Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

hm, zelda four swords doesnt seem to start at all for me "bad jump dc034e24 (200003a)"
May be a bad rom though... i try another.

any test results for wario land 4? :blink: Refreshing every 5 mins :lol:

@Mudi

Payback boots and the intro starts, but it has massiv graphic gliches and it is not playable.

Regards,
Stephan

unfortunately, none of the games I'm testing are in the game_config file :-(

Good news - Bubble Bobble - Old & New appears to run at full speed (200mhz, fs 0). Occasional 1-second "freezes" throughout the game.

Namco Museum - runs about half speed

Super Ghouls & Ghosts - same, half speed or thereabouts in-game

Sonic Advance 2 - poor sound, running at about 2/3 speed

R-Type III, Third Lightning - runs very well, but sound is all over the place. No stuttering, but samples are played at the wrong times (or so it seems). Good speed in-game, but depends on what's going on.

Donkey Kong Country II - plays a short burst of sampled music, then hangs, but the emulator hasn't crashed.

Sonic Advance 3 - Parts run at full speed (intro, menu) but the game runs at about half speed. Very bad sound stuttering and synch issues.

PacMan World (US) - about half speed again, with sound stuttering.

James Pond II - Robocod - slow intro, sound stuttering with no video output

Namco Museum 50th Anniversary - again, runs about half speed in game, with full speed menus/intros

Elite GBA - missing graphics, don't know about speed as I couldn't launch!

Bust-a-move - Palette problems

Legend of Zelda, Link to the past & four swords - sound stuttering, moves at what appears to be full speed.

Nebulus (foxy remake) - graphical corruption at the top of the screen, stuttering sound, but runs at what appears to be full speed (or very near to it).

Skool Daze - Klass of '99 (remake of Speccy original) - locks up on game start (emulator crashed/unresponsive).

Zelda: Minish Cap - starts well, about 5 secs of pure, full speed before the sound stuttering begins. Game runs at full speed (regardless of the awful audio) and is very playable.

Finally, all games have palette problems - particularly noticeable in Outrun on Sega Arcade Classics.

That's all the ROMs of actual games I own - I've not tested the Speccy emulation or GB emulation ROMs yet.
Oh, I'm running at 200mhz. Frameskip changes don't make any difference - setting fs to 16 doesn't actually skip 16 frames. Audio buffer size makes no difference. I can overclock to 300mhz, but I generally don't - if a game won't run at 200, I don't play it.

D.

So far:

stuttery sound and occasional graphical slow down:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Contra Advance
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance
Gauken Alice

Running well with good sound:
HelloKitty Happy Party Pals
Atomic Betty

Not Running:
Golden Sun - Loads and makes a glitch noise then hangs
Golden Sun - Lost Age - Hangs on PRESS START SCREEN

Am using default settings and 240 clocking...

Dunny: You'll be the person I'll goto if I need something checked at 200MHz. :) ...I don't notice palette problems in Sonic Advance 2, one of the games I test. It does run fullspeed at 240-266MHz for sure, but I understand the want/need for it to run at less or no overclock. I tested DKC 2 and it worked for me, so I'll check into that. It may be a bad rip or a game with a scene intro added.
THOUGH, just noticed you probably have frameskip set to auto when adjusting the value. Set to manual if you want to adjust frameskip. Auto will ignore the value and just do it on it's own.

Ninja Sauce: Try using manual frameskip 1 or 2 and see if it improves speed if possible. I will test Golden Sun 1 and 2 now. :)

All testing at 240mhz with default settings.

The three ratings will be for Gameplay/GFX/Sound. A = Near-Perfect, B = Good, C = Poor

Mario vs Donkey Kong - A/A/C
F-Zero GP Legend - B/B/C - seems a little slow but plays well. Onscreen map is flickery, rest seems good.
Mario Golf Club - black screen (Camelot game).
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror - B/A/C - some slowdown when many sprites onscreen, but very playable.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation - A/A/B - almost perfect, just a bit of sound jutter during attacks.
Advance Wars - B/B/C - tiny bit slow, colors a bit washed out on map screen, especially the transparency for unit movement.
Starfy 3 - B/A/C - a little slow, but looks fantastic.
Hudson Best Collection 6 - crashes emu after title screen.
Final Fantasy 1+2 - A/A/C
Gradius Advance (E) - C/A/C - very slow., but otherwise looks the goods.
Yu-gi-oh Day of the Deulist 2004 - B/A/C - tiniest bit slower than hardware.
Final Fantasy 4 Advance - A/A/C - intro graphic (the orange sun) looks very strange, but otherwise perfect (apart from sound jutters).
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance (U) - crashed to white screen.
Metal Slug Advance - A/A/C - BRILLIANT!
Rebelstar Tactical Command (U) - B/A/C - bit slower than the real thang.
Tales of Phantasia (U) - resets or crashes during game/intro sequence (just before your character hits the bad guy. Gives error "bad jump ffffffc").
Ultimate Card Games - A/A/B
GTA Advance (U) - white screen crash.
Wario Land 4 - A/A/B - some slowdown on intor screens, but ingame is perfect.

