a WIP release. nice to see it running at all on my little beast here at all.

ninja sauce said:
i hope none of this is coming across as sounding ungrateful to those involved in these great projects - still early days so people shouldnt panic just yet...though like FP i would love to see pico taken in hand and given a new look. i dont use it anywhere near as much as i used to run DrMD, though clearly it is the better emu, just as the whole experience isnt as welcoming. maybe i'm just shallow like that...

But anyway, just tested another game:

Vandal Hearts 2 - no sound, overclocked to 260 and i am getting between 7-12 fps, which i personally think is quite impressive for a WIP release. nice to see it running at all on my little beast here at all.
Run it on the System7 emulator, Apple products make you feel welcome.

AFAIK Picodrive is the only thing out there with SegaCD and USB joypads for input.

Great job on the emu Zodttd!! :), I am going to be ripping all the PSX games I own to the FAT32 partition of my USB hard drive so I can try them all really quickly. I still haven't figured out a quick method for making ISO's for the SD card (although I do have a 3.75MB copy of RidgeRacer that I use to test)

It is now possible to drive the car around in Ridge Racer!!! ~4-5FPS @ 30% CPU doesn't get faster, stays about the same all the way to 60-70% CPU, also seems dependant on the amount of polygons on-screen. Menus are fantastic, the cars and tracks in the select screen are plenty fast.)

Jackd said:
4-5? i remember it being like 12 in the last version
Which last version? I know it Said it was going 12, but it was going like 2, or maybe -1 or something. This time it is actually doing it.

I forgot to add on a 240mhz GP clock w/ram timings on.

Just so everyone knows, the menu statement I made was purely sarcasm. I really dont care about menu systems if the actual emulator itself isn't in a state where it makes sense to take a break and work on GUIs. Though that time will come. I will want a nice and easy to use global clock/ram timing config as well as a per-game graphics/sound settings.

I will get some work done on the dynarec today. Exophase did some thinking on my part, and recommended the possibility of using FIQ (Fast IRQ switching) for use with the dynarec which if implemented correctly could improve things. I of course will not be in usermode when using it but the mmu source from Squidge will help with that, and this would depend on how long it will take to go into FIQ and out of FIQ. Other factors aside, it will most likely give me a nice safe banked register set and the ability to reassign registers on-the-fly. Good stuff.

Right now I'm going through the dynarec code and getting rid of some function tables not needed. Thats recompile-time though and wont help speed much at all I think. Then I will get into a step up of advanced techniques for the dynarec I've been discussing with Exophase and Unai. I'll elaborate on them soon.

This is seriously the best scene to be in console-wise. I really don't care a lot about psx games except for legend of mana, but I think it is still really cool to see zodttd, exophase and una-i go wild. Also, if this ever gets near playable, who knows, maybe I will get more interested in the psx.

xnopasaranx said:
This is seriously the best scene to be in console-wise. I really don't care a lot about psx games except for legend of mana, but I think it is still really cool to see zodttd, exophase and una-i go wild. Also, if this ever gets near playable, who knows, maybe I will get more interested in the psx.

That's funny they have [****] set to auto-edit out, yet your F**ng sig doesn't get edited.

Thanks for the positive report Jackd! IK+ is one of my favorite games.

I'm about to make a new release thats about 3 FPS faster for me. Maybe more. :)

zodttd said:
I'm about to make a new release thats about 3 FPS faster for me. Maybe more. :)
Thank you man, i am copying Wipeout 1 to SD :D :rolleyes:

Im playing raiden project just now and it seems quite playable. It says about 30 fps without sound and with sound its 25 i think anymore videos i make i will try with and without sound.

Back