Psx4gp2x Public Beta 4 Released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they are using both cores. There were posts about why it was very difficult to do it etc. so find those posts :)

Legend of Mana still works pretty well it is playable though is very slow. I think maybe in a few releases it will be pretty much playable.

STTrife posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:11 AM said:
I don't think they are using both cores. There were posts about why it was very difficult to do it etc. so find those posts :)

This forum is so incredibly sloppy it would take me weeks to find it. Honestly, why don't emulators get their own section? Whats the point of 2 cores if nobody uses them!??:angry:. If somebody could link me to why second cores are impossible or very hard to impliment, please help me out.

I'm sorry. I know I sound pretty demanding. But the gp2x has been pretty dissapointing lately. And I'm probably going to sell it now that gamepark holdings announced they are coming out with a 275/core version. Which is complete fucking bullshit. Now developers won't know which direction to code towards. "should I code with the 275 in mind? Or should I code for the 200/core model?"

Too confusing, Huge potential, Sloppy scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
gone postal posted on Oct 28 2006 at 11:36 PM said:
STTrife posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:11 AM said:

This forum is so incredibly sloppy it would take me weeks to find it. Honestly, why don't emulators get their own section? Whats the point of 2 cores if nobody uses them!??:angry:. If somebody could link me to why second cores are impossible or very hard to impliment, please help me out.

I'm sorry. I know I sound pretty demanding. But the gp2x has been pretty dissapointing lately. And I'm probably going to sell it now that gamepark holdings announced they are coming out with a 275/core version. Which is complete fucking bullshit. Now developers won't know which direction to code towards. "should I code with the 275 in mind? Or should I code for the 200/core model?"

Too confusing, Huge potential, Sloppy scene.
Code it yourself, douchebag. And the GP2x 275 version is the same console, just guaranteed to be 275mhz.

Sloppy scene? It's your info that is sloppy... The basic gist of why 2 cores aren't in every emulator yet is that it's hard to use. The 2 cores have to share the same RAM so if you have both cores trying to do things that need a lot of RAM access you'll actually get a performance DECREASE. So basically it's working out the ideal tasks to offload to the 2nd core.

The GP2X has been dissappointing lately? I don't see that myself, PicoDrive dualcore was fairly recent, so was an update to SquidgeSNES, there is Amiga emulation with a faster core on the horizon with UAE4ALL. The scene does slow down sometimes, get used to it, people have lives etc.

You are confused about this 275MHz GP2X. They are the same as the 200MHz GP2X! The only difference is that time has been taken to test them to ensure they can overclock to 275MHz and be stable. They are certainly no different to code for...

It's the exact same console you've been able to buy all along. The only difference is someone has decided to test each individual machine to see how high they can overclock and then sell them for more money if they reach 275.

Heh, what a way to bump a thread! :p

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around. What use to be a quick port here and there of some PocketPC / Palm games is becoming a large commercial effort.

I haven't been in touch with Unai, Chui, and Tinnus lately. I imagine they're eager to hear from me as well, as they've been waiting patiently for me to submit some code changes.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the awesome people of the GP2X scene, I wouldn't be here. My work with psx4all sure would be easier if the GP2X started with even a stock 416MHz ARM XScale processor. The GP2X hardware isn't what I hoped for, but you can't deny the people of this scene, the programmers and those who support their software...they're the best. :)

I'm unsure of the status of psx4all right now... The roadmap from what I can see, shows that psx4all is in a huge need of a "start-over" and build it with the knowledge gained from our expierences so far. That means a lot of time and effort. I will talk to Unai, especially, and see if we can do it.

Meanwhile, in the time since my last post, I've completed over 3 commercial games. I also am writing a new port of PPC TTD and Palm TTD (and possibly a GP2X TTD), and making a dynarec for the DOSBox team that will be compatible with the GP2X. I'm pretty swamped with work.

I just didn't want to leave anyone thinking I've abandoned everyone. I'm around, just really busy with projects.

Glad your commercial ventures are doing so well, zodttd. Always nice to see talented people being rewarded for their work!

A serious answer to gone_postal, although he hardly deserves it:

The GP2X's second core is mainly used for video decoding, since the device is also marketed as a media player. However, people such as Notaz have found other uses for the second core, such as sound processing in emulation.

ALL GP2X's are 200mhz models. Every single one. Some can overclock higher. All of them can reach 240mhz, and most can go to 266mhz. gp2x.co.uk are selling models that they have tested to reach 275mhz, but *any* GP2X has a chance of reaching that high--these particular models are identical in every other way.

Mine reaches 275mhz, and I bought it in Australia a couple of months ago.

great to hear your are not gone zodttd :) I also started over from scratch on some projects and can I say: just do it. I'll be far less work then you think because you already know exactly what to build, and you have much more confidence in your own code at the end and feel better about working on it!
Se we'll be patient, if you think you need to restart from scratch just do it!

Yeah, I also totally applaud your efforts. This PSX emu on the GP2X is so close to being playable it hurts. However, it seems as though it's also one of the most challenging projects as well.

Anyways, I sincerely hope that you'll continue the project.

PokeParadox posted on Oct 28 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
Sloppy scene? It's your info that is sloppy... The basic gist of why 2 cores aren't in every emulator yet is that it's hard to use. The 2 cores have to share the same RAM so if you have both cores trying to do things that need a lot of RAM access you'll actually get a performance DECREASE. So basically it's working out the ideal tasks to offload to the 2nd core.

