Beta ResidualVM

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
I know there is already 2 ResidualVM PND on the repo, that's why, I'm not pushing a third.

Still, I have an updated build of ResidualVM, using latest git sources, and compiled to run using GLES2 & Shader.

I tested quickly on Grim Fandago and Myst 3 and both worked well. ResidualVM support also Escape from Monkey Island. There is also a new engine behing developped, the STARK engine, powering "The Longest Journey" (but I have no idea if it's playable or not yet).

The PND is attached.

residualvm07.png

residualvm05.png

Attachments

• residualvm.pnd
    19 MB · Views: 383
Yay this version benefits from the hardware acceleration (CPU is not always maxed out.) And also doesn't have the depth issue for Grim Fandango!

I get a crash on Monkey Island with the 4.10 drivers within the intro. Loading a save from ResidualVM menu bypasses the issue.
Also you need to uncheck fullscreen for Monkey Island or you get a black screen.

Oh, maybe I have to check Monkey Island then...
It might just be my setup, I think it already had the path for Grim Fandango when I first started it, so it must be taking information from a previous version! I'll have a better look into it after work (6am starts in work mean you have to try get to sleep early!). Thanks as ever for your work on all these ports

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Is this engine compatible with the Grim Fandango HD remaster on gog.com?

It might just be my setup, I think it already had the path for Grim Fandango when I first started it, so it must be taking information from a previous version! I'll have a better look into it after work (6am starts in work mean you have to try get to sleep early!). Thanks as ever for your work on all these ports
It's probably on the same appdata as the 1st ResidualVM PND, but not the "0.2.0" version.

Is this engine compatible with the Grim Fandango HD remaster on gog.com?
I have no idea (but I don't think so). I don't own the game so cannot test myself.

I get this kind of error when starting Grim Fandango or Escape From Monkey Island on a CC Pandora when using the default renderer:

residualvm.png

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/polaroid32gb/pandora/menu/residualvm.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/polaroid32gb/pandora/appdata/residualvm
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext4
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/residualvm"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/polaroid32gb/pandora/appdata/residualvm=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/residualvm=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/residualvm"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/residualvm:/mnt/utmp/residualvm/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /mnt/utmp/residualvm/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
WARNING: FSDirectory::cacheDirectory: name clash when building cache, ignoring file 'VOX0000.LAB'!
WARNING: FSDirectory::cacheDirectory: name clash when building cache, ignoring file 'credits.lab'!
WARNING: FSDirectory::cacheDirectory: name clash when building cache, ignoring file 'year0mus.lab'!
WARNING: Could not get GLSL version!
User picked target 'grim-win' (gameid 'grim')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Grim Engine
Starting 'Grim Fandango'
EGLport: Closed
EGL NOTICE: Unable to read ini settings from file 'eglport.cfg'. Using defaults
EGLport: Opening EGL display
EGLport: Using EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY
EGLport: Initializing
EGL Implementation Version: Major 1 Minor 4
EGL_VENDOR: Imagination Technologies
EGL_VERSION: 1.4 build 1.4.14.2616
EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_vg_parent_image EGL_IMG_context_priority
EGLport: Found 2 available configs
EGLport: Using Config 0
EGLport: Binding API
EGLport: Creating Context
EGLport: Creating window surface
EGLport: Making Current
EGLport: Setting swap interval
EGLport: Complete
INFO: OpenGL Vendor: Imagination Technologies
INFO: OpenGL Renderer: PowerVR SGX 530
INFO: OpenGL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0
INFO: GLSL version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00
Could not compile shader grim_background.fragment: Compile failed.
ERROR: Unexpected end of source found
ERROR: 1 compilation errors. No code generated.
!
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/residualvm': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 5

Both games started when I switched to software renderer, but Grim Fandango seems to run a lot less smoothly than with the previous ResidualVM PND, especially in the cutscenes.

This seems to also require a big swap file. Grim Fandango crashed during the intro cutscene when I only had a 1 GB swap file enabled, but I could watch the whole cutscene with a 2 GB swap file.

I cleared my app data directory, and now Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island seem to work fine. At first I thought I needed a swap file for Monkey Island, but it seems to start ok without it. Main glitch I can see is that the game window is centred to the left of the Pandora screen and the clock from the desktop is visible at the other side, but that doesn't really impact gameplay.

I don't recall Grim Fandango needing a swap file on the prior residual releases even on my CC unit. Is something adding to memory usage?

The games start ok on my 1ghz model without any swap enabled. One other thing I've noticed is if I select full screen mode in the graphics options, I only get a black screen

Mmm, I have to look at this "fullscreen" option I guess.
[doublepost=1461011841,1461007095][/doublepost]Ok, here is a new version, that force fullscreen and with a slighlty simple initialise sequence. Maybe it will work better.

About memory consuption, I compiled this version with more options than the build on the repo (like Tremor, mpeg2 or Timidity). Not sure it's usefull, and, as it's dynamicaly loaded, not sure it change memory in fact...

Attachments

• residualvm.pnd
    19 MB · Views: 315
I'll give that a try this evening after work then, thanks for the work on this!

Seems better. Monkey4 does not play the intro and starts immediately on the menu.
Starting a new game gives the black screen problem with the intro as before, however.

GLES, SGX4.10 with fullscreen and aspect correction enabled.

I still haven't test Monkey4. I have to check how those movie and encoded, maybe I miss a plugin in the residualvm build.

@matti1234 : I haven't tested with CC. Try using 4.04 SGX driver maybe, it's the only one that have almost decent GLES2 support...
Tried all the drivers where the version number starts with 4.04 but all I get is a black screen for a split second and the game exits after that. Guess I'll have to use the software renderer then.

Not sure if it's much help but the Monkey Island 4 intro and cutscenes do work for me with the software renderer, not very well but at least they work.

I still haven't test Monkey4. I have to check how those movie and encoded, maybe I miss a plugin in the residualvm build.
Hmmm not sure as the black screen is not a problem if Fullscreen/Aspect correct is disabled and previous ports with HW Accel had similar problems with Monkey4. (Playing "windowed" works but the screen is not centred.)
I guess Monkey4 just has a weird GFX init in comparison to Grim Fandango when it comes to being on the Pandora! :p

Another thing I noticed is that the save game screen for Grim Fandango is SLOOOOOOW and CPU usage maxes out. It's very painful each time you wish to save a game.

But I am enjoying the port so far! :)

Tried all the drivers where the version number starts with 4.04 but all I get is a black screen for a split second and the game exits after that. Guess I'll have to use the software renderer then.

Not sure if it's much help but the Monkey Island 4 intro and cutscenes do work for me with the software renderer, not very well but at least they work.
To bad no drivers accept the GLES2 shader of this game :(. Not much I can do. The fact that video in Makey4 works in Software is a good hint, thanks.

Hmmm not sure as the black screen is not a problem if Fullscreen/Aspect correct is disabled and previous ports with HW Accel had similar problems with Monkey4. (Playing "windowed" works but the screen is not centred.)
I guess Monkey4 just has a weird GFX init in comparison to Grim Fandango when it comes to being on the Pandora! :p

Another thing I noticed is that the save game screen for Grim Fandango is SLOOOOOOW and CPU usage maxes out. It's very painful each time you wish to save a game.

But I am enjoying the port so far! :)
I'll try to take a look at the init part of Monkey4 then, and the save screen of Grim.

I updated to the latest beta posted here and I'm experiencing the same load screen issue on Monkey Island as previously mentioned. The game went straight to the main menu, skipping the intro. Movies play centred to the screen and gameplay is left of centre. Saving seems to work but I can't load any save games as it locks at that point

Back