Round 4. Fight! (2010-10-12)

I bet we haven't gotten any news because the new nubs are unbreakable and are still in the testing machine being tested.

:unsure:

Please...
No, the new nubs are breakable under certain conditions and the manufacturer explicitly points out that exposing them to kryptonite will void the warranty.

;) Testing lasted a few days for the last prototypes, too.

I know it's hard, but we need to wait for it to be finished :)

;) Testing lasted a few days for the last prototypes, too.

I know it's hard, but we need to wait for it to be finished :)
Well length of test (Y) = 500,000 test cycles / testing cycles per day

therefore day of completion (Z) = starting day + Y days

so there should be known a day on which it would pass if it made the grade (Z) or if it failed it would be day Z - (amount of failure)

Well length of test (Y) = 500,000 test cycles / testing cycles per day

therefore day of completion (Z) = starting day + Y days

so there should be known a day on which it would pass if it made the grade (Z) or if it failed it would be day Z - (amount of failure)

Yep, but you need to test multiple prototypes.

If one survives longer, it doesn't mean all will.

And if one dies right away, it might have not been properly produced.

Yep, but you need to test multiple prototypes.

If one survives longer, it doesn't mean all will.

And if one dies right away, it might have not been properly produced.
Agreed but are they testing in parallel or in series?

Do you know how many have to be tested to get a meaningful result?

It would be nice to know if the first one passed or failed yet even if that is not definitive for the whole test.

Agreed but are they testing in parallel or in series?

Do you know how many have to be tested to get a meaningful result?

It would be nice to know if the first one passed or failed yet even if that is not definitive for the whole test.
Agreed, would ease our minds a bit.

It's looking like we will get 5000 of the new ones. They seem to have solved the issue of some being poor quality. Even the weakest of the new ones should be stronger than the best of the old ones.

Fingers crossed this is the end of our MP issues - shoulder buttons - fixed - nubs - fixed - LCD cable - perfect positioned found.

We're working on the wifi driver too as you know, mainly the router issues.

It's looking like we will get 5000 of the new ones. They seem to have solved the issue of some being poor quality. Even the weakest of the new ones should be stronger than the best of the old ones.

Fingers crossed this is the end of our MP issues - shoulder buttons - fixed - nubs - fixed - LCD cable - perfect positioned found.

Wow, that's incredible news!!! Gruso, get this up on PandoraPress! In other news, i hung that Murphy guy from the school flagpole by his underpants and hoisted him up to the top. Feel free to throw tomatoes and rotten eggs. Hopefully he won't escape and ruin this for us again. B)

I'm shocked nobody pinged on this already...

Confirmed: Michael and OPC are in the planning stages for the next Pandora...

We all hope so ! The Pandora has room for improvement to keep up to date for 2011.

However, I'll be an extremely proud owner of the first one when it arrives :)

Great! The next questions we'll all be demanding answers for soon are...

How good were the nubs?

When will mass production start and how long will it take for them to deliver to the board company.

How long does it take for the board company to solder these. What's the expected flow rate from them to you with completed boards.

TIA!

Congratulations on this Milestone Craig (and team). I hope the board factory can live up to their claims and am looking forward to receiving my unit in the near future.

Congratulations on this Milestone Craig (and team). I hope the board factory can live up to their claims and am looking forward to receiving my unit in the near future.

Nubs are way better. The first we had didn't survive 100K, the new ones got about 400K.

We had hoped for 500K, but 400K is the minimum they survived - and that's 4 - 7 times longer than before.

One thing we have to make clear here:

The stresstest just tests how long they will survive at least before the rubber TEARS (means: Until the nub doesn't center anymore)

It has NOTHING to do with the nub jumping around or not working properly anymore. That issue has been solved with the first of the new prototype.

Most nubs that failed so far were not working properly anymore, they didn't tear. And so far the ones that teared were the ones having problems (jumping, nub dance, etc.) right from the start.

Phew... so far, so good.

Now let's hope for the boards... I still don't really trust that company... but we are already looking for alternatives (and found some promising looking one).

It won't help for Batch 1, but we cannot continue to work like that in the future.

We need reliable partners.

If the board company produced all the boards as promised, I'm more than happy and we don't need an alternative. But it's probably better knowing there are others who can do it, too :)

So you guys are accepting these new nub prototypes? That's good news. I wonder how long the company estimate it to take to produce them and ship them to assembly in Texas?

Nubs are way better. The first we had didn't survive 100K, the new ones got about 400K.

We had hoped for 500K, but 400K is the minimum they survived - and that's 4 - 7 times longer than before.

Phew... so far, so good.

Now let's hope for the boards... I still don't really trust that company... but we are already looking for alternatives (and found some promising looking one).

It won't help for Batch 1, but we cannot continue to work like that in the future.

If the board company produced all the boards as promised, I'm more than happy and we don't need an alternative. But it's probably better knowing there are others who can do it, too :)

The last batch of nubs (with the less-fancy material) was 300K, wasn't it? So this didn't even do so much for us. Of course, if it's not any more expensive, it's worth doing.

More to the point, you said you were shooting for 500K. Are you still, or are you going to call it done with this revision, and give them the green light? Or will there be still another (and more?) revision?

If only the nubs were socketed, as someone has suggested, you could use these, and then offer better quality nubs as an upgrade (or replacement) later on. Any reason this wasn't in the original design?

The stresstest just tests how long they will survive at least before the rubber TEARS (means: Until the nub doesn't center anymore)

It has NOTHING to do with the nub jumping around or not working properly anymore. That issue has been solved with the first of the new prototype.

Most nubs that failed so far were not working properly anymore, they didn't tear. And so far the ones that teared were the ones having problems (jumping, nub dance, etc.) right from the start.

Phew... so far, so good.

So... testing finished, all systems go?

The last batch of nubs (with the less-fancy material) was 300K, wasn't it?
He actually says right in the post you just quoted that the first ones didn't even last to 100K :p

The new ones seem to be consistently hitting 400K.

I think, that means: Mass Produktion!!!!, I want that in 2 Week, there are 2500 Completly Boards lying around in England... thats a big amount of Work for the Team around Craigix...

Phew... so far, so good.

I just wanted to ask if those who have a pandora with the original nubs who might want to get replacement nubs of the new better type could we get replacements? or if not can we purchase them and swap them in ourselfs? (i have a soldering iron) or should we purchase them from you but send our pandoras to you guys to solder them in (like an upgrade service?) so we dont void our warrenty? maybe even the same for the new lcd shielded cables that you are going to start using?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass production will start while the company is still trying to improve it for the future.

It's probably not necessary, but we won't lose time nor money here, and it's worth a shot.

According to the company, first mass production nubs could be finished in one week, so if they start early next week, they could arrive in 1,5 weeks in Texas to be soldered onto the boards.

not to sound petty here but please lets get the 1st and 2nd batch done/started before we start asking for replacment parts

Back