Slackware inside Pandora.

You were right notaz !

Got Slack !

I didn't copied modules, just the kernel, booted, and i'm @ the Slackware login prompt.

Just had a warning :

*** ERROR: Root partition has already mounted read-write. Cannot check !

etc... Lilo blahblah ^^

So i edited the autoboot.txt, changing rw into ro.

Now it's clean.

Time to wipe the "last" error in above post :

# INSTALL_MOD_PATH="/mnt/sd/1/" make modules_install

cp: cannot stat `/home/me/pandora/pandora-kernel/modules.builtin': No such file or directory

make: *** [_modinst_] Error 1

Have an idea ?

I dual-boot Slackware64 and Windows 7 at home, and I was wondering - what would be the benefits of running slack on the Pandora? As far as I can tell, it looks the same as KUbuntu, which looks just like the Pandora's desktop if I install XFCE...

D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

Slackware is the best Linux distro. The most stable and the most effective (tried _a lot_, so don't even try arguing, i won't respond ^^).

So i had to run it, at least once ^^.

Although i suceeded and will probably write a tuto on official OP wiki, i'll stay with the official OP system for now.

The community has to reinforce the current system before going all ways around, and i need to better know our little beast :^).

Last edited by a moderator:
Slack on Pandora.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

Slackware is the best Linux distro. The most stable and the most effective (tried _a lot_, so don't even try arguing, i won't respond ^^).

So i had to run it, at least once ^^.

Yes, didn't I already say I run Slackware64? I've also run Kubuntu and don't see a difference. What I want to know is why anyone would want to run it on the Pandora? What does it bring us that Angstrom doesn't?

D.

cp: cannot stat `/home/me/pandora/pandora-kernel/modules.builtin': No such file or directory

Have an idea ?
do 'make modules' first (with ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE set of course)? I thought you had this mistake already.

Have an idea ?
do 'make modules' first (with ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE set of course)? I thought you had this mistake already.

It was another error about modules.order, and at this time, i indeed forgotten the make modules ...

But i just retried a compilation, make modules went fine, and the same error appears again : modules.builtin': No such file or directory ...

Have an idea ?

It was another error about modules.order, and at this time, i indeed forgotten the make modules ...

But i just retried a compilation, make modules went fine, and the same error appears again : modules.builtin': No such file or directory ...

have you continue with slack?

Not yet.

I'm sticking with official OS for now.

Running Slackware was mandatory for me so i HAD to succeed.

But i still plan to work on it again.

Wow, after reading this my gentoo experience looks like an easy walk. Just grab the kernel from zaxxon, get stage 2 and install packages - autounmask stuff and make sure you have enough battery remaining (and gear down on heavy packages like webkit or qt).

I may have missed something as time passed since.

Which Gentoo did you used ?

EDIT----

Just compiled a recent kernel : same result :/

Do we have several of them? :)

I've recently tried to install Gentoo (current, vanilla) to an SD card to use with Pandora. Being the lazy bastard I am I just asked some Gentoo people if it's ok to run .27 kernel with more or less new userspace apps, then installed it following Debian on SD guide and ARM Gentoo handbook when needed. I've got all of the hardware working (keyboard, wifi dongle and nubs for sure), and quite a lot of stuff compiled just fine, I've got X11 working, installed fvwm, tried midori and fooled around with vim and mc. Unfortunately, at this point my LCD cable died and the experiment is now paused until I get spare parts (2 to 6 weeks depending on mail). It wasn't a rocket science indeed, just took a lot of time to compile on Pandora (about a week, but these were 'fat' things - gtk, qt, webkit). All of this time emerge was working in chroot and I've been using Pandora just to surf the web and read fb2 books.

I should say though that with that installation I didn't care too much for the gaming side of Pandora, I just wanted a tiny laptop with the apps I'm used to and Debian didn't suit my needs, I'd just stick with it if it did.

Well i don't understand...

Took parts from the latest rootfs : modules, firmware, kernel...

Kernel panic again :/

Like before i may have to compile a custom kernel, but this time i does not work. Blank screen, no clue...

EDIT -----

Mmm just though this time, i'm on a x86_64 multilib host, but as the kernel compiled fine...

BTW i'm going to get a new toolchain, but i don't know which one to choose :

https://sourcery.men...?@template=lite

GNU/Linux, i presume ?

EDIT -----

Compiling a new kernel with new toolchain.

I'm sure i missed some stuff in .config

Does someone has a link to a working pandora one ? (i can't remember where to find the official one, damn i'm tired tonight)

EDIT -----

Rofl, this time it stays on pandora logo after a little blink. Better and better ;^).

EDIT -----

Remembered .config thread (started by me !) :

Seems i built a bad kernel.

Will try to build a working kernel for HF6 first.

Some news.

I installed a 12.2 on a SD.

The Slackware's package installer is named "installpkg".

This tool allows to specify the rootpath of the installed packages.

So i downloaded the 12.2 main packages, and installed them to the root of my SD card.

Copied autoboot, fstab and the OP kernel.

Working fine except X.

fbdev driver doesn't work.

Grabbed omapfb driver, but i got only a black screen, using OP's xorg.conf.

13.1 and 13.37 need a more recent kernel.

Ok, launched pkgtool's setup scripts, mixed Slackware OP's xorg.conf, and i have Xfce up and running :) .

Have no nub mouse, but touchscreen works, and is reverted !!!

Back