Bad films that are actually good

The original Series had an very weird end, I found it just confusing and I guess I'm not the only one.
That's not about that only. It had narration. It had an actual story line that was not garbage like Pacific Rim. It made sense in its own world. Pacific Rim is just plain ridiculous about everything.

"Let us go, our Robot is ANALOG ! It's Nuclear!"

'Nuff said. Del Torro only made a single decent movie, and it wasnt this one.  

How could Blade Runner get any worse?
I guess mister Scott has still some surprises up his sleeve - after Prometheus, everything is possible. I like Blade Runner, but not because of the story (it is merely a shadow of Dicks novel), but because it achives in a field where many movies after it failed: worldbuilding and atmosphere.

Now that you mention it, the Lord of the Rings fits excellent in this thread!
I beg to differ, they are plain boring and stupid movies

How could you compare NGE to one of these modern american hollywood adaptions?
PR is no adaption, it just borrowed certain concepts

That was the only line that really pulled me out - there were other stupid lines, but they were "ok" in the context of PRs level.

I liked Mimic, both Hellboy movies and Pans Labyrinth (too violent) - none of them qualifies as an all time classic, but they are still better than most of the crap that Hollywood usually churns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only decent movie del toro made was the the devils backbone. Low budget but many good ideas and the topic was appealing. Pans labyrinth was extremely boring, i expected much better. Hellboys just deserved a big MEH. He should just stop making movies at this point.

PR is no adaption, it just borrowed certain concepts

Come on, it's fairly obvious they were copying Evangelion in one way or another: the nervous connection with the pilots, the monsters coming from god knows where, the systematic destruction of cities during robot fights... 

You can pretend it's a "borrowing" but the common elements are so numerous it's a hard case to make. 

Despite the borrowing, they completely failed to capture any appeal of Evangelion. We needed someone way more subtle than Del Toro for that to happen. 

I like Blade Runner, but not because of the story (it is merely a shadow of Dicks novel), but because it achieves in a field where many movies after it failed: worldbuilding and atmosphere.
Blade Runner's story is very simple, but it's a great movie because of the sets, the atmosphere (and music), and the actors performance and the fact that it's extremely believable. So few science fiction movies can manage to achieve this.

That's precisely why Blade Runner is a milestone. 

It's a masterpiece. 

And I especially like everything that's unsaid. There is a great amount of gestual / eye communication in this movie that you don't see anymore in movies these days. Real actors stuff.  

So many script writers should seriously ask themselves : 'is it necessary to say something here to convey anything? Is there something more subtle you could do instead of using your stupid mouth?". PR is the exact opposite of that: tons of useless dialog that brings nothing, nothing at all and just bores you to death. 

Evangelion is very much like Blade Runner in that sense. There's very little said, very little discussed. It's all in the attitude and the characters. 

@everyone: If you have not done it yet:

Read the books rather than watching the movie adaptions of Philip K. Dicks classics,

especcially "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" (aka Blade Runner).

You'll hate the movies afterwards, though. ;)

I've never seen a mix of sci-fi, noir, philosophy (including religion), crime and drama like in this book.

It is not even a thick book, so a good movie adaption would not have been this big of a problem.

I really like all the realistic uncertainties in all of the characters and that they are projected so well.

The journeys into this kind of "dreamweb" they have got there are also very interesting.

I think, I have to read it again, it was a long time ago.

Breakin'

(or Breakdance: The Movie in the UK)

Absolute fucking classic. I grew up on this! The acting is somewhere between enthusiastic and horrendous. Some of the poppin' and locking is still amazing; Boogaloo Shrimp aka Michael Chambers aka Turbo and Pop n' Taco aka Bruno Falcon aka Electro Rock 1 are wonderful, everyone else is mediocre or awful (especially the main female star and the female brought in by the rival crew). Terrible freestyle rapping from a pre-rap career, pre-reality show Ice T and give yourself a bonus for spotting a pre-fame Belgian action movie star enthusiastically shaking his booty in a most embarrassing fashion. Speaking of fashion, he's also wearing what can only be described as a "man-leotard".

The dialogue, street-gang stylin' and faux street-rep pride are all cringe-worthy. There's some fairly good music, but the plot is Hollywood rubbish with a "happy" ending for all but the villain. I still love it and now so does my 10 year old daughter! My wife hates me for that. One day when the twins are older, I'll introduce them to it.... :)

The original Series had an very weird end, I found it just confusing and I guess I'm not the only one.
That's not about that only. It had narration. It had an actual story line that was not garbage like Pacific Rim. It made sense in its own world. Pacific Rim is just plain ridiculous about everything.

Uh, it's "just" a Hollywood Movie, of course you have to switch off your brain before watching such movies to enjoy them, then you can have fun with these. ;)  

Evangelion is very much like Blade Runner in that sense. There's very little said, very little discussed. It's all in the attitude and the characters.
Many Animes are very much like Blade Runner, Ideas, style... Ghost in the Shell, Akira etc..  I'm sure that such Animes would not be the same without Blade Runner, I guess the Movie is still pretty popular in Japan. I actualy found Blade runner just boring (I already see the shocked fanboy faces :D ), same like 2001 by the way, tastes are different.

