Working On A Dynarec For Gpsp For The Gp2x

GunPei2X posted on Mar 1 2007 at 08:31 PM said:
Looks like CT Special Forces?
Bingo. There are 3 of them, though I prefer the third (screenshot) the best because it's the most balanced (and parachuting isn't really that bad either.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry for the wait...I actually got stuck doing an OpenTTD port for esoftinteractive.com and a different project of theirs. I've also got a new gadget for commercial work called a TAVI. Since sleep is always optional, I'm getting some time in on gpSP for the GP2X right now.

Btw, I have been way too busy to keep up on things, and I'm still very interested in gpu940. I am on the mail list, but I am unsure of it's current status and whether it will help performance-wise for gpSP which currently uses paeyrns hardware SDL. I'm open to suggestions on optimizations. :)

In the meantime the dynarec is the priority. I might need to get Exophase's help if I'm to write one from the ground up. But hopefully I can adapt some code I have in the meantime and get something to finally work. ;)

Small steps towards a working dynarec but it's coming.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 3 2007 at 10:08 PM said:
Just keep at it. :) Sorry to hear you've been so busy.

it's better to be busy than have nothing to do

zodttd posted on Mar 3 2007 at 10:43 AM said:
Small steps towards a working dynarec but it's coming.

Thanks for the update, and good luck with everything.

Awesome, good job for people like you zodttd! The gp2x wouldn't be half as good as it is to own without the amazing devs.

Anyone know of any links that are good to show how emulators work and maybe give tips on how one might code one? I'd at least like to know how its done (and maybe code an emulator for something more simple)

*EDIT* went punctuation mad...

Goobers posted on Mar 3 2007 at 09:06 PM said:
Awesome at good job for people like you zodttd! The gp2x wouldn't be half as good as it is to own without the amazing devs.

Anyone know of any links that are good to show how emulators work and maybe give tips on how one might code one? I'd at least like to know how its done (and maybe code an emulator for something more simple)

*EDIT* went punctuation mad...

For learning how an emulator works and trying to port one I recommend AMOAD which specializes in single game arcade emulators. When you focus on a single game it makes it a lot easier to follow instead of say MAME.

Hi again,

Well I worked on the dynarec last night and got some scene demo's to start to display and some even responded to input. some of the the demo/games would display it's splash screen and crash and others would run and interact with the controls but wouldn't display completely correct.

I have a general feeling of what needs to be fixed. I can't make a good judgement on performance yet, of course...But by how fast it can run while debugging, it looks to be a good situation for those wanting a "fullspeed" GBA emulator.

This dynarec is taking much longer than expected, but part of it is due to other projects/work getting in the way. I apologize for that.

More news to come after I put some more time into this dynarec today. :)

zodttd posted on Mar 4 2007 at 02:05 PM said:
Hi again,

Well I worked on the dynarec last night and got some scene demo's to start to display and some even responded to input. some of the the demo/games would display it's splash screen and crash and others would run and interact with the controls but wouldn't display completely correct.

I have a general feeling of what needs to be fixed. I can't make a good judgement on performance yet, of course...But by how fast it can run while debugging, it looks to be a good situation for those wanting a "fullspeed" GBA emulator.

This dynarec is taking much longer than expected, but part of it is due to other projects/work getting in the way. I apologize for that.

More news to come after I put some more time into this dynarec today. :)

Thanks for the good work. No need to rush. We appreciate your efforts.

Don't think I've posted here in ages. Thanks for keeping up the good work ZodTTD. As ever, really looking forward to seeing the results as and when they come out!

I actually took a few moments to go back through the interpreter version of gpSP and got it fast enough that Mario Kart Super Circuit is only a bit slower than fullspeed. Problem is sound is having a hard time syncing at fullspeed, and when just a slight bit slower, it stutters and gets annoying. Turning off the sound output will gain more performance, but not enough to be 1:1 GP2X:GBA fullspeed.

I'm working on the dynarec again now. Wish me luck! ;P

Back