New Twitter Pics

I was wondering if the photos would happen today, and they did. I can't make much of them, what counts to me is what MWeston has to say about them. I think this must be before they're sent out to him.

I'm excited, if the green light is given then presumably the cases can start manufacture without interruption until the Chinese New Year and with the CE testing on the 28th, it's exciting times.

Thanks for the pictures Craig.

Dead1nside said:
I was wondering if the photos would happen today, and they did. I can't make much of them, what counts to me is what MWeston has to say about them. I think this must be before they're sent out to him.

I'm excited, if the green light is given then presumably the cases can start manufacture without interruption until the Chinese New Year and with the CE testing on the 28th, it's exciting times.

Thanks for the pictures Craig.

so.. dare I say we could have real mass produced pandora's sent to customers in.. 2 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely. It probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday that MWeston receives the new case samples. It'll take him a day or two to check them, so that brings us to Wednesday. If he OKs them, that only leaves a week for cases, extension cables, and keymats to be manufactured, shipped to Texas, assembled, and shipped out to customers. That's a bit optimistic, IMO.

Vorporeal said:
Unlikely. It probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday that MWeston receives the new case samples. It'll take him a day or two to check them, so that brings us to Wednesday. If he OKs them, that only leaves a week for cases, extension cables, and keymats to be manufactured, shipped to Texas, assembled, and shipped out to customers. That's a bit optimistic, IMO.
then at an optimistic perspective as well, IF they are shipped from america instead of going back to europe, then those in america and places west of us like Australia would get it around the second week of January to be safe

For the first 4000 can't they be assembled where they are needed? I guess they will only be assembled in two places, US and Europe, but can't the units be divided between those two places? Why do they all need to be assembled in one place? Will that save a lot of money?

RenegadeChic said:
jumpman said:
If I get mine before CES, I would love to take it to the show, and parade around with it! :p
if this happens, i dare you and any other pandora users to stand right next to the stalls of all the other MID, handheld and smartphone stalls and just play on your pandoras for a few hours. just quietly and subversively take it all over. it would be awesome

I'm down!

What happend to make us go from the cases **arriving** last weekend to cases just being **shipped** yesterday (I saw the update on the to-do list on the official website, but it seems to come from nowhere...)? I know Craig said that "if we're lucky" the cases would arrive with MWESTON this past weekend, but he still said this statement on the 16th, which seemed to imply that the cases were already in transit or would ship that day or so (how else could they get to MWeston by weekend?)? I'm guessing MWeston won't get these cases until early next week, so we just got another 1 to 1.5 week delay out of nowhere. I guess we got to the point where we are now because of these types of delays that pop out of nowhere and just REALLY add up if they keep happening (all the way to 1+ year).

I just don't know why Craig keeps using this trick of his of transforming and condensing whatever information he has on the current step into a 1 line sentence full of false optimism in order to appease all the people that have been disappointed in how long it's taken (reminder when he made that October estimate and Ed cleared things up? It's gotten to the point where I feel Craigix is stretching the truth and being so optimistic (perhaps even when he knows he should not be) almost enough to be telling white lies because he always wants people feeling good and never wants to admit they have been less than efficient, to say the lesat. I guess he fears that if he didn't give such optimistic estimates for the past 12+ months he would have much less orders now? I say just own up to how long this has taken and how less than ideal of a job has been done, and tell us what *you* know, not what you think we want to know (such as "The factory told us XXX needs to be done, and they are currently working on optimizing part YYY; if they finish YYY today, it is possible for MWeston to get the cases by this weekend," instead of "if we're lucky, MWeston will have the cases by this weekend" <--- because the last statement can and did cause everybody to expect MWeston to have the cases by weekend (just look at people's posts saying it's Saturday, where are the cases, etc.).

I guess I'm just frustrated since *somehow* we went from cases from 1 estimation of when cases will arrive, to another estimation of when they will ship, with no explanation in between, resulting in another delay. I think this situation is a summary of the Pandora's manufacturing/design from the consumer point of view. Is it just the result of inexperience and incompetence (I know Craigix will fight to the death saying that nobody that is not a huge corporate company could do this better than they have, but I'm sure there are designers out there that would have finished the case in a more timely manner, or at least recognized that it would take time -- remember when they set a deadline of January 15th for case tweaks to be finished?)?

From Craig's last Christmas Update:
The design and the whole process has proved to be so complex and difficult to fit in that little box and had we known back when we started this project just what would be involved we might have been a little more reserved - but **it's done now** and things will be all the better for it, I hope we have raised the bar - especially in the controls area, please try to be understanding to the team when it looks like we have taken a month to solve a simple issue. Trial and error can be a right - lengthy- pain in the arse sometimes.

Was it really done then?

I hope we will get another detailed Christmas update like we got last year.

JerryG20 said:
pro-tip, sceptical excitement. be glad that steps of progress are made but dont expect it to arrive til they are assembled. otherwise you just get disappointed

Pulling up quotes from last year isn't helpful. Sure we can look at them in hindsight and make all kinds of judgements, but the mistakes made then are completely irrelevant to the stage we're in now.

tell us what *you* know, not what you think we want to know (such as "The factory told us XXX needs to be done, and they are currently working on optimizing part YYY; if they finish YYY today, it is possible for MWeston to get the cases by this weekend," instead of "if we're lucky, MWeston will have the cases by this weekend" <--- because the last statement can and did cause everybody to expect MWeston to have the cases by weekend (just look at people's posts saying it's Saturday, where are the cases, etc.).
We can't expect them to give us a blow-by-blow account of their communications with China. Imagine all the extra threads, polls, ill-informed debate on every little detail. At the other end of the spectrum, we don't want the team staying off the boards for a week or more until they have "solid" information to release. So we get the middle ground; we're told what's happening and when things might arrive. The reason people get upset about "missed deadlines" like last weekend, is that they fail to comprehend what was said and instead pin all their hopes on a maybe.

The way I see it this can go two ways:
  • OpenPandora team adapt their updates, filtering out any uncertain piece of information (imagine what info would be left afterwards, nearly none)
  • We learn to interpret updates with a grain of salt, always being aware that delays will happen and not being overly optimistic with every one piece of information
I prefer the latter. We get more info, even if some/most of it isnt very certain.

JerryG20 said:
It's gotten to the point where I feel Craigix is stretching the truth

Craig posted these to quell some of the communities concerns of the refined parts progress.

I'm glad to see these pics as it means they are likely on their way to Michael or they are already in Regina, Canada for his inspection. Either is good news. ;)

Yoyobuae said:
The way I see it this can go two ways:
  • OpenPandora team adapt their updates, filtering out any uncertain piece of information (imagine what info would be left afterwards, nearly none)
  • We learn to interpret updates with a grain of salt, always being aware that delays will happen and not being overly optimistic with every one piece of information
I prefer the latter. We get more info, even if some/most of it isnt very certain.
+1

Back