Understanding the lurkers

Are you a lurker or a poster?

• I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I like to respond to polls but have no interest in the Pyra.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinda like "get your thumb out of your ass" or "shitting bricks" that are heard in English in some places. I don't recall anything quite like the first example you have.

Didn't know about those correspondings in english.
Strange how two languages can use almost the same metaphors.
Thanks for sharing this 'cultural' moment.

I have not pre-ordered yet solely because my Craig pre-order of the open pandora was never filled. After exchange fees shipping and a TV out cable I'm out over $600.

[...]

The tipping point for me would be some sort of compensation for the money lost for the original mishap.

[...] I'm also aware of the vouchers ED offered to buy a unit at parts cost which I do appreciate but never was able to follow through with. When I had the money the voucher didn't work so I didn't pull the trigger on it thus leading to my eBay unit.
If I remember correctly, the offer to get a unit at cost is for Pyra orders. When Craig left the scene, Ed originally received a list from him that (allegedly) contained all unfulfilled Craig Pandora orders, and then Ed fulfilled many of those orders (even though the two had separate companies) until there were not enough new Pandoras left (I think, I might be misinformed there). The remaining people on that list will be able to buy or preorder a Pyra at production cost:
Well, if you are on that huge list Craig sent to me, then you got various emails from me regarding the future about two years ago.
That list still exists, and everyone on there can get a Pyra for production cost price.
Source: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/more-pandoras-soon-at-the-shop.76058/page-7#post-1362139
Sadly, we cannot give out these vouchers at the beginning, as we wouldn't get enough funds to do the production run.
Craig simply had too many Pandora orders left :(

Once we got enough preorders (about 1500), you will all receive the voucher and will then be able to use it anytime (as a preorder or when the unit is available from stock later).

Sorry about that, but we first need to make sure we can finance everything. You won't be forgotten though, promised!
Source: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...named-starts-in-two-hours.77328/#post-1375434

Link to the Pyra preorder statistics for the unaware.

If I remember correctly, the offer to get a unit at cost is for Pyra orders. When Craig left the scene, Ed originally received a list from him that (allegedly) contained all unfulfilled Craig Pandora orders, and then Ed fulfilled many of those orders (even though the two had separate companies) until there were not enough new Pandoras left (I think, I might be misinformed there). The remaining people on that list will be able to buy or preorder a Pyra at production cost:

Source: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/more-pandoras-soon-at-the-shop.76058/page-7#post-1362139

Source: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...named-starts-in-two-hours.77328/#post-1375434

Link to the Pyra preorder statistics for the unaware.

I was under the impression the vouchers were strictly for the classic pandora. I didn't even know about the pyra back when this was going on but I also could be mistaken as I was more concerned with getting my order filled or money back.

I'll be researching this and If that's the case and some sort of voucher does apply to the Pyra yes I would be much more inclined to purchase one.

Thanks for the info and links! Research commences after work this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be a rather inept stalker of the Pandora project (I somehow completely missed the scandals, tears and tantrums). Loved the idea, and was seeking lots of information at the time, but mixed feedback, reviews, etc put me off and i never became active, aside from making a mental note that it looked a rather cool project that I only wished had been realised better.

Enter the Pyra. This time it looked more promising, and finding the forum a hive of activity was encouraging.

I don't like any social media websites where friends, family, work, hobbies, etc are all mixed; all seems a little disturbing, so sharing an interest with a friendly bunch of strangers seems eminently preferable to indicating interests to a bunch of ... acquaintances who usually don't give a shit about it.

So, I wouldn't usually be an active poster, but with such a friendly, passionate, and active community of geeks, freaks and/or social misfits and degenerates, I felt right at home.

(If you're offended by the previous paragraph, then it probably wasn't aimed at you)

I don't like any social media websites where friends, family, work, hobbies, etc are all mixed; all seems a little disturbing, so sharing an interest with a friendly bunch of strangers seems eminently preferable to indicating interests to a bunch of ... acquaintances who usually don't give a shit about it
I feel the same way, kinda. If you really want to know what I am up to either ask me (most don't care) or you have to stalk me. If you show even the least bit of interest in those things you will find I won't shut up about them (some here learned that the hard way, sorry).

Been lurkering here since 2015. I wanna Pyra badly, but I'm on a limited income, and I need to save up for new living room furniture first. It's all good though, I'd rather wait for the Pyra to be released and refined a bit before getting it anyway. I can still develop stuff for it in C++ and SDL2 on my Windows laptop while waiting.

I am a lurker since 2013.I am a proud owner of a 1ghz Pandora.I did not preordered the pyra yet because i like the gpd win also,so i'l wait till the pyra get's out and then whill i choose

Hi everyone I am a lurker since 2012. I have a rebirth Pandora and I preordered a pyra. My English is not so good and I am a Linux noob:) (first Linux contact with the Pandora). So I can´t be much helpful.
But I enjoy reading the boards.

On the contrary, your lack of Linux experience would be invaluable in keeping some of us aware of how we can not overwhelm or intimidate other newbies.

Also, your English seems good enough, but feel free to post in German.

I was under the impression the vouchers were strictly for the classic pandora. I didn't even know about the pyra back when this was going on but I also could be mistaken as I was more concerned with getting my order filled or money back.

I'll be researching this and If that's the case and some sort of voucher does apply to the Pyra yes I would be much more inclined to purchase one.

Thanks for the info and links! Research commences after work this evening.

In the same boat here. Ordered a pandora from the first batch and (to make a long story short) never received it. One of ED's offers for people in this situation was to wait for the pyra and buy it at production cost.

This information is given near the bottom of the pyra preorder FAQ page.

So the tipping point for me is when the preorder counter hits the magic number of 1500 and vouchers go out. Until then I'm back to lurking and religiously checking the stalker page.

In the same boat here. Ordered a pandora from the first batch and (to make a long story short) never received it. One of ED's offers for people in this situation was to wait for the pyra and buy it at production cost.

This information is given near the bottom of the pyra preorder FAQ page.

So the tipping point for me is when the preorder counter hits the magic number of 1500 and vouchers go out. Until then I'm back to lurking and religiously checking the stalker page.

So I read through the FAQs. Do I need to contact ED with my unfulfilled pandora order info now? Or once the pyra pre-orders hit 1500?

@trevornot : Not sure what relevance 1500 pre-orders has on anything.

Nevermind actually read it... still a bit confused about the 1500 pre-orders mark, it might be to point where ED isn't in negative numbers and could be generous enough to grant vouchers.

Last edited:
e2c08322c7b630567bae669fa7a65843.png

Nevermind actually read it... still a bit confused about the 1500 pre-orders mark, it might be to point where ED isn't in negative numbers and could be generous enough to grant vouchers.

They are getting the 1500 from here:

"Q: I still didn't receive my Pandora preorder and heard I can get it for production cost price! How does that work?
A: Don't worry, we'll keep our promise and will send you a voucher code eventually. However, we cannot afford that right from the start - we need to get at least 1500 preorders first before we can send these vouchers out.
You can then use the voucher any time, you can also wait until the Pyra is available from stock!"
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/preorder/

The 1500 preorder number is from...just kidding. I thought ED said he wouldn't be able to pay off investors until around 3000. Would those vouchers delay that or cause problems?

I'm a lurker, I read a lot but I haven't ordered one yet. I am waiting to be able to pay with paypal. I plan on using it to play my collection of retro games on it. I am a collector of NES/SNES/cube and sega counterparts games and want to play them on the go :)

Back