The Pyra-Logo

In that font, initcaps looks a lot more word-shaped than all caps, but it varies with the font.  Although your lower case example is in a much bigger font size, which might have something to do with it too.
It's because uppercases are in Bold, that makes it looks more sturdy I admit. But when you put lowercase in bold it match less with the logo, so you loose this benefit. Philopher in capital and bold reminds me another console's or game's name font but I can't remember which one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still rather not have all capital letters.
I feel that a wavy logo plus a lowercase name is too much. We need to equilibrate by chosing a name which looks sturdy because otherwise it will contrast too much with the Pyra which is a strong brick while a name and a logo is made to represent and depict the device.

I feel that a wavy logo plus a lowercase name is too much. We need to equilibrate by chosing a name which looks sturdy because otherwise it will contrast too much with the Pyra which is a strong brick while a name and a logo is made to represent and depict the device.
I believe you've got a good point here. A solid font will balance the fluid logo nicely.

-God Ginrai

Wavy logo plus sturdy name sounds like a contrast to me. I think lowercase complements the logo.

Philosopher font in bold and uppercase is wavy enough to match with the logo without being too weak and fluide like in lowercase. Lowercase match better with logo but the whole will not match with the Pyra design IMO.

140424112819313248.png

Also the name "Pyra" is feminine. It would be too much wavy/fluide/female to represent and depict a mainly raw/straight/male console brick.

Also the name "Pyra" is feminine. It would be too much wavy/fluide/female to represent and depict a mainly raw/straight/male console brick.
Dude, do you even lift?

No, seriously. It's the imagery for a girl and fire. Wavy/fluide/female or whatever makes sense.

Besides, it's not that feminine for people to start going "Dude bro" on you. :lol:

Dude, do you even lift?

No, seriously. It's the imagery for a girl and fire. Wavy/fluide/female or whatever makes sense.

Besides, it's not that feminine for people to start going "Dude bro"
I mean a logo and name is made represent the device, so  when someone will see the logo with lowercase he will imagine a tweaked and smooth device while it's an austere brick, so he will be disapointed.

While square uppercase letters (enough wavy to keep the matching with the logo) will contrast with the wavy logo and makes the whole look more in accordance with the Pyra.

Beside a too feminine logo/name isn't good for a game console. Unless Playstation which are a particular case (compound name, letters logo, the console's names are also the name of the whole), the only console which have lowercase letters name is Dreamcast and it failed (wavy logo+ lowercase).

There needs to be some consistency between the logo and the font... you can't for instance use a font that is purely reminiscent of straight right angles / blocks or cubes.

That worked for the Pandora logo because there was consistency between the logo and the font.

The Pyra logo you could say is almost on the opposite side of the aesthetic spectrum to the Pandora.

I really think the Philosopher font *with serifs* gives you that consistency, while still having enough of a contrast in form to provide the balance. Choosing a font without serifs or that has no curves or points at all is going to be *Too Much* of a contrast, and will not be a balance at all.

Two colours on opposite sides of the colour wheel are not necessarily balanced.

You have to think about colour harmonies.

I mean a logo and name is made represent the device, so  when someone will see the logo with lowercase he will imagine a tweaked and smooth device while it's an austere brick, so he will be disapointed.

While square uppercase letters (enough wavy to keep the matching with the logo) will contrast with the wavy logo and makes the whole look more in accordance with the Pyra.
Well, they will just find out that she is ... :lol:
Besides, this isn't the final look of the Pyra. It could very well be rounded out.

Beside a too feminine logo/name isn't good for a game console. Unless Playstation which are a particular case (compound name, letters logo, the console's names are also the name of the whole), the only console which have lowercase letters name is Dreamcast and it failed (wavy logo+ lowercase).
Smh A feminine logo/name has nothing to do on what happens to a console.

Did somebody try the text from the forums header? It's sort of straight and wavy at the same time. It might work ...

I would stretch the "DragonBox", so it starts at the P and goes all the way to the end of the "a". That way you have a square appearance although you are using lowercase letters. I think it should always be there if you settle for lowercase. In my opinion there is not enough "weight" on the right side otherwise. The word is too short to mix uppercase and lowercase. When going larger than normal text size, it will always seem like there is something missing on the right end. Putting something on top solves this problem.

There needs to be some consistency between the logo and the font... you can't for instance use a font that is purely reminiscent of straight right angles / blocks or cubes.

That worked for the Pandora logo because there was consistency between the logo and the font.

The Pyra logo you could say is almost on the opposite side of the aesthetic spectrum to the Pandora.

I really think the Philosopher font *with serifs* gives you that consistency, while still having enough of a contrast in form to provide the balance. Choosing a font without serifs or that has no curves or points at all is going to be *Too Much* of a contrast, and will not be a balance at all.

Two colours on opposite sides of the colour wheel are not necessarily balanced.

You have to think about colour harmonies.
I never said we need some brick font. However, an all capital letters does provide the necessary rigidity to counter-balance the curves of the logo.

I have to disagree about the Philosopher font, however. I don't believe that serifs match well with that logo.

-God Ginrai

Back