Psx4gp2x Public Beta 5 Released

Yeah, this is definitely getting more and more mature. Still need to sort out batteries, then, I think, it's time to see how BoF 3 and Xenogears fare with it :D. Especially since a few alphas back, BoF3 was said to run close to full speed, and that was *before* this latest development!

Oh, btw: the memcard bug - it's not just a sync error, is it?

Woohoo! ZanacXZanac is running :)

Clockspeed: 266
Interlace: 1
Ram tweaks: On (though it was also running with them off)
Sound Off

Holding steady at 30fps. Probably I should play with the settings some more to squeeze a few more fps out of it, but I'm just happy to have it running in this release.

Thanks ZodTTD for the great work!

Graphical glithes are now gone from Spider-Man and it seems much faster, but now it crashes on the first level.

predatorramboxxx said:
predatorramboxxx said:
Rivroner said:
Mortal Kombat Trilogy looks incredible o_O
yeah it does i have av id on youtube earlier running pretty fast iam making a newone today of it running on beta 5.

ok my mkt running 45 -50 fps fullspeed 250mhz tweaks on more detailed settings showed at the end of vid when i play with clock and stuff.
look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cNEWZ7yis

Awesome, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:ph34r: Final Fantasy Tactics W Sound On :ph34r:

Fmv's - laggy music, anywhere from 5-11fps
Ingame beginning (after fmv intro) 10-13fps
Battefield - anywhere from 14-20fps

Psx clock: Default
Psx cycle: Two* (not one)
Tweaked ram settings - On
OC - 250

(using the default settings of psx4gp2x beta 5)

Im gonna mess around with the clock and cycle tonight, so we'll see what i get, repost the results tomorrow

(thnx zodttd, great work, i can see a big difference compared to the 7/12 in compatibility, seems to be coming along) B)

Also, i have noticed, in final fantasy tactics, when you get to the first battle field, the controls dont work, and this isnt because i was messing with the clock or cycles

i was just wondering about save states. is it in the works? in the emulator menu it says [disabled] next to the save, load options. anyone?
badass by the way having playstation on the gp2x

myshadow said:
i was just wondering about save states. is it in the works? in the emulator menu it says [disabled] next to the save, load options. anyone?
Goto the save state in the menu and yes it says (disabled) but only slot 0 is disabled, hit right, and move it to slot one, problem solved :lol:

MajorShake said:
myshadow said:
Goto the save state in the menu and yes it says (disabled) but only slot 0 is disabled, hit right, and move it to slot one, problem solved :lol:

ahh yes. im a moron. thanks

All testing at 290mhz w/ram timings and with interlace 0. FF7 in .bin/.cue format.

Music speeds up with a higher clock cycle.
Walking: Fps peaks at cycle 2
Menus: Fps peaks at cycle 2
Fmv: Fps peaks at cycle 2. Constant crackling in music (only during FMVs).
Battle winning menu (where it tells you exp and gil gained): higher cycle = more fps, but oddly after going past cycle 5, music begins to slow down, (after cycle 8, framerate is 90fps, but music and input polling disappear, game is still running).
Battles: Lower cycle = more fps, but not much difference between 1 and 2.
Also: after loading a save state, no sound available, and changing the cycle crashes the emulator.

W/O sound:
loading screen: higher cycle = more frames
savegame menu: fps peaks at cycle 4
fmv: fps peaks at cycles 3 - 4
walking: fps peaks at cycle 2
battle: fps doesn't seem to have any noticeable difference between cycles, crashes when cycle goes higher than 6.

Overall thoughts: definite potential here. It seems that w/sound, cycle 2 is the lucky number, and w/out sound, cycle 4 is king. Also, there is a real impact in scenes on the framerate depending on the number of characters on screen. In some places I found the fps at >50 walking around w/sound and in battle w/just cloud and one other (either enemy or Barret), the battles are near full speed w/sound. Also Zodttd, here's an issue even you may have trouble explaining: when I got to the first boss battle against that robot scorpion, I had standard battle music. The problem here is that it is a boss battle and is supposed to have it's own boss music. This is a good rip from the ff7 psx cds right next to me, so it isn't that. Savegames seem to work this time around, so good job (save states are iffy). Also, can you please have the next release terminate any noises going to the speakers when you load the menu? It is currently very annoying to make any changes with a loud sustained sound coming out.

