New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

Thank you so much Zodttd !!! :)
I have a question:
How is the sound performance? For me in the last release there were a lot of games very playable , except for the laggy sound.
Thank you man.
A lot of people is wishing to do a massive donation ;) You deserve it :)

I'm working on sound as we speak. Sound performance is actually good now, but it's not in sync. It seems to go in chunks. I've made it better, and it's tweakable within the menu now (along with frameskip options etc...).

Glad to hear so many interested in this project. :)

many? I believe everyone has been lurking your topics for every bit of info there is!

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 07:51 PM said:
Glad to hear so many interested in this project. :)

ARE YOU KIDDING???! :lol: (i know you are)

This has to be the most eagerly awaited emulator for the GP2x EVER.

Thank you very much for your hard work on this emulator, it is very appreciated.

If the next version will be as promising as it sounds, I think we might have a pretty accurate emulator in less than 6months time.

This is indeed very exciting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear so many interested in this project.

I dont mean to scare you or anything, but I think all eyes are on you right now.

Hell, if you look out your window now, you might just see me :ph34r:

I don't recall how DaveC's skins looked, but here are a couple of my own that I just did. Please feel free to use them if you like. Thanks for your work, the emulator sounds like it's coming along nicely. :D

gba-silver.png

gba-black.png

Wow, cool. :)

My issue with sound is SDL's implementation of Mutex's/CV's on the GP2X. I'm using the latest HW SDL.

Without getting those conditions well timed, sound will be out of sync. I've got it pretty close, with only a slight pause every second or so. But it's pretty annoying still.

I spoke to Exophase and gave me some good tips on how to solve some minor bugs that affect some games right now. He's still active in the gpSP project. He did write gpSP from the ground up afterall. Doubt he can escape the project with so much time invested. ;)

Either way, sound can be disabled, with the bonus of a slight performance increase if needed. I'm not sure if I will be able to get sound synced in time without figuring out why SDL is giving me trouble with Mutex/CV's.

In the future sound might be able to be moved to the second core, but it probably won't be needed.

I have a lot more ways to optimize this dynarec. It will only get better, and it's already pretty good. :)

I found out the problem with Mutex's/CV's and sound is working better. Fixes are coming fast. :)

Exophase and I are talking about future improvements to the dynarec. This is definitely fun now. :)

NightShadow posted on Mar 6 2007 at 09:05 PM said:
This has to be the most eagerly awaited emulator for the GP2x EVER.

What about PSX?? I've just started playing Oddworld again on epsxe B)

Anyway, we're all eager to see what wonderful job you did once again :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know.. We all love you Zodttd :wub: And we do care about your health so don't work too hard :)
Awsome work Zod.. ;)

Whee!!!

Actually, I begin to believe that everything is doable. Everything. I'm just amazed. And here I was, thinking that the boards had been a bit slow the last weeks... :rolleyes:

Pretty thrilling to read through all this. Nice one, zodttd :)

Great to hear Advance Wars 2 is working, as that is one of the few games which wouldn't work at all on my GBA's Supercard!

One Word : WOW !

I'm realy excited to see how this will works on my 245 Gp2x :D

Toooo much cool

Thanks you Zodttd !
paxl13

Add a bit more performance by assigning the cycle count to a free register. Lots more very simple things like this that I can do to speed things up. :)

245MHz OC for gpSP should be fine. :)

There's still some issues across the board with gpSP. Camelot games (including Mario sports games) and FF6 are going to have issues. The sad truth seems to be that they were poorly coded. Great games though so we'll work on getting them going well.

Mario & Luigi seems to run well though! That has me excited. :p

When this emulator is released, the big emphasis on how to improve performance is hidden in the "game_config.txt" file. In it are performance tweaks on a per-game basis. They are very technical however, and require the knowledge of where idle loops addresses reside and etc. But it does give people a chance to optimize games without me needing to keep up with the 1000's of games. A lot of games are already included thanks to Exophases hard work. :)

Back