Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted Miriad. Reasons: I think that "DragonBox's Miriad" sounds good :), is not very long, rolls ok off the tongue and is pronunciable in at least English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese (miriado?).
And it sounds good in PL, too.. 

BTW. Pyra in PL means potato :D

Okay... added pyra as well...

This is definitely more confusing and harder than I imagined.

Whatever you do, someone complains :)
There are certain times when your going to have to make a decision yourself ED, not put it up for debate, and screw what everyone else thinks. That was one of the only things that Craig got right with the way he handled the Pandora (not constantly arguing about the little things). This strikes me as one of those times. Most of the people just seem to want to get to name it for bragging rites, not because they have any actual basis for choosing a good name.

I seriously doubt that you can find something that everyone agrees on, so just choose between you and the rest of the people that are actually making the device and doing the work.

I really don't see why more people haven't gone for something like Hydra personally.

That means "a mythical beast that grows an extra head when one is chopped off." Making it very hard to kill. Just like the Pandora and its community.

That would appease all the people that want a dragon name, all the people that want something to do with mythology and everyone else that doesn't give a f**k.

Anything that needs a full wiki article to explain it is bad IMO. People hear Pyra, they think of pyrotechnics/fire. Not good for an electronic device.

Choose something that does not end up with 311000 hits on google so it gets impossible to google it when you search info.

Choose something that does not end up with 311000 hits on google so it gets impossible to google it when you search info.
The most people that are into this type of device will hear about it on forums and tech sites anyway. It will climb up the search engines the more popular it becomes. I don't really see that as a problem.

@trip

There is something that is appealing about having a theme like dragons etc. Each iteration would then use a name following that theme. Kind of like how Android uses different sweet names for its releases

@trip

There is something that is appealing about having a theme like dragons etc. Each iteration would then use a name following that theme. Kind of like how Android uses different sweet names for its releases
Understood. But by using any type of mythical beast instead of just dragons, your opening up many more possibilities for good names. Most dragon names aren't that good for this type of thing unfortunately, so why back yourself into a corner?

p.s. They only need to get this first name right, all others after it will be fine once the reviews are out etc. and people have had a chance to actually use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's call it: 11001001

Numbers can't be trademarked (well... movies, mp3 and co. are binary in some form and they can be, so...)

If choosing a name is this hard , imagine trying to get consensus on HW features :)

Anyone else using an iPad or iPhone have Miriad auto correcting to Miriam, does it every time for me.

Ah cool Pyra was added, so shifted to that.. Although I'm still voting for Miriad as well just because "DragonBox DragonFly" seems silly.

Anyone else using an iPad or iPhone have Miriad auto correcting to Miriam, does it every time for me.
iOS keyboards ought to learn once you've corrected it a few times...don't they?

A general note for people umming and aahing in here - observe that the poll is a tickbox poll, not a radio button poll. In other words, if you can't settle on one, you can vote for all the ones you least object to. Hell, you could vote for them all except one if there's just one you really hate.

I like that too, although the DB1 is also the name of an Aston Martin car.
If P2 is compared to an aston-martin car, I think it's good publicity
I totally agree: I just don't want ED to spend money on lawyers/court-cases/changing designs if the DB1 name is copyright/trademarked to Aston Martin. Out of all the names mentioned so far the DB or DB1 is definitely my fave.

@Levi

Yes then no, it's back to auto correcting it to Miriam.

Didn't realize you could select several choices, have gone back and done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back