Pics Of Final Keymat

EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:
Sheesh, is it so hard to use "Align to baseline" in whatever vector drawing program was used to produce the keyboard layout? It looks like the characters were placed randomly and then aligned by eyeballing them into place. And I who thought there were enough Inkscape tutorials out there by now... :p

They are aligned to baseline ;)
Just don't forget on this picture that there's a concave transparent plastic over them ;)
Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh there because I know you're doing a great job, but it really looks like the "<" and ">" characters are misaligned, still... Is the font broken then, somehow? Or maybe the keymat screening machine?

BTW, the IOR of the plastic can max be 1.6, so the concaveness of it shouldn't alter the appearance of the glyphs that drastically.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like its misaligned slightly but its certainly not worth more delays...

EDIT! did any one notice you can see MWeston taking the picture in every single key's reflection!?!

EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:
Sheesh, is it so hard to use "Align to baseline" in whatever vector drawing program was used to produce the keyboard layout? It looks like the characters were placed randomly and then aligned by eyeballing them into place. And I who thought there were enough Inkscape tutorials out there by now... :p

Just don't forget on this picture that there's a concave transparent plastic over them ;)
Uhmm, that's something I wanted to know. Is it that plastic quite thick, enough for some lensing effect to happen? (ie. like the surface with the letters being flat with the transparent plastic on top to give the concave shape)

For a while I though it was just a thin film like cover for protection and to give that glossy look, but now I'm not sure. If it is quite thick, then it will look very, very cool.

Yoyobuae said:
EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:

Uhmm, that's something I wanted to know. Is it that plastic quite thick, enough for some lensing effect to happen? (ie. like the surface with the letters being flat with the transparent plastic on top to give the concave shape)

For a while I though it was just a thin film like cover for protection and to give that glossy look, but now I'm not sure. If it is quite thick, then it will look very, very cool.

Mmm agreed, kinda like an iPod original kinda look going on.

dflemstr said:
Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh there because I know you're doing a great job, but it really looks like the "<" and ">" characters are misaligned, still...

yep i see that too now. hope its as you say. but its most likely a misalignment

Looks nice.The keymat is just placed at an angle on the table,i think.Making it look like the keys are misaligned.
The < > left and right keys look symetrical to me anyways.

greendots said:
It does look like its misaligned slightly but its certainly not worth more delays...

EDIT! did any one notice you can see MWeston taking the picture in every single key's reflection!?!

If we had CSI-equipment, we could use those reflections to get a hd-picture of the new cases ^^

The only thing Im worried about is if the rubber sheet will split around the buttons. This has happened on some of my old controllers under a few months use. I have taken to adding a very thin layer of oil to prevent them from wearing/drying out. I dont think I can do this to the Pandora with any real confidence.

Stupid question : I think I've asked this before, but I've forgotten the answer. What's the purpose of the section sign on SHIFT-1? I think I've gone my whole life without ever typing one. Are they popular in some non-English language that I'm ignorant of?

VRAndy said:
Stupid question : I think I've asked this before, but I've forgotten the answer. What's the purpose of the section sign on SHIFT-1? I think I've gone my whole life without ever typing one. Are they popular in some non-English language that I'm ignorant of?
You live in a country without paragraphs? Lucky you. Here in germany, we have enough for everyone.

conso said:
You live in a country without paragraphs? Lucky you. Here in germany, we have enough for everyone.

In the US we use the pilcrow for paragraphs. I don't know the SHIFT-1 symbol except that I think The Sims used it to reference money...

SoleGrave said:
The only thing Im worried about is if the rubber sheet will split around the buttons. This has happened on some of my old controllers under a few months use. I have taken to adding a very thin layer of oil to prevent them from wearing/drying out. I dont think I can do this to the Pandora with any real confidence.

I wonder if mineral oil would work... some folks have a whole computer submerged in a fish tank with the stuff, and have had no problems.

VRAndy said:

I've seen it as footnote indicator before in printed type...

If you have no use for it, you can use it as the double-snake symbol for your local drug-dealer.

conso said:
VRAndy said:
I live in Canada... I can safely say I've never seen that symbol before. Given the lack of real-estate on the keymat, was that one character really more important than some of the other ones people wanted?

conso said:
A little late to ask that question...
Well, you seem to be justifying it's existence, I am asking why you are justifying it over them having made another choice... not asking for it to change. E.g. *is* it more important than another choice? Serious question, not a troll. I am just wondering if I am somehow missing something important by never having seen it or used it.

Edit: Lol @ VRAndy. I like the way you think... I am gonna too, even though I still have no idea wtf it is.

It kinda looks like two S's one umm doing something lewd to the other... um something with the word salad in it, that I shall not name.

As soon as I get my Pandora I'm going to use that symbol all over the place.

Back