Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

DRIVER! Oh how I have missed you! It has been a while since I last saw it on PS1 :D

that is AWESOME. just awesome. you're not very good at it though are you...crashing into that wall :p if driver 2 runs like that I shall lose hours of my life :D

oh, yodaofborg- it is no good as linux (ubuntu) refuses to mount my CD rom drive with the disc in it.

what clock speed was that though?

Hmm, I don't use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure I can help there, it is a Debian, but they do some weird stuff with the driver modules sometimes... But if you installed it, you must have done it from a CD, so uhum, maybe the automount script is borked?

Do you know how to manually mount your CD? Would usually involve these steps.

CODE

$> sudo su
$> mkdir /media/cdrom
$> mount -t auto /dev/hdc1 /media/cdrom

And if it gives you an error like *hdc already mounted on /foo* then just use foo!

Out of interest, what does the command dd if=/dev/hdc1 of=./test.iso say ?

Javaguy said:
DRIVER! Oh how I have missed you! It has been a while since I last saw it on PS1 :D

that is AWESOME. just awesome. you're not very good at it though are you...crashing into that wall :p if driver 2 runs like that I shall lose hours of my life :D

oh, yodaofborg- it is no good as linux (ubuntu) refuses to mount my CD rom drive with the disc in it.

what clock speed was that though?
LOL well its quite hard you know trying to concentrate on the camara and driving at the same time :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
@reiboul- you mean driver could be better than on that video?! My gp2x will only go up to 260 mhz it seems.

@tim- thats no excuse. it wasnt even a small un-noticable wall :p

@yodaofborg- my CD drive usually works fine on Ubuntu, automounting wise. ...

whoa stop press, oddity happened. in "Computer" there was a device called floppy 1, that appeared from nowhere... well, I clicked on it and it came up with an error but then showed a DVD rom drive. Upon clicking that I was simply directed to the filesystem, but the Cdrom directory in there had the stuff on ! :D I shall try the ISO thing now.

I used debian for a while beforehand, and that was the same- it was a bit funny about mounting things.. though that was with a different CD drive :/

Just recorded a video of Resident Evil 1 on the latest release, pretty much playable, with sound its ok but lags more. OC was 275Mhz. Will edit when its uploaded.

I'm, like, playing FFVII in my hand! Woo! This is going to eat up so much of my nonexistant free time :)

Zod, what's the recommended psx underclock? Or, rather: I imagine the underclock is to be dependent on something else, I.e. I should aim for clocking the psx cpu so that it matches some multiple of the gp2x cpu or something like that, yes? No? Maybe?

A small digression into hairy details and emulator theory would make me happy here :D

Javaguy said:
@reiboul- you mean driver could be better than on that video?! My gp2x will only go up to 260 mhz it seems.

I don't remember seeing the PSX cpu beeing underclocked in the Driver and GTA videos!

By pressing Right trigger + vol+/- you can overclock/underclock the emulated PSX cpu, thus allowing it to be "more easily emulated", and it can bring a great performance gain ;)
(it has nothing to do with your GP2X cpu speed)

awesome!

tim- please make another video of driver with underclocking, I really want to see that :D heh, if its not too much trouble. You can redeem your driving skills too!

yodaofborg- I tried your archive commandline thing and got this:

javaguy@javaguy-desktop:~$ mkisofs -J -o hiddenanddangerous.iso /cdrom
Warning: creating filesystem with (nonstandard) Joliet extensions
but without (standard) Rock Ridge extensions.
It is highly recommended to add Rock Ridge
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: Symlink /cdrom ignored - continuing.
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 0
180 extents written (0 MB)
javaguy@javaguy-desktop:~$
javaguy@javaguy-desktop:~$

and it gave me an empty ISO... Im sure I got the path right..

