[gpsp] Exophase Has Done It Again! Incredible!

Exophase said:
Okay, I think I'll try to get a release out tomorrow. We can all consider it "public beta" and not necessarily stable.
Cool, is there anyway that border image support could be added for the unscaled mode?

Thanks for the great work on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
Dave, NO. There are more important things to be done on this emulator than a crummy border image that 3/10000 people will use.

Is there many people that don't use scaling yet?? :p (apart from daveC of course)

Still waiting anxiously... :)

EDIT: never mind, it's already out!

EDIT: That was not what I was expecting... ;) :)

reiboul said:
Is there many people that don't use scaling yet?? :p (apart from daveC of course)
I'm very happy with 1:1. It's a decent size on the GP2X.

-Sagrado- said:
Still waiting anxiously... :)

EDIT: never mind, it's already out!
what is out ???
a second april release?? or the first april one ???? :lol:

reiboul said:
sam fisher said:
Dave, NO. There are more important things to be done on this emulator than a crummy border image that 3/10000 people will use.

Probably alot except you and Sam, the blocky scaling looks awful.

DaveC said:
reiboul said:
sam fisher said:

Probably alot except you and Sam, the blocky scaling looks awful.

Scaling is not an option for me :)
I prefer for now ,unscaled mode, for a mile away.Althuoght it has gone slightly better in this last release.

Scaling is crap, I agree. Will be slightly better with fixed aspect ratio, but still crap :p

I HATE non-integer nearest neighbor scaling.

*feels lonely with his scaling* :unsure:

Too bad I can't try the new release until this evening (it's 8h30 in France), but it seems you did a great job! congratulation ;)

I'm against unfiltered scaling but I think a background image makes the display area actually look a bit smaller. It took me ages to realise and delete my surrounds from other emus.

It would be great if the scaling was like this:
52059.jpe Click for fullsize

And not like this:
52060.jpe Click for fullsize

But I bet scaling like that would be impossible for GP2X processor as the GBA emulation itself isn't even fullspeed >.<

Scaling can be done quickly as the GP2X has scaling option built onto the chip. The problem is the colour has to be converted to use the smooth scaler (IIRC)
And it's not clear how to use the smooth scaling either. Anyway the main point is that scaling almost comes for "free", but what's the point if we don't know how to access that functionality.

PokeParadox said:
Scaling can be done quickly as the GP2X has scaling option built onto the chip. The problem is the colour has to be converted to use the smooth scaler (IIRC)
And it's not clear how to use the smooth scaling either. Anyway the main point is that scaling almost comes for "free", but what's the point if we don't know how to access that functionality.
I'm kinda surprised scaling like that isn't done for some of the emulators of older platforms. Since they use palettes with no potential for color effects at all you can use whatever color space you want without much overhead (if they can change the palette this means converting palette writes on the fly, but the palette isn't usually written to very much compared to the amount of pixels on the screen). I guess the downside is that the color format is 32bpp, I think..

For this to work in gpSP you'd have to be able to do alpha blending within the color space as well, but I don't think that'd work very well.

Well hey, I'm writing an NES emulator from scratch right now (don't expect miracles or even a release guys, nowhere near done yet, mostly a personal project anyway, etc ;P ) and I'm coding it to output to YUV color for that reason.

Mudi said:
Well hey, I'm writing an NES emulator from scratch right now (don't expect miracles or even a release guys, nowhere near done yet, mostly a personal project anyway, etc ;P ) and I'm coding it to output to YUV color for that reason.
I look forward to this, even if it takes 10-15 years :p I love NES!!!! WOO!

@Exophase

i would like to ask a bunch of questions about 2d filters like Scale2x,2xSaI,2xBilinear,hq2x

1. what is the "fastest" filter for scaling (minimal overhead)
2. what filter produces the "best" scaling (true to original bitmap)
3. would any algorithms maybe be used in your emu ?

in my opinion Scale2x wins for being true to original but is the algorithm fast enough to be usable in the Psp or Gp2x version of your emu ?

Back