The GP2X has been dissappointing lately? I don't see that myself, PicoDrive dualcore was fairly recent, so was an update to SquidgeSNES, there is Amiga emulation with a faster core on the horizon with UAE4ALL. The scene does slow down sometimes, get used to it, people have lives etc.

You are confused about this 275MHz GP2X. They are the same as the 200MHz GP2X! The only difference is that time has been taken to test them to ensure they can overclock to 275MHz and be stable. They are certainly no different to code for...

I belong to several "actual scenes"

Xbox modding scene is where i specialize

I even helped fix a build of krazie ndure softmod installer. I don't know how to code but I will learn in the future. I see this console going nowhere though. It's a big hype. You see people pop a boner because it's opensource. Well, you guys are doin alright but there's a lot of crap goin on.

You have to dig through this damn forum to find a simple answer that should ALREADY be stickied. the waste of the extra core is a very real frustration on my end. Hell, I don't want to bring up the psp/gp2x war but honest to god THIS GOD DAMN SCREEEN IS SO SMALL, WHATS THE POINT!? The music output is terrible with both speaker and headphones when you crank the jams just a little up. The glare on the screen and the lack of backlight is enough to send me through the roof.\

Hurray for a photoviewer that works and a ebook reader that barely works without 3rd party support. I bought this thing because I heard it was a good multimedia device. But you can't even get a decent snes emulator working!

Oh and let's not forget.

WHATS THE POINT OF IT BEING PORTABLE IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT IN THE SUN!?!? 320x240. That's cute.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the awesome people of the GP2X scene, I wouldn't be here. My work with psx4all sure would be easier if the GP2X started with even a stock 416MHz ARM XScale processor. The GP2X hardware isn't what I hoped for, but you can't deny the people of this scene, the programmers and those who support their software...they're the best. smile.gif

Is it just me or does the dev agree with me that the dual core is useless? Could be wrong but I fuckin doubt it....

Edit: I don't mean this towards the psx project at all. But you guys really need to clean up your act if you ever plan on making this thing worth the money. This project and craigamp are the two programs that made me decide to give it a few more months and not dump it back on ebay.

Keep up the good work man. I'm going to upload the videos on youtube when I can and I hope they'll help.

omg, take a chill pill, crazy man.

The fact that the GP2X does not use both CPUs at the same time very well is something that gets repeated over and over and over and over. If you were really in this scene for more then a week, you would have worked it out by now. If you're just a user, you shouldn't care if both cores are used or not.

gone postal posted on Oct 30 2006 at 12:50 AM said:
You have to dig through this damn forum to find a simple answer that should ALREADY be stickied. the waste of the extra core is a very real frustration on my end. Hell, I don't want to bring up the psp/gp2x war but honest to god THIS GOD DAMN SCREEEN IS SO SMALL, WHATS THE POINT!? The music output is terrible with both speaker and headphones when you crank the jams just a little up. The glare on the screen and the lack of backlight is enough to send me through the roof.\

Hurray for a photoviewer that works and a ebook reader that barely works without 3rd party support. I bought this thing because I heard it was a good multimedia device. But you can't even get a decent snes emulator working!

Oh and let's not forget.

WHATS THE POINT OF IT BEING PORTABLE IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT IN THE SUN!?!? 320x240. That's cute.

jesus christ. go ahead and sell your gp2x and get banned

icurafu posted on Oct 30 2006 at 12:07 AM said:
omg, take a chill pill, crazy man.

The fact that the GP2X does not use both CPUs at the same time very well is something that gets repeated over and over and over and over. If you were really in this scene for more then a week, you would have worked it out by now. If you're just a user, you shouldn't care if both cores are used or not.

How do you "work this out". Since I'm so crazy. Please instead of saying that it's not a problem. Do go on about a solution.

A dual core essentially is a splitting of a processor to enable better performance. Used in pc's mostly for multi-tasking forground and background information. Such as the new cell processor has 8 cores it can calculate things faster because instead of one road there are 9.

Now let's get to the nitty gritty. we have 2 cores boasted at 200 mhz. Which if they functioned correctly or could be used for more then videos or sound processing (which they don't seem to be able to) well that's a waste of 200 mhz. So why didn't they just build 1 cpu? This isn't rocket science :lol:

It was stupid on there part and it was stupid for me to buy into the hype. I feel ashamed of myself and a little dead inside to be honest. I was hoping to take my videos on the road not have to squint at the screen. The video that gamepark showed with all the emulators gave me hope that I could take ff3 on the road and eventually the psx after bug fixes. I was hoping that the e-book reader would work. I was hoping that I could use it as a mp3 player (g'luck with that shitty output).

I was hoping for a decent multi-media device. So instead of calling me crazy even though I've listed all these things that are wrong with the system. Why don't you take a brave move and tell me whats right with it?

judging by the latest 'benchmarks' from dual core enabled picodrive and other programs, i must say the second processor is everything but useless! its hard to get around its limitations but once you get around it, you can see a very nice speed boost!

Well it plays videos, music and text files fine. That sounds like a good multimedia player to me. Plus it has the bonus of playing full speed genises neo geo and gameboy. Also people have been able to properly use the second core, and what about the second core do you need to make it a "decent multi-media device". Dont buy it then complain about it later, you should have been on these forums before buying it so you could be informed about its flaws. Dont be such a hater and just sell it if its a source of constant rage for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back