Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

Just for those who are taking videos and doing compat lists, especially for performance...wait a few minutes for this new release coming any moment now. ;)

Oh heck. By the time I saw this thread, the beta had started already.
Is it too late to get in? If so, I don't have a problem with waiting ^_^

Donated 13.97 (I don't a lot of money in my paypal account :) )

-Arch

zodttd posted on Mar 9 2007 at 01:55 AM said:
Just for those who are taking videos and doing compat lists, especially for performance...wait a few minutes for this new release coming any moment now. ;)
Well, I think I'm finally done with Linux and cleaning up my god awful room for the night, the rest of the night is free.

Now that I have a few examples to go by I'll start doing more tests ^^;;;;

FF4: Runs decently on normal areas, crappy sound in mode 7 modes such as airship rides etc.
Puzzle League: As before, runs at 90% speed, crappy sound, yellow palette.
Pokemon Saph: doesn't boot
Mario Golf: doesn't boot, duh.^^;;

I'll start getting onto more now.

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me start off by saying this is an amazing emulator and I have been very impressed with it's performance. I have rated the games like GunPei (Gameplay/Graphics/Sound). I also recorded what region these games are from, as in some games this seems to make a big difference; such as in Final Fight One the European one has issues with the sound stuttering and the US one did not. My settings for the emulator were: 266 Mhz, I had it stretched to fullscreen, and I didn't try any frame skipping on these.

Earthworm Jim (U) - A / A / C
The sound wasn't in sync, for example when you fire your gun a few seconds later it would make the sound.

Pitfall Mayan Adventure (U) - A / A / B

Rayman Advance (U) (M5) [I'm not sure what M5 means but I thought I should list it] - C / C / C
Runs pretty slow, the graphics are messed up on the menu and still screens. The sound stutters a lot too.

Final Fight One (E) - A / B / C
The background of the text boxes flash and the sound stutters a lot. Also it froze on one occasion, a few seconds in to the intro.

Final Fight One (U) - A / A / A
This version of the rom ran flawlessly.

Klonoa - A / A / A

XMen: Reign of Apocalypse - A / A / B

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase - A / A / A

Doom (U) - C / B / C
This game suffered from a slow frame rate, blurry graphics, and stuttering sound.

Wario Land 4 (U) - A / A / A

Breath of Fire (U) - A / A / B
The sound was delayed on the menus.

Breath of Fire 2 (U) - A / A / B
Same issue as 1.

Dark Arena (UE) - N/A / C / C
The graphics were screwed up in game so I couldn't play it to give it a score for gameplay and the sound stuttered.

Sonic (E) (M5) - A / A / B

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear (U) (M5) - C / C / C
The graphics were screwed up, it had a slow frame rate and the sound was garbled.

Donald Duck's Adventure (U) - A / A / C
The sound was garbled.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (E) (M5) - A / A / B

Wolfenstein (U) - C / C / C

Spiderman (UE) - B / B / C
Ran slow and the sound was garbled.

Tactics Ogre (U) - B / B / C
Ran slow and had garbled sound.

Duke Nukem Advance ( U) - C / C / C
Suffered from massive slow down and garbled sound.

Turok Evolution (U) - A / A / B
Many times when you fire your gun it wouldn't make a sound. Also some other sounds didn't play when they were supposed to like enemies dieing or explosions.

Comix Zone (E) (M5) - B / A / C

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts (UE) - C / B / C

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (U) - N/A / C / C
The graphics were all scrambled and the sound stuttered.

Guilty Gear X Advance (E) - B / A / C
The sound stuttered and the game ran a little bit slow.

Doom 2 (U) - C / C / C
Massive slowdown and garbled sound.

Metroid Fusion (U) - A / A / A

Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (U) - A / A / A

Iron Man (E) - B / B / C
The graphics were screwed up on some of the cut scenes and the sound was garbled.

Sonic Advance 2 (U) (M6) - A / A / B
The sound stuttered

Dragon Quest Monsters (J) - A / A / A

Metal Slug (U) - A / A / B
The sound stuttered frequently.

Shining Soul 1 (U) - A / B / A
The graphics were screwed up on some of the menus.

Shining Soul 2 (U) - A / A / A

Medal of Honor Underground (E) (M4)
This game had horizontal lines running down the screen making it unplayable.

Both Wario Ware games had scrambled graphics.

Games that wouldn't boot:

Golden Sun (U)
Spider Man Mysterio's Menace (U)
Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (U)
Extreme Ghost Busters
Desert Strike Advance

I'm really amazed at the speed some of these games play....

Castlevania COTM like mentioned above works flawlessly other than sound.

FF Dawn of Souls works great , other than sound XD

pokemon sapphire still crashes the new version

trying other stuff out now.

update: dont know if its already been mentioned, but Wario ware gives a huuuuge garbled mess.

Yep, It is a amazing emulator ! :D :D :D

I don't have time to test now, since I need to go back to work.

I just test the Super Robot Taisen A, it is really good. everything is runng smooth. Only the sound quailty is little bit worst ( I think it would be the GP2X Problem).

Keep Up Good Work , Zodttd!!

Impressive. On v0.9002 at 270mhz and ram tweaks enabled, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (quite a demanding game) is fullspeed with decent sound at FS1, and very close to fullspeed at FS0!

You know, I have to admit....if not for the sound glitches, palette glitches, and incompatibility...this emulator is already showing signs of running faster than some of the more mature offerings for some of the emulators here... it's really amazing.

I can finally play panel de pon on my GP2X at a good speed. And yeah, it runs practically full speed at 200mhz.

Its not a big deal, but if those palettes can be fixed soon it'd be an incredible favor to me :3 I love having me some panel de pon on the go, sound or no sound.

Oh, and harvest moon runs practically full speed as well. A few glitches in rendering the menus but other than that, great stuff.

zodttd posted on Mar 9 2007 at 01:27 AM said:
Ok, I'm about to release a new version with CPU_SPEED embedded in the boot of gpSP2X, instead of the simple cpu overclock. This way you will be able to tweak the cpu/lcd/ram timings. It will also save the settings for next time so all you have to do is press select next time. :)

Oh, I also redid the MMU loading order so it loads before SDL_Init! Otherwise it's not active from what im aware of. :p

The problem there is that then the speed settings will be the same for everything. Since some games need more overclock than others you won't be able to change on the fly. I hope you will change that back to a GUI option. Again the best way will be to load parameters for everything automatically depending on what game you play (see PocketSNES)

Also the GUi is incredibly flaky. It took me five minutes of fiddling to figure out that you couldn't hold down a button too long or it would back you out of the command. You have to time it perfect or it will do the opposite of what you want. It was a game in itself to load something. My suggestion for the GUI is to look at DrMD, PocketSNES, and Pico drive (all similar) and just copy it. The source is available for a few of those so you you wouldn't have to write it from scratch.

The emu did run everything I threw at it. The framerate was decent. Since I can only go to 240 MHz though the sound was dreadful. It is totally linked to the speed as when nothing is going on the sound was ok, as soon as a few sprites came on it was a stuttery mess. I guess you know this already though.

It is an impressive job though. Dynarec is so complicated it is amazing that it runs as well as it does. Good work, can't wait to see how this progresses.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 9 2007 at 02:45 AM said:
Impressive. On v0.9002 at 270mhz and ram tweaks enabled, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (quite a demanding game) is fullspeed with decent sound at FS1, and very close to fullspeed at FS0!

Where do you get the .9002 from? Zod just sent me a link for the old one awhile ago but no new version

Last edited by a moderator:
Back