New release of psx4gp2x on http://www.zodttd.com
It's now at build 071907. Be sure to leave feedback in the zodttd.com forums as well. The emulator is starting to really shape up. :)

devestation: I haven't fixed the sound issue you mentioned where it continues playing in the menu's. I'll try to fit that in, as it is very annoying. Check FF7 with this release, as there's some bugfixes and much more accurate timing.

Great release Zodttd,

Resident evil 3 gained at least 3Fps, now i'm @ 22-25 fps in game for the max, and about 11-13 when there is a lot of zombies.

Tested @ 266 1Cycle Psx Clock 100%

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Sorry Zodttd, I can't believe I forgot, my testing was done on your new build, 071907. Kudos to making the cycle change on the fly!

Also, on testing I noticed that whenever I load FF7 from the beginning, it pauses on the Squaresoft logo for about 10-13 seconds and is in a state of no input (even to get back to the menu). Also, the information stats of the emulator (fps, vsync, whatnot) are all scrunched and unreadable during this timeframe.

BTW, I can't wait to see Unai's frameskip in action. Frameskip 1 will really make this game fly!

Hi Zodttd,

Don't know if you already know but first, Resident Evil 1,2,3 work quite well on you emu, so thx it's a very good thing.

Then on RE2 some 2d screens are not showing, info screens or game selection screen.

thats all,

At least thx for all what you already done

bye

In Silent Hill 1 with built 071907 i have some grahic bugs, but with built 071607 i don't =(

wtfsu8.jpg

P.S.
Sorry for my camera and my english =)

Just got to the world map on FF VII, seems after just 1 fight on the world map, the emu hard locks. I have tried using different cycles on the world map, and differing clock speeds to get around this issue.

Great stuff though! I have a memcard save on the world map if you want it, but it is a Europe disk, not a US one.

A new release of PSX4GP2X has been made. Now we’re at Build 072407 and things are getting better and better. From the changelog.txt:

Version 072407
- Changed the way ROM support is handled. The following formats are currently supported:
.BIN - This is a RAW format rip of a CD. You can rip these with most tools such as CDRDAO or use a program IsoBuster to convert formats to RAW BIN format.
Note: MagicISO converted ISO’s are not supported, use IsoBuster.
.Z/.table - This is a compressed .BIN image using the tool PocketISO 2.1
.ZNX/.table - This is a compressed .BIN image using the tool PocketISO 2.1. ZNX is the default output of this tool when ripping out musics.
.bz/.index - This is a compressed .BIN image using the tool PocketISO.
- Made PsxCycle default to 1 instead of 2. This affects default performance settings of PsxClock.
- Unai added a Abe’s Oddysee specific fix to the graphics engine. Use this fix for Ae’s Oddysee only, otherwise you may see graphical glitches. It can be turned on and off via the menu.
- Unai added Frame Limiting to the graphics engine. It’s on by default and limits the Vsync to NTSC/PAL rates. It can be turned on and off via the menu.
- GCC compiler optimizations were made to improve performance.
- Changes to the dynarec to handle load delays. This may change compatibility for better or worse, to be determined. Also last minute fix for handling shift instructions.

THE RUN DOWN: Abe’s Oddysee has a fix that can be enabled via the menu. By using this fix, you can enjoy a very fast and perhaps fullspeed, fun game on the GP2X!

Be sure to get this new release at http://www.zodttd.com in the PSX4ALL download section. Help support the PSX4ALL project and be sure to register at the site. Thanks!

Bye

How do I get the latest release of this software. I can't find it on Zodttd's site even after registering. Is it gone now?

Back