Uh, it's "just" a Hollywood Movie, of course you have to switch off your brain before watching such movies to enjoy them,
I beg your pardon. There were excellent movies from Hollywood in the 80s while being genuinely entertaining. Back to the Future, for example. You dont need to insult people brains to have fun.

I actualy found Blade runner just boring
It depends in what mood you watch it as well. It's not a movie for popcorn and to watch with your gf/wife during a sunday afternoon. It needs a proper setting.

Ghost in the Shell, Akira etc.. I'm sure that such Animes would not be the same without Blade Runner,
I wouldn't exaggerate the influence of Blade Runner in Japan. There was also a "Cyberpunk" wave in the 80s all around the Role Playing Game Scene, that may have had influence as well.

I'd add Independence Day to the list of bad films that are good; sorry if it's been mentioned already. It has a pretty poor plot, some cringe-worthy acting, awful dialogue and the whole computer virus bit, well... the less said about that the better. But I just love it.

Do not get me wrong, I am a fan of him and got the martial arts instruction booklets he has written by himself,

and use some of it as a basis for body mechanics,

but most of the Bruce Lee movies are utter crap that is enormously fun to watch.

The storyline and the acting of most of the actors is always very poor, but there are some things, that make these movies so awesome that I had to get them all on BD:

First of all Lees martial art and the choreography, no doubt,

but also his facial expressions (hillarious) and some of the camera angles, positions and movements.

It is so sad, that he and his son (I like The Crow) both died so young.

Lees martial art and the choreography, no doubt,
Agree. They are fun to watch, just like Jackie Chan movies can be fun as well (the older one, not the Rush Hour crap)
Well, the comparison between these two actually never really came to my mind,

but I noticed, that this train of thought "Bruce Lee - Jacky Chan" is very common.

Ok, they both introduced martial arts movies to a broad american audience,

but you can see, that Bruce Lee is a former dancing tutor with an inhuman capability of martial arts

(he was already 20years old when he really started this kind of career and was a master of masters only 10 years later - others need a lifetime for that)

while Jacky Chan originally is a funny guy from the ancient chinese opera.

I like the totally different approach and humour of both.

But you're right, Rush Hour and all the similar ones are just crap.

Come on, it's fairly obvious they were copying Evangelion in one way or another: the nervous connection with the pilots, the monsters coming from god knows where, the systematic destruction of cities during robot fights...
I guess I have to educate myself about Evangelion, but the only aspect which could be ripped off is the nervous connection, "destroying cities" and "monsters coming from god knows" are genre inherent "motives".
Blade Runner's story is very simple, but it's a great movie because of the sets, the atmosphere (and music), and the actors performance and the fact that it's extremely believable. So few science fiction movies can manage to achieve this.

That's precisely why Blade Runner is a milestone. 

It's a masterpiece.
 +++1
You'll hate the movies afterwards, though. ;)
But this can work in both ways - after reading 2001 I could fully understand why Kubrick did it the way he did, because Clarke, just explains everything into complete boredome. I wonder why he did it, did he had the urge to explain the things Kubrick deliberatly left unexplained?

They were definately better, my favourite is still Armour of God II (engl. title):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whapikQ0XCs

Speaking of which, I liked the "Aces go places" movies a lot as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8vRroBfrvRE?feature=oembedPossibly due to the fact, that the localization, totally changed the humor of these movies.

I beg your pardon. There were excellent movies from Hollywood in the 80s while being genuinely entertaining. Back to the Future, for example. You dont need to insult people brains to have fun.
I never insult anyone, at least not on purpose. ;) No worrys, I'm on your side.And I actualy talked more about the modern blockbuster "explosion" Movies, not Hollywood in general. I meant "Michael Bay stuff" mainly. And I guess I've seen BttF trilogy more than any other movies, even Star Wars and I've seen SW alot. :D

I'd add Independence Day to the list of bad films that are good; sorry if it's been mentioned already. It has a pretty poor plot, some cringe-worthy acting, awful dialogue and the whole computer virus bit, well... the less said about that the better. But I just love it.
Agree, the Directors Cut is also a little bit better than the Cinema Version. "B-Movie" with AAA Budget and to much patriotism I would call it.
I've heared, Jackie Chan sayes the same about the Movies. :D

1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott!
What-what the hell is a gigawatt?

1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott!

What-what the hell is a gigawatt?
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're going to see some serious shit. :D
Do not get me wrong, I am a fan of him and got the martial arts instruction booklets he has written by himself,

and use some of it as a basis for body mechanics,

but most of the Bruce Lee movies are utter crap that is enormously fun to watch.

The storyline and the acting of most of the actors is always very poor, but there are some things, that make these movies so awesome that I had to get them all on BD:

First of all Lees martial art and the choreography, no doubt,

but also his facial expressions (hillarious) and some of the camera angles, positions and movements.

It is so sad, that he and his son (I like The Crow) both died so young.
For it's time, I guess these movies were pretty good, there was a big Kung Fu wave because of his movies. ^^ Acting may be strange somehow but most of Bruce Lee's behaviour was to taunt his enemies. It's like 70's clothes today, cool and trendy back then but carnival now. :D
i've seen "Ip Man" and recently "Ip Man 2", pretty good movies, about the (more or less fictional) life of the later Trainer of Bruce Lee.

Back