Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

Julius posted on Mar 10 2007 at 07:34 PM said:
Maybe it's the RAM timings or something messed up with your SD filesystem? (The latter happend quite often already to me, especially when useing the GP2X with USB to write data on the SD :( )

I wasn't getting these areas on the earlier releases, same roms on the card. So, I'm guessing it could be the ram timings, I have no idea what to dow ith them though, I just used the defaults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auritribe posted on Mar 10 2007 at 12:30 PM said:
Julius posted on Mar 10 2007 at 07:34 PM said:
Maybe it's the RAM timings or something messed up with your SD filesystem? (The latter happend quite often already to me, especially when useing the GP2X with USB to write data on the SD :( )

I wasn't getting these areas on the earlier releases, same roms on the card. So, I'm guessing it could be the ram timings, I have no idea what to dow ith them though, I just used the defaults.
To be extra sure, remove the entire directory (or re-name it, if you have the room) and unzip everything fresh on your PC and get it all set up, then copy it back over. The roms too. I had to do that for some reason on one of the earlier betas.

Is it possible that when the emulator bombs for the first time it corrupts the rom? (or maybe a part of itself?) I was playing Tony Hawks Underground 2 for about an hour, and then my GP2X or the emu froze (I had it clocked to its tested stable limit of 280Mhz, but I do find that other games like Quake and Egoboo will sometimes freeze at that overclock too) since then I could not play the rom without it crashing within 5 minutes or so, but copying everything back, as nubie suggested and playing at 270mhz seems to be ok...

[edit] Oh, hope I didn't just jinx myself, ;) but great work so far Zodttd :)

Now, I'm not beta'ing, but I'd imagine an easier way of handling the game_config.txt would be by comparing a CRC value instead of filenames, not forcing people to fiddle with GoodGBA or other auditing utilities, but that's just my two cents. This is looking really promising. Great stuff, Zod.

He doesnt check filenames. He checks the headers of the roms.

But Do we have a sreious bug?

I'm seeing crashing out on almost EVERY game no matter what the clock or the ram timings. I dont think this was in the original private beta version. Well not the original but version 0.9002.

Yes, I've just experienced this with Metroid Zero Mission. Only took a couple of minutes to lock up.

Until then it was working amazingly well, practically fullspeed (55+FPS) with great sound, at 240mhz.

I have the problem with Metroid Zero Mission as well -- the whole emulator locks up and I have to hard reset the GP2X. I'm not thinking its an issue with the ROM, as the same image works flawlessly in my GBA via a flash cartridge. I tried lowering the over-clock, but that seemed to have little impact. For what it's worth. . .Zero Mission seems to freeze at the points where one picks up new items -- its inconsistent, but it mostly seems to be at those points.

Thats just coincidence. Start up any game, just leave it, do nothing
watch, give it long enough, it freezes. There is a bug in this version, at least, that causes the emulator to lock up randomly :S

Hi all,

I am back from the day out and about. I am continuing work on gpSP2X now. Tommorow will most likely be less active as I have commercial work to do that day.

I plan to add static register allocation to the dynarec today and get speed way up. :) Let's hope I can get it done today as I will be wanting to get it done before commercial work or Ill want to work on the dynarec all that time. ;)

Time for me to catch up on the thread. If you need to contact me feel free to send a PM, for whatever it may be.

Thanks. :)

Ok, time to fix the 'serious bug' reported first. Then add performance. Since this bug is considered a show stopper in my opinion I'm giving it a high priority. I'm using Zero Mission to test now. I'll get right on it.

zodttd posted on Mar 10 2007 at 10:41 PM said:
Ok, time to fix the 'serious bug' reported first. Then add performance. Since this bug is considered a show stopper in my opinion I'm giving it a high priority. I'm using Zero Mission to test now. I'll get right on it.

I love you ZodTTD !!! Thanks for your hard works, I'm monitoring this thread at each 2 min even If I have a DS and thus I can play game without emulation but, the gp2x is too cool !

Thanks you,
paxl13

I too have a DS, but this is something you just have to do y'know lol GBA on a GP handheld, I brought a GP32 in hope of GBA a loooooonnnnnnngggggggg time ago :p GP2x will finally fulfill my dream thanks to Zodttd.

zodttd posted on Mar 10 2007 at 07:25 AM said:
Oh, which game was it that was needed for someone to impress his girlfriend? I think it was Golden Sun 1 or 2. I need to get that working so he can score.
Now that's what I call dedication to the scene! :lol:

Much respect zodttd! I've been entertained just reading this thread. Can't wait to give this a try. I love to see this kind of enthusiasm for a project on this platform. So glad I got the GP2X.

My donation is in. Thanks a lot for your hard work!!!!

Back