Generally, most things are playing fullspeed - VERY impressive. Sound still has major slowdown/jumpiness, but with higher overclock and some settings changes you can improve that.

hackgrid posted on Mar 8 2007 at 11:15 AM said:
Bleh. Still some days left until i get 18 and are allowed to create a paypal account :(
PM zodttd, I think he did say something about "unable to donate" ask personally.

I tested

NFS:porsche Unleashed, menu buttons have the color weirdness problem, runs about half-speed in game at 250mhz with no sound at auto/4 skip settings. Playable pretty much, no major glitches

Mario kart super circuit, same game settings, menu seemed fine, no glitches in game, won a race fine, half-speed and everything seems like the gamma was amped a bit (could it be that the game detects the "system" it is on and thinks you have a GBA with no backlight?)

So far so good, just need to optimize a bit, it is quite playable once you get used to the half-speed. I seem to have only tried 3D games, I don't know if that can be optimized, and I don't know how many 3D games there actually are. (I seem to remember the Gaming magazines pretending the GBA was a great 3D handheld when it was released, maybe it was, but that was a long time ago.)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a debug test during boot of gpSP currently. Please report if it takes around 5 seconds before showing the overclock screen. If it does, it means the MMU patch was not successfully loaded, leading to a significant slowdown due to the use of HW SDL and upper 16mb of RAM used for video surfaces.

Dunny: I just noticed I am using DKC and not DKC 2. Sorry about that. I'll work on fixing the palette issues. I'll use Sega Arcade Collection to test the palette even though it runs so slowly still.

Does anybody else have stability issues? Somehow all games crash for me after a few minutes.
I tried Metroid fusion and army man, booth seem close to fullspeed with fine sound.

edit: at 270mhz that is, which should be fine stability wise as my unit can usaly do about 290mhz.

nubie: What overclock are you using? Mario Kart is one of the slower games due to it's more intensive graphics, I can run it fullspeed at 266MHz for sure. Sometimes it needs a tweak from auto frameskip to manual 1 or 2.

GunPei2x: Great work! I am working on getting RebelStar (great game!) and others working a bit faster for 240MHz users right now. Oh, and Advance Wars 2 runs great at low or no overclock. Might want to try it if you can, instead of Advance Wars 1.

Vimacs: I don't notice any stability issues at my 266MHz OC. I should really check for updated overclocking code. Maybe mine is buggy as it seems people always get lower overclocks with my projects. Do you get a "bad jump" error? How does it crash?

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 08:09 PM said:
nubie: What overclock are you using? Mario Kart is one of the slower games due to it's more intensive graphics, I can run it fullspeed at 266MHz for sure. Sometimes it needs a tweak from auto frameskip to manual 1 or 2.

GunPei2x: Great work! I am working on getting RebelStar (great game!) and others working a bit faster for 240MHz users right now. Oh, and Advance Wars 2 runs great at low or no overclock. Might want to try it if you can, instead of Advance Wars 1.

Vimacs: I don't notice any stability issues at my 266MHz OC. I should really check for updated overclocking code. Maybe mine is buggy as it seems people always get lower overclocks with my projects. Do you get a "bad jump" error? How does it crash?

Sorry I haven't had much to report, I finally got ubuntu working right on the laptop XD

I'll give some input later tonight, I think.

*reloading every 2 min :p *
This is the most awsome thing ever. Playing gba on my gp2x. Now, thats something :) I'm guessing many donations will come in the near future, zodtdd :)

Zodtdd: Do you have magic tricks on how to make 3d games faster? (Mario Kart especially. It is the second most selling gba game of all times)

Keep up the good work, Zod..

Ok, I got the new sources for cpu_lcd_ram_tweaker. About to implement CPU/RAM timings with these sources now. Continue testing though, as it will just be an update to the GPE and everything else will be compatible. This upcoming update will hopefully improve cpu overclocks and for GP2X's that support it, RAM timings will help performance.

It usaly just freezes.
But it could be cause of the psu, i doubt it though, I'm running some other apps right now to verify that it isn't my unit.

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 07:54 PM said:
Dunny: You'll be the person I'll goto if I need something checked at 200MHz. :)

THOUGH, just noticed you probably have frameskip set to auto when adjusting the value. Set to manual if you want to adjust frameskip. Auto will ignore the value and just do it on it's own.

Hey, np :)

There's another donation in it for you if you get my "test suite" of roms running at 200mhz :)
I'll try again with the "auto" frameskip option off in about an hour - I have to go play Thief now.

D.

Ram Timigs only push performance about 3 frames? At least in the others emulators.

Rivroner posted on Mar 9 2007 at 07:23 AM said:
Ram Timigs only push performance about 3 frames? At least in the others emulators.
Everything little bit helps! RAM timings can increase speed by up to 10%. I have nothing to back that up with. :)

Back