Did you actually reduced PSX clock speed? it brings a huge performance increase ;)

no i dint i feel stupid now becuase i dont know how :p so how do you do that? :unsure:

I'd use cdrdao for CD ripping under Linux. First do something like:

cdrdao scanbus

to find the bus number and stuff for your cd reader/writer. Then something along the lines of:

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile FFVII1.bin --device ATA:1,0,0 FFVII1.toc

...given that the scanbus returned ATA:1,0,0 as the adress for your reader. And, well, you might change the filenames if you're not ripping FF VII :)

You might want to run these commands as root.

If you're still having trouble, you should copy-paste the output of scanbus. It does seem that something is slightly fishy in your install or hardware setup...

tim0391 said:
no i dint i feel stupid now becuase i dont know how :p so how do you do that? :unsure:

By pressing Right trigger + vol+/- you can overclock/underclock the emulated PSX cpu, thus allowing it to be "more easily emulated", and it can bring a great performance gain wink.gif

you should read more carefully ;)

Moxie- I got this from the cdrdao

javaguy@javaguy-desktop:~$ cdrdao scanbus
Cdrdao version 1.2.1 - &copy; Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
SCSI interface library - &copy; Joerg Schilling
Paranoia DAE library - &copy; Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.

I think there was an error trying to open /dev/scd0 :p

Javaguy said:
and it gave me an empty ISO... Im sure I got the path right..
Try Smart Projects Isobuster

http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php

It is totally free, just choose "free functionality only" when you first run it.

If it runs into read errors choose "replace with user data all zeroes" and then click "apply selection every time" it will take a while, but you will get an ISO.

Be sure to test the ISO with ePSXe or some other emu that can load a disk image.

reiboul said:
Did you actually reduced PSX clock speed? it brings a huge performance increase ;)

Javaguy said:
tim0391 said:

By pressing Right trigger + vol+/- you can overclock/underclock the emulated PSX cpu, thus allowing it to be "more easily emulated", and it can bring a great performance gain wink.gif

thanks javaguy now i can redo that video and redeem my self :)

hooray! thanks everyone!

nubie- I shall download it now.

tim- get driving :D

Im looking forward to the ending of my 50p driver 2 game on ebay :D one day to go.

Moxie said:
I'm, like, playing FFVII in my hand! Woo! This is going to eat up so much of my nonexistant free time :)

Zod, what's the recommended psx underclock? Or, rather: I imagine the underclock is to be dependent on something else, I.e. I should aim for clocking the psx cpu so that it matches some multiple of the gp2x cpu or something like that, yes? No? Maybe?

A small digression into hairy details and emulator theory would make me happy here :D
There is no "underclock" default.... theroically 100% sould be the usual, bu as many psx games usally were waith for the gpu ti finish, the dont need all the 32mhz of the main r3000a cpu, so if you put underclok on 50% you are simulatin a psx @ 16mhz, so its emulated faster.

This works fine if games can "run" on time with that speed clock... because if you underclok too much you are not lettin the gama cpu enough to generate a frame so it may even go slower..

Ideally start with underclok at 100% go down while you gain fps "in game", and put it a bit up of that.

I forgot, I just fixed a gte bug that broke Tony Hawks Pro Skater textures... Till next week I'll not be able to ppli to the current develompt tree, and I would like to test other gamas as may be some thing else brokes...

Rhapsody isn't really running, either. It goes to a black screen where you can here some music, and then after a while if you press start it goes to a whacked out start screen that's all torn apart and glitche, and then crashes.

right ok i have uploaded it this time i left the sound on just to show you what it is like plus i left out the intro stuff so it is straight on to the driver menu enjoy :)

link

Javaguy said:
tim0391 said:

Moxie- I got this from the cdrdao

javaguy@javaguy-desktop:~$ cdrdao scanbus
Cdrdao version 1.2.1 - © Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
SCSI interface library - © Joerg Schilling
Paranoia DAE library - © Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

I think there was an error trying to open /dev/scd0 :p

i also get that error when my drive is mounted unmount it and try again
or else it could be 2 instances that tries to use /dev/scd0 check your running programs

Back